ReefCleaners.org

Freshwater API tests OK for saltwater?

Fiver

Hello,

Can I use my freshwater API kit to test nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia in my saltwater setup? I've read online that I can, and that only the ammonia color table is different.

I just want to vet that information with you guys. My live rock arrives tomorrow!

Thanks!

righttirefire

There is a special color chart for the saltwater. You can Google search the api test kit color chart for freshwater to saltwater. That's what I used. It's inaccurate. And never reads 0 on ammonia. Nitrites will read 0 and I've never compared my api nitrates to red sea nitrates test... I see no issues doing it. Just get the corrected color chart

There is a special color chart for the saltwater. You can Google search the api test kit color chart for freshwater to saltwater. That's what I used. It's inaccurate. And never reads 0 on ammonia. Nitrites will read 0 and I've never compared my api nitrates to red sea nitrates test... I see no issues doing it. Just get the corrected color chart

Sorry; I'm confused. The saltwater color chart is inaccurate? If ammonia never reads 0, what's the good of using the test? Thanks for your input.

righttirefire

The api kits are inaccurate in general. As fair as I've seen personally and seen pictures here, nano-reef, ammonia is always a touch on the greener side of yellow.

Simulated Fish

The api kits are inaccurate in general. As fair as I've seen personally and seen pictures here, nano-reef, ammonia is always a touch on the greener side of yellow.

+1 My API test kits are ALWAYS on the more green side of yellow. I even ran the test with RO/DI water to make sure I wasn't crazy!

My API Ph, nitrites, and nitrates are always spot on when compared with my buddies red sea and salifert tests. Remember to use exactly 5mL and drop the correct amount of the chem. One of the biggest reasons API gets a bad rep is because they have all the chems pre-mixed and if you don't turn the bottles upside down and give them a good vigorous 30 sec shake to mix them well before you use them your test won't read correctly.

On a budget API work fine - that said if you run into a problem and the main culprit is most likely ammonia I would pick up a salifert one to make sure your levels are reading correctly. Don't be scared to use API, I know it's taboo on most forums but I have had ZERO problems with them. Also TBH you hear many stories on the forum about Hanna Checkers having inconsistent or just way off results, despite them being high dollar digital testers.

BTW my local Petco had the master reef kit on clearance for $9.00 because they don't carry SW anymore and that's a deal you can't pass up! So check your local Petco, if you have one, they were not labeled as clearance so make sure to price check them.

Just my .02 and then some!

righttirefire

I'm not "big" on testing anyways. I do test out of habit. But Everyone will read a test a little different. I use red sea reef foundations and algea control so does my LFS we don't read my water the same. I keep a log and use it more for comparison purpose. For instance. My DKH has been dropping and I've been doing but my Mg and Ca are rock solid with water changes. And I couple use more nitrates and less phospates... but they're all maintaining

Archived