Innovative Marine Aquariums

Oversizing 40b stand...safe?

ps2cho

So I want to oversize the stand but I'm reading the frame is supposed to rest on the beams even if I have a good ply top...

What's the best way to make sure the weight is supported?

righttirefire

Untitled_zpslpwo0a5r.jpg

This was my idea. I ran stringers front to back and across the face and back if tank. I'll get a picture of the tank removed...

righttirefire

Should you have legs under the stringers so it's not just screws in shear holding it up?

You know I never considered that as a possible issue. 40 gallons of water is roughly 350#, 50# of rock and 40# of sand. Thats 450# supported by 8 screws and glue...

I'm not an engineer. But I need to stay dry

Just make your top box frame as big as you want, put some cross members in there and put a wood top on it. Support the frame by resting it on top of 2x4 legs and you're done.

So in general we tend to way overbuild our tanks. Though admittedly it's very important because even if a lesser stand can hold the weight we particularly don't even want any sag. We want the tank to sit perfectly flat.

IMO if you use high quality screws, such as the SPAX construction screws you'll probably be fine, along with a 3/4" piece of ply for the top.

If you're concerned and don't want to use support legs you could also mortise the pieces together using glue and screws. That will probably have more shear power than screws.

Untitled_zpslpwo0a5r.jpg

This was my idea. I ran stringers front to back and across the face and back if tank. I'll get a picture of the tank removed...

That design with a piece of 3/4" ply on top is perfectly fine, The ply will help spread the weight out to the legs, and keep it supported as well. Glue and screw and its legit.

Never even thought about this. I am planning on making my 40b stand pretty much the dimensions of a 75 so this is very helpful.

Just build it for the 75 or whatever you want and tie in supports from front to back the length of the 40B, slap a sheet of 3/4" ply over top and you will be perfectly fine.... just like the design above.. If you were going to build a stand for an 8' 240 but only putting a 4' 120 on it then I would be concerned with adding some bottom bracing as well but a 40 on a 75 isn't an issue.

Archived