Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Softie garden: Dandelion's 6.25 Arc

dandelion

Hey let me know how you like it when you have it set up!

I ordered the AutoAqua. It's better than the tunze nano and way smaller than the universal so I think it will be perfect for my 11 gallon build.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny I just saw the osmolator universal on sale for $147 on BRS. But like you said I think Autoaqua has the smallest footprint.

I'm having a hard time deciding on this one. I don't want to spend too much money on the easiest thing to manually do for my tank. if I could find the universal under $150, I think I would do that. What are some other good options around $100 if possible?

How is the AutoAqua smart ATO? That one looks really nice.

Funny I just saw the osmolator universal on sale for $147 on BRS. But like you said I think Autoaqua has the smallest footprint.

2 days ago I would have gone for that, but I realized the AutoAqua keeps the waterline pretty stable. There isn't as much fluctuation as the osmolator so I think ts better for a small tank.

I set up the AutoAqua today. Super easy! Really small and quiet. I put a 2.5" wide 1.5 gallon slim jug between my cabinet and my fridge and it is a perfect hidden reservoir. I also added a few pounds of dryrock that is going in the next tank in a few weeks so I figured I would acclimate it now since I don't have fish at the moment. I've got to hide the wires better, but the next tank will go right to the end of the countertop.

post-89427-0-67455200-1448481846_thumb.jpg

That jug works perfect! I can't see in your picture but make sure you either 1) put a check valve in the output airline or 2) hang the output airline high enough so it is above water surface. If not tank water can siphon backward into your freshwater reservoir.

And don't you think they have designed the jug specifically for fitting in between your cabinet and fridge :D

I set up the AutoAqua today. Super easy! Really small and quiet. I put a 2.5" wide 1.5 gallon slim jug between my cabinet and my fridge and it is a perfect hidden reservoir. I also added a few pounds of dryrock that is going in the next tank in a few weeks so I figured I would acclimate it now since I don't have fish at the moment. I've got to hide the wires better, but the next tank will go right to the end of the countertop.

Like the anti. Its funny because I made one about the same time. The reservoir idea is cool.

Is the tubing submerged in the sump? Try to leave an air cap of you can because while it's very slow the aqualifter can back siphon.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the tube is about an inch from the water in the back fuge compartment. When I set it up in the next tank, I think I'll have it dump into the aquaclear 70. The thing learns, which is cool, but annoying right now. When I first set it up, the hose was wide open so it topped off quick. I pinched the hose tighter to slow the flow down and an alarm went off when it topped off because it took 3 times longer to fill than the previous time. So after a few top offs it will learn what is normal and trigger an auto shutoff alarm if it registers 3 times longer. It also triggers if the period between top offs is longer than usual.

This is the alarm instructions.

post-89427-0-93867800-1448500481_thumb.jpg

post-89427-0-78145100-1448501056_thumb.jpg

It is just so slightly above water surface. I also have a check valve to prevent back siphon.

Like the anti. Its funny because I made one about the same time. The reservoir idea is cool.

Is the tubing submerged in the sump? Try to leave an air cap of you can because while it's very slow the aqualifter can back siphon.

Does it only make an audible alarm or does it shut off the pump? That's not very much help if you're out of town on vacation!

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the tube is about an inch from the water in the back fuge compartment. When I set it up in the next tank, I think I'll have it dump into the aquaclear 70. The thing learns, which is cool, but annoying right now. When I first set it up, the hose was wide open so it topped off quick. I pinched the hose tighter to slow the flow down and an alarm went off when it topped off because it took 3 times longer to fill than the previous time. So after a few top offs it will learn what is normal and trigger an auto shutoff alarm if it registers 3 times longer. It also triggers if the period between top offs is longer than usual.

This is the alarm instructions.

Does it only make an audible alarm or does it shut off the pump? That's not very much help if you're out of town on vacation!

It just kept beeping and I had to unplug the power and plug it back in. I'm not sure if it would continue to function while beeping or if the pump is completely disabled. I think once it gets the patterns logged in, it will be reliable. I wouldn't hook it up and leave town right away.

the instructions didn't say it'll shut off. I guess that's one thing I liked about tunze. I was looking for a relay that only turns on 5 minutes at a time too, but it seems they can only delay turning on for 5 minutes instead of turning off after 5.

It just kept beeping and I had to unplug the power and plug it back in. I'm not sure if it would continue to function while beeping or if the pump is completely disabled. I think once it gets the patterns logged in, it will be reliable. I wouldn't hook it up and leave town right away.

I'll get the hang of it in a few weeks before I set up the new tank. I just like how the water level barely fluctuates with this device.

This is what I'm working with for space. I'm not allowed to use cabinets above or below. Do you think a sump is possible behind the tank?

post-89427-0-05510800-1448561927_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first coral today! Did a Bayer dip for 5 minutes then washed off like 3 or 4 times with tank water before finally going in! I got a pretty bad ass one.... Acan lord is probably a bit too aggressive for such a small tanks, but I figured maybe putting it away in a corner will help subdue its temperament.

How do I tell if it's healthy or not? And what are these filaments?

8B0B5EBB-043F-420A-A2B8-5CA8FF333752_zps

3CB86605-3743-4470-9B61-C6FC8C9A932A_zps

Looks like you pissed it off with the dip. Those filaments are stress slimming as I like to refer them. You can gentle blow them off with a turkey baster. It is receded quite a bit but should be coming back around within a few hrs. You can tell if it's happy if it looks like any of the pics you find of them online. Also Acans can sting but you are probably thinking of acan echinatas which have super long stinging tentacles and are really aggressive. Lords only need 1" of space and they're good..

Looks like it has plumped up now and colors are showing. Those filaments are disappearing except for a long one hanging on the side. I added a pretty high dose of Bayer: 10mL Bayer in 120mL (1/2 cup) water. Then I blasted at it with the dip water using the syringe I measured my Bayer with....

I'll try feeding it maybe tonight and see how it goes.

763C47E7-750A-4B73-A6A4-92CB58E74DF3_zps

Looks like you pissed it off with the dip. Those filaments are stress slimming as I like to refer them. You can gentle blow them off with a turkey baster. It is receded quite a bit but should be coming back around within a few hrs. You can tell if it's happy if it looks like any of the pics you find of them online. Also Acans can sting but you are probably thinking of acan echinatas which have super long stinging tentacles and are really aggressive. Lords only need 1" of space and they're good..

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated for too long! In the meantime I have upgraded the light to an AI Prime and added 6 more coral frags. Acan lord was browned out for a while, but after upgrading the light its red ring of fire has come back! I even see a new bud coming out from the side.

Zoa colony with one that has a different green:

C01DC127-1DEA-4CB8-BE6D-59C6E392DEF7_zps

Light didn't feel right on the side:

IMG_6143_zpsydah0bf7.jpg

Arm is too long so I have to tilt the light inward:

IMG_6144_zpss6qnibkj.jpg

My current light settings (max at 17W):

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-31%20at%201.50.5

Can anyone identify what's those filaments are between the two zoas?

IMG_6151_zps9byvr2h8.jpg

Bonus: Oreo and Prince (in quarantine)

IMG_6154_zpsobf9cgin.jpg

Went to an LFS that is a little further from home today. My closest LFS does not carry SPS. Here're the 2 $10 SPS frags I got to try. I'm guessing they are some kind of encrusting montipora and cauliflower coral? I'll post more pictures when they start extending.

03481A35-8B30-4367-BB82-81EDB63DB33B_zps

D904C23E-ADA1-466B-B65D-9BC13B0B6715_zps

A picture of my budding Acan:

9AC8EA74-1A85-4EA3-B11E-58E3A10DF8F4_zps

Pest I killed with my bayer dip. Any idea what this is?

571F9ADD-011C-4578-BCBB-930FAC0BD1F2_zps

Looks like the pocillopora is bleached at the base. :( The top looks really healthy. I have put the 40GPH stock pump to the left side of the back glass to blow toward the front. This created some movements in the polyps. I'll get another 80GPH and maybe do the same on the right side except I'll try to get some risers/elbows to cross the return pump water flow.

The monti looks really pretty. Just need some extra flow to get the polyps moving.

E4178CDB-74A8-4931-9D85-96C4A59C5790_zps

F83C4442-80AF-4B5F-B43F-D740783A192B_zps

B41C6A1C-B291-4ADA-89F7-B6DAE4346718_zps

They don't look like worms in person. They look more like a film on the rocks that extends a string as it reaches the edge of the rock to flow freely with the current. Most people seem to suggest they're Dino in my thread in the ID section. It's not out of hand yet so I'll just leave it as is for now.

I could be wrong but those stringy things belong to a spagetti warm harmless and good to have.they eat left over food and debree.

Both SPS look really happy IMO. I can't really tell from the picture but if that Poci is darker green look out, it will lose polyps (look to be dying) and they will spring up everywhere. :) On pumps, other rocks, the back wall, you name it. I think they're fun, but just something to be aware of.

Archived