SaltCritters.com

Shallow 30g rimless cube. Battling green slime......

jinx

Awhile back, I sold the 35g cube setup that I built.. I couldn't live without a cube in the house, so I'm back at it again.. LOL. I picked up a DB 30g rimless that I'm currently building a stand for. Pictures to follow sometime soon!

• Like 1
wow.such.chris

Looking forward to it. I'm looking to upgrade in the near future to the DB 30 or 34. I'm liking the cubey dimensions of the 30 though. Did you get the RR or no? Sumped?

• Like 1

I never get RR tanks. The stock overflows suck on the majority of the RR ones. Thinking about getting a Trigger Systems cube sump for this build. Not quite sure if I want the 20" Ruby, or the 18" Crystal yet.

Still have a ton of work to do on the stand..

10425092_1050115138334413_21228600327689

• Like 1
wow.such.chris

Nice. I agree the RR setup looks pretty dumb to me. And the stand looks awesome so far. Are you gonna paint it? Is that a drawer you're building? I like how you sunk the bottom frame into the top, looks good. Can I get a shot of the underside of the top to see how its all supported? The more stand pictures the better! I have very limited wood working skills and would like to see as many examples as I can. What's the overflow plan? I can keep asking but I think thats good for now...

• Like 1

Thanks. Yeah, it'll get painted when I'm done with it. I still have to do more reinforcements, finish the exterior skin, build the doors for the sides and front, caulk it all, and do lots of finishing work to it before paint. Yep, it's a drawer! As with all of my tank builds, I do internal overflow boxes. This build I'll be doing a toothless overflow.

Stand framing is 2x2 pine. All external is 3/4 pine. Glued, nailed, and screwed where needed. I'll grab some pics of the interior when I get back to working on it. stand is 3ft tall btw.

12096553_1048935201785740_45048130761538

12063361_1049897798356147_84360416806175

1623629_1050279044984689_346131072914023

• Like 4

Picked up a battery powered LED light w/ remote for the sump area so I can use it if needed when the refugium light is off. The light is plenty bright for down there. Also got the doors cut and started fitting them. Decided I'm also going to make a deeper drawer for it.

12049603_1050454124967181_55573107791309

11034289_1050454201633840_52558853160900

• Like 1

I was going to do the doors and drawer flush with the exterior, but I didn't like the hinging options available locally. I want every usable inch of space inside the sump. This is also why I'm redoing the drawer.

wow.such.chris

Thanks for getting some of the pics I asked for up. Have you seen those hinges that NGAHillybilly used? The hinges come apart so you can remove the doors if need be.

wow.such.chris

Lookin good. Have you thought about water dripping between the tank and stand and potentially causing a problem? Are you keeping he back open?

Not worried about water getting in there after it's sealed and painted. There's no more than a papers width between the tank and where it seats. I made sure it's very tight. Back is getting closed up and doors/drawer weather stripped to prevent light leaking. I'll be adding a ventilation fan on the back somewhere.

wow.such.chris

Any sump decisions? I was checking out the ones you were talking about earlier. Man, they look sweet but they're pricey! I like the layout though, might have to make one. What's the plan for lighting this thing?

98% sure that I'm going with the Trigger System 18" cube. Cannibalizing the two 24" 120w Taotronic full spectrum LED fixtures from my 75g setup which is getting moved to another room. Might be a bit overkill, but they grow sps very well. This will be a sps dominated tank.

Looking really good- gonna be a great looking reef. I also looked at the trigger sumps- Ruby and crystal for my 50 cube- major price difference with the only major difference between them beside slight dimension is the Ruby has an adjustable skimmer area. I went with Eshopps RS- 75 new quiet sump- I liked how the water inlet flows into a chamber then into sock area. It is a really nice quiet sump, a little small but I was limited to under 24" length sump because of my stand. Looking forward to seeing this build develop. What are you thinking for lighting and corals?

Looking really good- gonna be a great looking reef. I also looked at the trigger sumps- Ruby and crystal for my 50 cube- major price difference with the only major difference between them beside slight dimension is the Ruby has an adjustable skimmer area. I went with Eshopps RS- 75 new quiet sump- I liked how the water inlet flows into a chamber then into sock area. It is a really nice quiet sump, a little small but I was limited to under 24" length sump because of my stand. Looking forward to seeing this build develop. What are you thinking for lighting and corals?

98% sure that I'm going with the Trigger System 18" cube. Cannibalizing the two 24" 120w Taotronic full spectrum LED fixtures from my 75g setup which is getting moved to another room. Might be a bit overkill, but they grow sps very well. This will be a sps dominated tank.

• Like 1