SaltCritters.com

Shallow 30g rimless cube. Battling green slime......

jinx

Pics make the rock look less interesting than it really is. I dug this out of my rock pile and cleaned the crap out of it.. I also cut it to hug the overflow a little. This will be the only dry rock that will be added. I'm going to set it up for a week or so running water from a partial change from the 75, including sand and some LR from it before even attempting to move anything over. I have some acro's that will not be happy with the move and I'm not looking forward to stressing them out..

12227789_1058723634140230_72873128442019

12227088_1058723667473560_19830360351568

• Like 2

Sump should be here tomorrow and if all goes well, it'll be wet by the end of the weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed the sump doesn't show up damaged... All of my mail services are complete idiots and have booched many of my shipments up.

They're great bits of kit. I sold mine and got a single RW-15 which works better for my setup (the 4's weren't man enough to be one end of my 3X2X2 as it's set up pernisula). But they'll be perfect for your cube.

Plumbing done! Doing a fill with just RO and once that's done, doing a test run for a little while to check function and for leaks. The loc lines won't be here until Monday.

Love how you cut the rock in the back. Why the heck have I never thought of that? I have always had at least ONE piece that could have been cut like that to make the tank perfect. Oh well.. maybe on the next tank :P

• Like 1

Was going to do it a little deeper, but the wet saw is too violent to go any thinner on the back side. I already broke some of it off by accident doing what I did.

While waiting for the the tank to fill, I made a screen cap for the overflow to test it out. It sits a little lower than the top edge. Made from egg crate and craft mesh glued together. It was quick and dirty.. Hopefully it doesn't slow too much flow.

11224210_1059869770692283_48339178565660

• Like 2

Nice.

If you get problems with it clogging you could try doing this instead.

overflow%20guard_zpszu3oqykz.png

Looks like you have the egg crate cut like the left hand image, if you cut it like the right hand one and maybe trimmed the mesh top to be 5mm off the edges of the overflow so there is no restriction to water pouring over, but the gap is small enough any fish/critter can't get down there.
I have an overflow comb on my weir and I still found a hermit crab in the filter sock the other day. Little buggers will get anywhere when they put their minds to it lol.

There is a gap around the entire piece with free flow. I'm putting my Jebao dc12000 on this, so it's going to flow a ton. I also put the durso almost all the way to the bottom to help suck up junk that settles in the overflow, it also stops snails and such from getting into the drain lines. Has worked perfectly fine for all of my previous setups. This will be my first smooth overflow though.

Tidy, I like it.

I've learnt so much recently and needed to add equipment as I've gone. I did think to install drip lines in my plumbing on this system to allow me to quickly and easily acclimate new stock floating in the sump which has been really useful, my next system will hopefully be purpose setup for how I run my tank with what I have learnt and feature nice thoughts like a direct supply line for a reactor etc.

Keep up the good work. Really looking forward to this stocked.

• Like 1

Beautiful sump. That's a CA reactor? The jealousy is through the roof!

It is. Not pictured is the 20oz co2 tank/valve, and the Milwaukee PH controller. One tank lasts me about 2.5/3 months on my 75g. Works great. Only problem I've had with it was the sicce pump burned up for no reason. I had to replace it a couple weeks back..

that skimmer is a beast. sump looks sick as #### man

Been running it on my 75g for over a year in the sump and I've a hard time keeping nutrients in the tank with it skimming full tilt.. I just dislike the cup size. Other than that, it's a damn good skimmer and works just as well in the sump. I like having more room in the sump for other stuff than a skimmer taking up a huge section.

Tidy, I like it.

I've learnt some much recently and needed to add equipment as I've gone. I did think to install drip lines in my plumbing on this system to allow me to quickly and easily acclimate new stock floating in the sump which has been really useful, my next system will hopefully be purpose setup for how I run my tank with what I have learnt and feature nice thoughts like a direct supply line for a reactor etc.

Keep up the good work. Really looking forward to this stocked.

I plan on splitting the reactor feed line for other purposes.

Sucks I couldn't find any black sand locally that doesn't have iron bits and other shit in it.. Ah well. I still need to move over my battery backup, heater, ref light, and return pump. I'm planning on tackling the tank swap tomorrow if all goes well. Gotta love having all dc pumps and the UPS, I get six hours of pump action if the power goes out and it's good for keeping my heater controller from resetting.

lilmatty5dimes

Sadly, 4 LFS, 2 different brands of black sand.. and they all had magnetic materials in them :\ Back to white I guess.

i love the black sand look makes the corals pop more but the magnetic in them sucks to much. white looks good after you get all the algae stages done.

Figuring out where everything will go well before I start moving stuff over.

12249712_1060124930666767_74287280590304

looking very good. love how tidy your sump area is no matter how hard i try it looks like that for maybe a few weeks and ends up all messy again. lol

• Like 1

Got the refugium light temporarily hung. I intend to lower it more. Quad T5HO. Display is salted just so I could get the new sand in and settled. All water will be replaced with water from my 75g. I'll be moving some sand over to get get the display sand seeded and the ref full. I'm hoping with all my LR and not too much of my sand will avoid any cycling. The 75g has been up for almost 2 years now.

12208291_1060674117278515_71753549461417

• Like 1