SaltCritters.com

TANK TRANSFER - 20 GALLON TO RED SEA MAX!

isaacharry

So Tomorrow is the big day, I am transferring my 20 gallon to my red sea max. Any tips on doing this without causing a cycle? Keep old water? live rock? sand? should i make all new water? any products to use?

Match the parameters and that's about it. Water itself barely has any bacteria in there. When I transferred to a new tank I put the live rock and corals into a big tub with new salt water with the same parameters as the the old tank water. From there I put the new tank in the right place and then started transferring the sand directly into the new tank. After that I started filling the new tank with water from the big tub. I put enough so that I can put the live rock into the new tank without sitting out in the air. Obviously don't fill it to the very top with water before adding the live rock or you're going to overflow the tank, haha. After adding the live rock to the tank I added the fish and was good to go.

I always just replaced the sand bed personally. I'm always concerned about sturring up all the trapped baddies in the sand during a move. As far as water I treat it like a water change, usually keeping 50% of the old water. But as long as the parameters are the same like VW said, I'm sure you'll be fine if you choose to do more or less. Other than that I agree with VW's approach :) Keep your live rock in the water and you shouldn't have any die off.

So Tomorrow is the big day, I am transferring my 20 gallon to my red sea max. Any tips on doing this without causing a cycle? Keep old water? live rock? sand? should i make all new water? any products to use?

I second the replacing of the sand bed. My wife and I just replaced the sand bed in a 25g cube. the steps were as follows.

1) Empty as much water as possible into large tub/buckets, put live rock in there as well

2) catch fish and put in different bucket

3) take out sand

4) put in new sand

5) place live rock in

6) fill tank with water without disturbing sand, I just slowly pour the water over the live rock

7) Let filter clean water and sand settle for 1-2hrs

8) Top off with new water

9) drip acclimate fish for 30min and put back in tank

You may not need to acclimate the fish, I did just to be on the safe side. The whole process took us about 3hrs or so. We did a heavy cleaning of the glass when the tank was empty so that ate up some time.

Archived