inTank Media Baskets

Sun corals

Hammerstone

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again I got flaked on by my eldest son who was going to drive me out to the LFS. I'm new in this town, there's no LFS here, and haven't had to drive on the freeway in a long time. Just surface streets. But I don't want to keep waiting so I might just have to figure it out. I just thought of something. You are supposed to dip your corals before you put them into the DT right. Can you bring your coral out into the air? Does anyone feel like giving me yet more insight about corals? ? thanks again!! From total noob!!

Once again I got flaked on by my eldest son who was going to drive me out to the LFS. I'm new in this town, there's no LFS here, and haven't had to drive on the freeway in a long time. Just surface streets. But I don't want to keep waiting so I might just have to figure it out. I just thought of something. You are supposed to dip your corals before you put them into the DT right. Can you bring your coral out into the air? Does anyone feel like giving me yet more insight about corals? ? thanks again!! From total noob!!

I wouldn't dip a dendro coral as long as it is not attached to live rock.

To acclimate corals you put the bag in the tank to match temperature, then slowly add tank water.

Later you can use your hands to take it out from the bag, and place it in the tank.

It can be in the air briefly; just the less the better.

Trash the fish store water when you're done in case there's something bad in it

Do you glue it to your live rock if it's attached to live rock or if it isn't on live rock? Or do you just place it where you would like it to live. I haven't been able to find this one thing. Thank you for ^your answer ?

Like I'm my other post I got my sun coral!! Lots of polyps. They are acclimating right now. I just noticed one little brown head in the mix, what do I do? I was going to just leave it and take care of all the rest And hope they grow over it or something. I'll feed it a lot of mysis via turkey bAster.

Oh I saw what the LFS was selling their Dendros for, 75 dollars a head. That made my decision for me though they were big and beautiful. Is that a normal price? They had a rock with three heads on it. I have to get used to the coral addiction fund lol. Have to get my husbands permission before I buy anything.

Yeah I have no ideas on prices and I walked over because I rwcognized it and then turned back around and was like oh hell no. I'd pay 20 a head. I think its so overpriced because there's nothing like it anywhere. They do take care of their livestock really well, but it's not fare to rip people off because of it.

Acclimated and glued. One mouth is in an O shape different than the others. Ok I'll quit bugging you guys now. It's just this is my very first coral and I want it to flourish.

A question... So I wake up my corals by putting a puff of mysis or brine water from the defrosted cubes and then I feed each one, and after awhile they are in flower again. Does that mean they are still begging for food or just that they are awake. There's sometims a few that don't want to eat no matter how hard I try. I think I got those ones yesterday. have some baby bumps that don't open yet they are tiny little nodules.

I'm feeding them every day and they are looking better and better ???it is kind of hard to feed each one but I know it'll get easier the more I do it. Sometimes I miss the target and the food blows away and not on the coral. The feeding is worth it.

That is cool!!!! Does he just walk around on the sand? Does he venture onto the rocks? Do you feed him, is he like the Suns and prefer less light? Sorry so many questions!! ?

thecoralbeauty

I want to make a clarifying point. There are many non-photosynthetic corals: sun corals are one variety and Dendro's are another. It does not matter how much or how little light you have them in. Flow, however, should be high. It sounds like you're having no problems feeding, but if you ever do encounter the issue of this coral not opening, stick it under higher flow.

Typically, they will come out at night, so a dimmer location would be best if you're looking to feed in the middle of the day, but if you feed as your lights are going down, it shouldn't matter. I've also seen dendros and sun corals in super bright lights and fully extended and eating just fine.

Ive heard reports (and have noticed myself) that you can "train" these corals to come out during certain parts of the day if you are consistent with your feeding schedule. my Dendros are out basically all the time, and the sun coral i have is out from about 5pm to 5am.

Sun corals are colonial, so obviously the more mouths you can feed, the better, however, they are all part of the one organism, so as long as you get food in a few mouths, you should be ok.

so long as the tentacles are out, they are able to feed. you'll notice, however, that sometimes they are more sticky than other times. if you can't get the food to stick, don't force it. you don't want to harm their soft tissues or damage the calcified skeleton.

Thank you so much!!! You have answered all of my questions about the Suns. Now I feel better if two heads don't want to eat. Some are already awake. Most start opening around six Id say. There's plenty of flow but not direct flow. They seem happy ?? dumb luck I guess lol. It doesn't blow the flowers around or anything but if food spills out past the corals it keeps on going!

Mine came unglued as the Cowrie became curious and went up the spire but the Suns didnt fall off luckily. I just righted them and they are fine. We're just not perfectly straight like I tried to put them. There's a spire and the LR is concave so they fit like a puzzle. Is it normal for there to be rock spaces in between patches of Suns? I'm guessing not. About a half an hour ago I fed my clowns which woke up the colony. My poor babies only inflate after a feed and by the next day they are concave, some puff a little. So like I said I'm feeding everyday until I can get them back to health. I just saw them at the store and jumped on them. They definitely need TLC and I think my clowns are going to turn into little whales. Guess what? My husband helped me make a feeding tool out of the turkey baster and some hard airline tubing. He fed the Suns last night lol. He said he wouldn't call it fun lol. Still trying to feed better and less sloppy. The tank is happy at my ghetto feeding tactics. I feed them till they don't want it anymore or have some food sticking out still. About an hour. I feed them after dinner.

That is cool!!!! Does he just walk around on the sand? Does he venture onto the rocks? Do you feed him, is he like the Suns and prefer less light? Sorry so many questions!!

they don't venture onto the rocks but he moves all the time it's not the coral movi g it's the peanut worm inside looking for food in the sand bed I have to and love them I feed them 2 times a week and they always are open and look amazing light or flow doesn't seem to matter with them they go where they want anyway also i think they are photosynthetic anyway but just as cool if not more awsome cause it moves

Sun coral are awesome they just require a lot of feeding and care I found mine like moderate flow and low lighting I just rescued a yellow sun coral which didn't have much time left in my opinion and it's coming back now with lots of feeding but outside the tank so I don't pollute much keep this in mind as you search for your coral they require extra care and time just for them to be fed which may mean more upkeep of the tank g.l

Here are some of mine

20150910_203516-1-1-1-1_1.jpg

20150911_200336.jpg

Your look WAY better than mine. ;-( mine must all be on deaths door. But they eat and everything. Their scrunched up most of the day and the tentacles are tiny. I know I need way more water changes due to the amount of food they require to get it into their mouths. Glad for the bristle worms but now there's going to be millions. Tell me about taking them out. Does it hurt them in any way? Sounds easy enough and easier to get the food to them and better water quality!!!actually I wonder, never mind I don't think I could use a container and put it under the water and scoop them in it without the potential of them rolling around and getting hurt :-( thinking. They are not flat, well the rock is not flat.

I started feeding at about 9 and finished about ten-ish, they kept wanting "more please." I only pissed one off. Shaky hands. It was open and then it stayed closed. But I fed twenty something polyps. Tomorrow I'm going to the pharmacy to get better tools. How long do you think it will take to get mine to healthy like y'alls?

Iam surprised at how the Suns polyps can look fat and happy at night and they must digest everything in one night because in the morning they are squished. Your pictures of Suns look so different than mine. I guess I have no patience for making them healthy. At the LFS they were under really bright light. I asked them how they fed them and when and the guy said well there's not really any set time. Just when the opportunity presents itself. There's one poor little sun left. Looks like mine. I don't think the opportunity was presenting itself like ever. And at the LFS!!! That makes me mad. I'm still excited and having fun with them. I guess they'll get better in a month or something. Still feeding everyday. My clowns are really enjoying this. They see the turkey baster now and start closing in. No thievery so far. I do feed them first but not the frozen food as I know they will be flooded with it later.

Iam surprised at how the Suns polyps can look fat and happy at night and they must digest everything in one night because in the morning they are squished. Your pictures of Suns look so different than mine. I guess I have no patience for making them healthy. At the LFS they were under really bright light. I asked them how they fed them and when and the guy said well there's not really any set time. Just when the opportunity presents itself. There's one poor little sun left. Looks like mine. I don't think the opportunity was presenting itself like ever. And at the LFS!!! That makes me mad. I'm still excited and having fun with them. I guess they'll get better in a month or something. Still feeding everyday. My clowns are really enjoying this. They see the turkey baster now and start closing in. No thievery so far. I do feed them first but not the frozen food as I know they will be flooded with it later.

I use a mini tupperware container and I remove the colony with tank water outside of my tank and add mysis/brine mix to the water for about 30 mins but make sure you move the water once and a while I'll post up a video and pics tonight but I recommend chumming the water first to get them ready about 15 mins before the tupperware feeding anyway tonight I'll post something up

Post a current picture of your Suns so we can help a little more

This is the new yellow polyps I have in pretty bad condition not much tissue but with work and patience they should recover

20151102_192322.jpg

Thank you those look more like mine. I'll try to get a better picture. With my iPod its hard. I'll see if my friend can post it up if I get a good picture.

I wouldn't dip a dendro coral as long as it is not attached to live rock.

To acclimate corals you put the bag in the tank to match temperature, then slowly add tank water.

Later you can use your hands to take it out from the bag, and place it in the tank.

It can be in the air briefly; just the less the better.

Trash the fish store water when you're done in case there's something bad in it

why not dip a dendro? aren't they just a non-photosynthetic LPS?

mine don't stop moving 20151103_131120.jpg

It's on a peanut worm, correct?

thecoralbeauty

why not dip a dendro? aren't they just a non-photosynthetic LPS?

It's on a peanut worm, correct?

yes and yes. no reason not to dip. yes, its on a worm.

Archived