Top Shelf Aquatics

Barnacle Blenny Experience Thread

charnelhouse

I have had the same experience as Jedi with them. They do great and then just disappear to be never seen again. Not sure what happens to them but they are a neat little fish.

Did you have a secure cover over the tank? Barnacle Blennies are jumpers.

Did you have a secure cover over the tank? Barnacle Blennies are jumpers.

Tank is a Nuvo 20 and does have a top. I did search around the tank but did not find anything.

I have no cover on mine. They haven't jumped yet. Lol. Turns out the one I brought home I thought was a female actually is a male too. So now I have two males. They aren't fighting unless it's over a piece of food. Otherwise both just chilling move from hole to hole. Flashing their big sails a lot which is cool.

• 2 weeks later...

While I cannot 100% confirm it, I am relatively certain E. myersi will eat hermit crabs. Circumstantial evidence in support of accusation:

2015-11-01%2008.50.51_zpsxglwec0m.jpg

This is the fish that got removed from the 40 and placed in the 6 because it was getting hammered by the clowns. There was only one hermit in that tank and I have not seen it since this picture. I have also noticed some oddly placed empty shells in the 40 which currently contains another E. myersi.

As a side note, I was mixing Tropic Marin Immunovit and Lipovit with this guy's food after getting thrashed by the clowns hoping to help him recover. I am pretty sure it turned him green :wacko: he was black before the additives.

Archived