inTank Media Baskets

WTB: Yellow Fiji Leather frag

jamescstein

jedimasterben

Believe it or not, I've found a source that is working on them. He claims they are brighter yellow than the Fiji.

BTW, I also acquired a frag of a dwarf japanese green toadstool from the same person. The cap is solid green as well as the polyps, this is not my pic. I'll need to take a photo of it because it's close.

japanese_green_leather.jpg

Are they mariculturing them there? They are only found in Fiji, so it's incredibly unlikely that they are collecting them from Tonga.

That leather is not from Japan. It is 100% illegal to remove corals from that area. It's definitely pretty though :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe it or not, I've found a source that is working on them. He claims they are brighter yellow than the Fiji.

BTW, I also acquired a frag of a dwarf japanese green toadstool from the same person. The cap is solid green as well as the polyps, this is not my pic. I'll need to take a photo of it because it's close.

Woah! I want this!

This the one you are looking for? I've been keeping it fairly low in the tank on advice from LFS. If it gets more lite will it yellow even more?

2015-10-13%2011.34.54_zpsthcd9qbg.jpg

If you ever have frags available, put me in the line :) This is beautiful!

jedimasterben, on 23 Oct 2015 - 12:05 PM, said:jedimasterben, on 23 Oct 2015 - 12:05 PM, said:

Are they mariculturing them there? They are only found in Fiji, so it's incredibly unlikely that they are collecting them from Tonga.

That leather is not from Japan. It is 100% illegal to remove corals from that area. It's definitely pretty though :)

Ben, This person is here in the states.

The leather is indeed from Japan. The lineage goes back some years. There was an on-line vendor, the captive reef, that was selling dendros of all colors as well as this japanese dwarf leather. He sold a frag the size of a dime for around $200 bucks. My piece came from a person who acquired his from that source before they went out of business.

BTW, here is a link with more details and pics about this piece:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921505&highlight=japanese+green+toadstool

Sorry for derailing this thread, I'll start another one if the OP wants.

I'm not sure if this is bright enough for you, but I got this one from Blue Zoo Aquatics last week. It's still acclimating low in my shallow tank. Color is still improving.

Rls3WV8.jpg

jedimasterben

Ben, This person is here in the states.

The leather is indeed from Japan. The lineage goes back some years. There was an on-line vendor, the captive reef, that was selling dendros of all colors as well as this japanese dwarf leather. He sold a frag the size of a dime for around $200 bucks. My piece came from a person who acquired his from that source before they went out of business.

BTW, here is a link with more details and pics about this piece:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921505&highlight=japanese+green+toadstool

Sorry for derailing this thread, I'll start another one if the OP wants.

Japanese stony corals are completely prohibited from collection, soft corals aren't - but that is only for sale within the country. It is illegal to export any live coral at all from Japan. In the thread it mentions that export is legal for soft corals, but it is incorrect. Japan does not issue CITES permits, which are required to move any coral anywhere else.

All in all, it could be Japanese, but it would have been imported into the country illegally, and realistically any company in the chain of custody in their right mind would have refused it to avoid legal complications, so it's really, really unlikely to be legitimately Japanese. :)

I'm also not trying to be a super dick about it, either, but unfortunately even if the lineage can be traced back, it's pretty common for vendors to not tell the whole truth about origin, even though at this point it is probably just carried over as part of the 'name' of the coral.

From what I understand, if it is from Japan, that's trouble. If it is not and it's a naming convention then it is misleading. If the original way back was from Japan, it would be more truthful or better to say the original lineage can be traced back to Japan, But as of today that coral is not Japanese after being propagated in other systems for this long.

We have Fiji coming in in two weeks that the place I work at, which means that shops around Miami, the rest of Florida and other states will have them soon. Only 20 to distribute thought. Just a heads up.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered two fiji leather corals from LA. Both came a bright yellow, not the poopy brown in the picture. Probably just depends what they have in stock though.

We have Fiji coming in in two weeks that the place I work at, which means that shops around Miami, the rest of Florida and other states will have them soon. Only 20 to distribute thought. Just a heads up.

Did they come in yet? Also, assuming you work at a distributor, do they ever allow the public to come in to shop? =)

Thanks, J.

I cut mine. It closed up for a week. Both pieces are fine. I cut a 2 inch frag, but when I attached to a rock it didn't like it. So now it's a 1.5 inch floating frag.

• 3 weeks later...

Wife bought some stuff from Blue Zoo Aquatics and got free shipping, so I took the opertunity to order a Yellow Fiji.

This is 5 min after introduction to my tank, we'll see how it looks when its comfortable.

1D82E2D8-0589-4750-A5F1-EE2A933A373D.jpg

Looks really nice.... You can see the yellow polyps. Make sure it gets plenty of light and flow as I understand they are the "SPS" of soft corals.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some Yellow Figi's available for anyone that is still interested.

What size, how much, shipping? etc

And photos? Any photos available?

:) Thank you!

Basser - where is your tank thread? I can't seem to find it! I wanted to check out your bright green toad!

Stella, my tank is going through a re-do. New rocks, new scape, new coralz......

It won't be long as I've almost got it where I want it.

New thread soon?
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived