Pod Your Reef

WTB: Yellow Fiji Leather frag

jamescstein

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cash or possibly trade for a green finger leather or neon toadstool frag.

I found a store a couple months ago with a rock that had one 3-4" piece and another 2" piece...I walked up to the counter to tell them I wanted it and the SOB said it was sold. Haven't seen one since.

looking to avoid liveaquaria? they have some in stock right now

Live Aquaria is fine, the problem is I've seen everything from sand yellow to bright yellow fiji's and the one in their picture is sort of plain. I'm hoping to get a bright yellow one and don't feel like playing roulette.

jedimasterben

Live Aquaria is fine, the problem is I've seen everything from sand yellow to bright yellow fiji's and the one in their picture is sort of plain. I'm hoping to get a bright yellow one and don't feel like playing roulette.

+1

I've seen pieces that came from LA (not DD) that were just a slightly yellow tinted brown and never turned into anything more. I'm the same way, looking for one that I know is yellow as all hell to start with :)

I've never kept one, but I've read where they will lose their yellow color if not kept in high light. Maybe those sand colored ones can gain the yellow back?

jedimasterben

I've never kept one, but I've read where they will lose their yellow color if not kept in high light. Maybe those sand colored ones can gain the yellow back?

If they are legit yellow, then yes - but if they aren't, then just an expensive brown leather :lol:

wow.such.chris

I have one that's kinda splitting now. I'll try and encourage it to split with fishing line but I'd rather not just straight up cut it. I've heard bad things about these guys after fragging. Also, I've never shipped before but am willing to try it. If you guys can offer any words of wisdom I'll start on it tonight.

wow.such.chris

Here's the best shot I have, I kinda showed where it's splitting but it's a bad angle. It came attached to 2 rocks and its splitting right where the rocks meet, I figure its splitting just from being moved around and bending at that point. I just don't wanna kill this guy. I had one in the past that came in with a keyhole limpet that ate a bunch of it and ended up dying. Took me forever to find another, so let's do this right. SAM_0034_zpsrx4ozzy9.jpg

jedimasterben

Well, for one, I'd get that puppy off the sandbed and up onto the highest rock you have (slowly moving it up, of course, to avoid shocking it with the big change). As for splitting, I'd probably let it do its own thing. They know best :)

+1

I've seen pieces that came from LA (not DD) that were just a slightly yellow tinted brown and never turned into anything more. I'm the same way, looking for one that I know is yellow as all hell to start with :)

This the one you are looking for? I've been keeping it fairly low in the tank on advice from LFS. If it gets more lite will it yellow even more?

2015-10-13%2011.34.54_zpsthcd9qbg.jpg

wow.such.chris

Well, for one, I'd get that puppy off the sandbed and up onto the highest rock you have (slowly moving it up, of course, to avoid shocking it with the big change). As for splitting, I'd probably let it do its own thing. They know best :)

Workin on it. I need some more rock, got no space for it higher up. Traded some stuff in and couldn't pass it up so I just plopped it down there for the time being. Surprisingly, it hasn't been doing bad that low. Yet...

jedimasterben

This the one you are looking for? I've been keeping it fairly low in the tank on advice from LFS. If it gets more lite will it yellow even more?

want

They love light - several hundred PAR seems to be their 'minimum acceptable' for decent coloration, with 400+ being preferred.

Workin on it. I need some more rock, got no space for it higher up. Traded some stuff in and couldn't pass it up so I just plopped it down there for the time being. Surprisingly, it hasn't been doing bad that low. Yet...

They won't do 'badly' with less light - they simply won't look as great as their potential :D

want

They love light - several hundred PAR seems to be their 'minimum acceptable' for decent coloration, with 400+ being preferred.

They won't do 'badly' with less light - they simply won't look as great as their potential :D

Hmm. Sounds like another reason you should send me that light fixture with the power of the sun....

jedimasterben

Hmm. Sounds like another reason you should send me that light fixture with the power of the sun....

Sure, just send me some money and I'll send it right over :D

You selling this because I'd buy it.

You selling this because I'd buy it.

Not yet. If it splits I will sell pieces. Or if I can successfully frag it. So far the frags have not done well for some reason.

Sooch from what I've read about these, I don't think I'd try cutting it.

I'm really looking for something like what basser1 posted but I'd jump all over yours too slowtwitch, I like the red hue in the polyps.

jedimasterben, on 23 Oct 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:jedimasterben, on 23 Oct 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

No such thing.

Believe it or not, I've found a source that is working on them. He claims they are brighter yellow than the Fiji.

BTW, I also acquired a frag of a dwarf japanese green toadstool from the same person. The cap is solid green as well as the polyps, this is not my pic. I'll need to take a photo of it because it's close.

japanese_green_leather.jpg

Archived