ReefCleaners.org

stocking a 13 gallon

Chellekins

So... I've jumped back into the hobby. It's been about 10 years. A few weeks back, I picked up a 13.3 gallon bow front tank. Put it all together, and everything is super happy. A few corals (kenya trees, GSP, a small monti, SPS, a few mushrooms, and a few zoas. I recently added a clarkie clown and a peppermint shrimp, as well as the standard clean up crew. Filtration is an Eheim canister. No sump, no skimmer. What and how many fish would be recommended for a tank this size? The local store tells me I could put quite a few in there, (due to good filtration), but I am leery of that. Misc info, power head, IO reef salt, lighting is SkyeLight Dual Dimmer.

Knock on wood, everything is VERY happy, if behavior is any judge, 10% water changes weekly, top off daily, temp 82.4.

I thought I'd post here and ask.

Gratis tibi ago!

post-89378-0-31505300-1445227884_thumb.jpg

Welcome...10 years is a while, but not all that much has changed (mostly lighting).

The Clarkii can reach 6" so eventually it'll be quite cramped when it grows up and it would produce quite a bit of waste. As far as adding more fish...not such a good idea if you keep the Clarkii (space and potential aggression/territorial issues).

I have a pair of adult Ocellaris (3-1/2" and 2-1/2") in a 12g cube and it's the smallest tank size I'd ever consider for a pair of these. Together, they likely produce less than half the waste of an adult Clarkii. If you are set on clownfish, then captive bred Ocellaris or Percula clowns would be a better choice for such a small aquarium, IMO.

I've used canister filters, but always without filtration media inside as it's a pain to constantly clean/service them. For that reason, HOBs (Hang on the Back) filters are much more popular if the tank isn't an AIO.

Happy Reefing in the 'Land of the Midnight Sun' :)

Thanks NS!

I wanted an ocellaris but they only had pairs, and budget-wise, I wasn't ready for a pair, though I may do an exchange somewhere down the line in the future. He told me the clarkii would grow, and they will take back fish, so I guess for the moment I'll enjoy him. That's what I get for an impulse buy! I was going to go HOB, but he talked me out of it, and after it being 10 years, I was willing to listen to his experience. I foresee taking the media out at some point and just staying with the water changes. Thank you for the well wishes in the land of the midnight sun! It's been gray and dreary for the last few weeks, no snow yet, and so the tank is a sweet ray of sunshine as the nights get longer!

I have yet to introduce my fiancé to the LFS, but he's in for a treat. It's a pretty nice store, and friendly folks. He's really starting to enjoy it, and likes watching the tank antics with me. Best of all, not a word about what I've spent on it! LOL. As long as it makes me happy, he's happy! But it's nice to see the interest too.

:D

Best!

'Chelle

• 3 weeks later...

Archived