Cultivated Reef

Daves Nano Box Drop Off Lagoon : New Start

DaveFason

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave, tank looks awesome! Looking forward to the new build thread. Could you tell me what material was used for the stand? Could you screw something in it? Thx.

Hi Dave, tank looks awesome! Looking forward to the new build thread. Could you tell me what material was used for the stand? Could you screw something in it? Thx.

It is a plastic of some sort. Easy to drill.

Have to ask...what are your Duo settings on THIS tank? Your Lagoon seemed more blue than this tank. I love how you have the rocks cascading down. What a lovely piece of art this is!

Have to ask...what are your Duo settings on THIS tank? Your Lagoon seemed more blue than this tank. I love how you have the rocks cascading down. What a lovely piece of art this is!

Same settings. This was just just a little more white with the day setting and white balance.

I dont know how you got such a good video of your tank Dave. Whenever i get close to mine my clam "clams up" and hides. Then takes him forever to come back out. Hes very skittish. Same thing happens if a fish swims over him or i put my hand over the light. Anything irritates him

Thanks! Also great to see you on here. It has been a while!

very good!

Do it! They are a ton of fun. I really like the height on the one side. Gives the tank a dimension that I missed.

Love this! I have really been tempted to get one of these tanks!

Thanks! Yes it is. I cook a TON. That book is amazing for knowledge of tacos.

Tank looks great, those new tanks are awesome.

Lol is that a book about tacos in your shelf there? :lol:

I used my Sony on this one. As well when you block light the clam can suck in. In this video I did not block anything :)

I dont know how you got such a good video of your tank Dave. Whenever i get close to mine my clam "clams up" and hides. Then takes him forever to come back out. Hes very skittish. Same thing happens if a fish swims over him or i put my hand over the light. Anything irritates him

Duh. I mean who wouldn't!

Doesn't everyone have a tacopedia? :D

Pretty sweet tank there... Like the drop off tanks a lot - they're just unique ya know? I've seen some FW setups using them that blow me away.

I will not be at MACNA. Thanks for the compliments!

OMG...awesome! Are you going to have one of these on display at Macna?

They really are. A few other ideas I think would be amazing for the drop off tanks...

• Filling the deep side with all sand. Creating a true jawfish biotope or even a single garden eel
  • Doing a gnarly NPS tank with a small ledge and mounting sun corals, dendros and other under neath.
  • FW - All driftwood and leaves on bottom with only plants growing on top.

Pretty sweet tank there... Like the drop off tanks a lot - they're just unique ya know? I've seen some FW setups using them that blow me away.

I will not be at MACNA. Thanks for the compliments!

Bummer :(. I saw nanobox on the list of exhibitors and thought it was you.

Can you tell me the length of the top part of the drop off? Where your clam sits? I know the whole thing is 20" across.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a crazy few weeks. I was in Vermont with the glass blower who did the Statue of Liberty flame design and numerous other projects. We are designing some really wild aquarium "things". I also took some R&R and went to Mexico with my wife. We were in Cozumel and I spent 80% of my days in the water.

VERMONT :

Hiking in Vermont :

29302917386_36c3163a90.jpgUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Finding wild mushrooms to cook :

29048930020_9529bb22c3.jpgUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Robert blowing glass for the tank idea :

29302912436_fb606fa2b1.jpgUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Crazy glass work we are trying out:

29048930980_64f209751a.jpgUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr

I also helped on his farm :

29336400745_617c5df3bc.jpgUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Mexico :

Wife and I on the deep sea fishing/snorkeling boat.

29486600716_f278b40c76.jpgdavidjamiemex by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Bait and hooks : We caught Bonita, Tuna and a few barracudas.

29486601696_c0ee2c6050.jpgfisherbait by Dave Fason, on Flickr

29520985765_4958927e70.jpgbait by Dave Fason, on Flickr

How insanely clear was the water...

29502993702_c88f83aca2.jpgjamiehooray by Dave Fason, on Flickr

29322958920_1fa12a4bbd.jpgdavidstare by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Sea Grass : We found tons of starfish, rays and jawfish. Along with a ton of other babies and wrasse

29502992202_b3354824eb.jpgjamiestar by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Reef Snorkleing : I feel good going ~ 20-30' before my ears really hurt. We saw turtles, nurse sharks, lion fish, wrasses, amazing angle fish, rays, barracuda and so much more!

29322959660_17a506db4c.jpgdaviddivedown by Dave Fason, on Flickr

29532515321_f025b79d55.jpgturtleclose by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Hazy Sunset :

29486602976_8bfda3eaa0.jpgsunset by Dave Fason, on Flickr

We also went full tourist and did the 45 minute dolphin thing, fed manatee's and I was kissed my a sea lion! It was unreal and really enjoyed the experience.

29522455542_b86c69746a.jpgIMG_1173 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

29552277331_d467729f18.jpgIMG_1099 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

29522453902_72d9d1edb2.jpgIMG_1179 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Drop Off Tank : I will be ordering a port hole and trying a few new things out for photos.

29601253756_d20784f01a.jpgclamclose by Dave Fason, on Flickr

29345634120_b2bf846b35.jpggroupshotdropoff by Dave Fason, on Flickr

29601254236_5e0e488f8d.jpgacanmicrodropoff by Dave Fason, on Flickr

I will be figuring a trip to LA, SF and Chicago here soon as well!

Enjoy!

Bummer :(. I saw nanobox on the list of exhibitors and thought it was you.

Can you tell me the length of the top part of the drop off? Where your clam sits? I know the whole thing is 20" across.

~8"

Archived