Cultivated Reef

Andrew's ADA 60P reef

Andreww

Hi guys, I'm new here. Switched back to saltwater from a hi tec co2 injected planted tank.

I've kept a reef tank before but not for long since we had to move and sold the tank.

Anyway, here I am again and I started with this:

ADA 60P tank - ~17.5G

Kessil A360WE Tuna Sun( I had it over my planted tank)it's only going up to 9000K which is not really good for a reef right?...thinking to get a Tuna Blue and selling this one.

Vortech MP-10

Fluval digital heater

Eheim 350 surface skimmer

All this is left over equipment from my freshwater setup.

I understood I don't need a skimmer with a nano if I keep up with the water changes.

Currently cycling with about 30 pounds of live rock, and 20 pounds of live sand .

I'll take the time to properly cycle it, and read as much as possible in the meantime...

The plan is to keep a few corals, and a pair of perc or occ. clowns.

Will update this post whenever something is added to the tank.

Thanks for looking.

image_zps9q2haynz.jpg

Thanks, this tank is gonna be hammer coral dominated (whatever colors I can find) ...might change my mind down the road.

Other option was a RBTA and a few other corals but not sure how doable that is in a tank this size.

Yes I'm thinking to clean up the display going with a sump...I wanna install a Tunze ATO as well ...I know I can get away with no sump and WC only but that much equipment in a tank this small looks bad.

I have no design in mind, but I don't have time to DIY so I'll just have to buy one ready to go. Any opinions on what would work best? I'm gonna be stuck with this tank for awhile so might as well do it well from the beginning.

Thanks

Looking good so far and I love the scape. I also am a fan of hammer corals or anything euphillia, (although I can't have them with seahorses). I will just have to live vicariously through yours.

Clean uncluttered tanks are great when that can be achieved.

This tank looks extremely clean. I love it. I did high-tech planted tanks too before, it was always trimming, trimming and more trimming. I enjoyed it though, but I've slowly been getting lazy due to the amount of programming I'd be doing for classes. :(

Andreww and SmokedEel, there are a lot of cool saltwater macro algaes that are beautiful and not terribly invasive and labor intensive. I keep them in my seahorse tank in order to take up nutrients plus they add a splash of color.

I know what a surface skimmer does lol.

Spencer, sorry but i wasn't trying to explain to you what a surface skimmer does, most people know that. I was just keeping the conversation going...;)

On another note, I noticed green coraline and some purple spots growing on the rock. Some diatoms on the sand..looks like it's doing its thing.

Yes I'm thinking to clean up the display going with a sump...I wanna install a Tunze ATO as well ...I know I can get away with no sump and WC only but that much equipment in a tank this small looks bad.

I have no design in mind, but I don't have time to DIY so I'll just have to buy one ready to go. Any opinions on what would work best? I'm gonna be stuck with this tank for awhile so might as well do it well from the beginning.

Thanks

id look into this one if i were you

I definitely recommend that sump. No real complaints from me. Only thing I would do is remove the big filter pad between the fuge and skimmer areas. Collected too much gunk and slowed down flow even when it's totally detritus free.

I'm reading up on coralline and it seems like it can grow like that too...kinda weird.

Anyway, I thought the highest rock was positioned kinda weird and broke it apart in 2 smaller pieces and left more open space up top . Not a big change but I like it better like this.

What do you guys think?

Here is a FTS .

image_zpsbpxisrdc.jpg

I'm reading up on coralline and it seems like it can grow like that too...kinda weird.

Anyway, I thought the highest rock was positioned kinda weird and broke it apart in 2 smaller pieces and left more open space up top . Not a big change but I like it better like this.

What do you guys think?

Here is a FTS .image_zpsbpxisrdc.jpg

Tank looks great! Even with just the slight change, the new scape flows together much better

Archived