Cultivated Reef

New to reefing. My new setup.

Nixperience

News flash! Just spied on the tank with a flashlight and the clowns have been hosted! They were snuggling inside and rubbing all over it. Wish I could post a video.

post-89427-0-61602900-1446087156_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sad news. My anemone was doing great and the clowns hosted it, but it died last night. I came home and found the shell of my peppermint shrimp that had been pestering it and the anemone in my Powerhead and milky water. Looks like the anemone ate the shrimp and moved onto the Powerhead to commit suicide. I did a 60% water change, put all new filter media, added some prime and stability, and rescaped the rocks. All the other inhabitants are fine and happy. I will post a pic of the new rockscape later when the water settles.

I will wait for the bigger tank in a few months to get an anemone again and will be putting a nylon on the Powerhead when that happens.

Nick

So sad news. My anemone was doing great and the clowns hosted it, but it died last night. I came home and found the shell of my peppermint shrimp that had been pestering it and the anemone in my Powerhead and milky water. Looks like the anemone ate the shrimp and moved onto the Powerhead to commit suicide. I did a 60% water change, put all new filter media, added some prime and stability, and rescaped the rocks. All the other inhabitants are fine and happy. I will post a pic of the new rockscape later when the water settles.

I will wait for the bigger tank in a few months to get an anemone again and will be putting a nylon on the Powerhead when that happens.

Nick

Sorry for your loss, the same thing happened with my first anemone.

Keep some extra water on hand in case another change is necessary.

Sorry for your loss, the same thing happened with my first anemone.

Keep some extra water on hand in case another change is necessary.

Thanks. I got home last night at 2am so it sucked. I did a 10% right then and changed the floss. This morning I did the 60% and changed all media. I have about 2 gallons of nutri sea on hand. I'll check the levels tomorrow, but they were .2 ammonia and 20 nitrates last night before I started the clean up. I think I caught it in time before things got bad.

Lol. It was happy for a little while, but that shrimp kept pissing it off. I think it was too big of a meal for it and he had to move to work it off lol.

Update. Day 2 after the anemone peppermint murder/suicide. PH 8, salinity 1.026, ammonia .1, nitrites 0, nitrates 10. Everything seems good and less stressed than yesterday.

0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 15 nitrates. Looks like a good rebound. Think I'm going to pick up a toadstool and ricordea later this week.

Nitrates down to 7. Getting little spiral white specks on the back wall and a few pink specks of coralline on the glass here and there. I added a green toadstool yesterday, but it's pretty pissed at me and hasn't opened up yet. It was starting to, but I knocked it over cleaning the glass. Toadstool is on the right.

post-89427-0-28292200-1446753495_thumb.jpg

So looks like my clowns most likely have Velvet :( The female is covered in a matter of a few days and the smaller one is showing a little bit. I talked to my LFS and he said to bring them in and he will put them into his treatment tank until they are better (hopefully), and until my tank is clear. I hope they survive the night. This progressed really fast. Most likely caused from the anemone melt down.

So the female died this morning. The LFS is holding the male in a qt for a month for me until my system is worked out. It was Velvet :(

Sorry for your loss :-(

Thanks. I think I was doing all the right things, just didn't know what I was dealing with until it was too late. 8 days from contracting it and she was dead. The other is still alive at the LFS so far.

Lol me too. I just picked up a nice blue ricordea and a hammer frag today. I'll post pics after they're settled in. The other fish didn't make it. There was too much gill damage :/. Since I'm setting up a new tank at Christmas, I'm just going to go fishless until then and hopefully rid the tank of any ich/velvet.

Archived