SaltCritters.com

New to reefing. My new setup.

Nixperience

Hi guys, I posted in the aqueon evolve master thread, but I think that thread is fairly inactive.

I just started an 8 gallon reef. I'm using an aqueon evolve 8 as my tank with a Hydor theo 50w heater and a Koralia nano 240 power head. I set the tank up 3 days ago with 8 lbs of live rock and 8 pounds of live sand.

I ended up with some interesting hitchikers in my liverock once I set it up. I have a mini maxi carpet anemone that came out of a hole in the rock and a Pom Pom crab which is really awesome. Also, the rock is loaded with little feather dusters and I have copepods all over. The tank is just starting to cycle and I really hope my hitchikers survive. Especially the crab. He's really cool.

Updated FTS 12/1/15

post-89427-0-51291800-1448991706_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
righttirefire

Those are awesome hitchhikers. If it's truly "cured" liverock and live sand you might have an a most undetectable cycle... don't let this encourage you to add more livestock.

Establish good husbandry, research you current inhabitants and there potential COMPATIBLE mates.

Enjoy watching your crab and 'Nem. I have 0 experience with either of these creatures. So can't help.

But looks like a promising start.

Thanks! I added some pellet and flake food to try and initiate a cycle. I'll keep monitoring it and hopefully it cycles fast. I'd like to work on a clean-up crew as soon as it's safe. I'm already trying to figure out how I can upgrade to 15 gallons without the wife divorcing me.

righttirefire

Lol. I started at a 20 tall. And "upgraded" to a 20 long with the 20 tall as my sump. She didn't notice right away... but my 40 upgrade she's squashed... for the tone being... show your wife 40s are on sale at petco $1/gallon for the next 3 weeks. Than settle at a 20 long. L

Lol. I was thinking the cadlights zen series. Maybe after the new year. I need some time to show her how awesome it is and how much our 2 year old loves it haha. Maybe ill scrub the tank and scuff it all up and have to get a new one lol.

righttirefire

Lol... I don't have personal experience with cad... but I'd warn you to check their reviews and customer srevive record... reefing is awesome. I've almost got my old lady onboard... she's getting more interested. I get text questions and pictures at work from her. But she's a "dry hands" reef keeper. She feeds them and observes them. Which is an amazing help... small steps

Well if she feeds them and observes them, that's good support. She clearly enjoys them, which is where I hope my wife is at once I get fish in there.

I'm not an advocate for chemicals, but I added .5 ml of prime to neutralize any toxicity because I want my freebies to survive.

righttirefire

I understand the logic, but the cycle does need to happen... you need the ammonia... id assume the rock has some kind of colonized bacteria if the hitchhikers are still alive. Have you been testing your ammonia nitrites and nitrates?

I understand the logic, but the cycle does need to happen... you need the ammonia... id assume the rock has some kind of colonized bacteria if the hitchhikers are still alive. Have you been testing your ammonia nitrites and nitrates?

FYI Prime supposedly binds ammonia in a harmless state but still allows it to be useable by bacteria. How/whether that is true, idk.

FYI Prime supposedly binds ammonia in a harmless state but still allows it to be useable by bacteria. How/whether that is true, idk.

Thats why I used it. The ammonia was at .2 yesterday and .5 today so I decided to use prime before anything died. I heard it didn't eliminate any ammonia, but rather detoxifies it so bacteria can still feed on it.

post-89427-0-91655600-1445201645_thumb.jpg

righttirefire

See! The importance of research. Lol. Thank you for educating me. I've never looked into its function I just made an assumption

I modded my filter chamber to have a separater with flow only at the bottom and replaced the stock filter pad with a sack of chemi-pure elite at the bottom topped with filter floss. I think things should stay very clean and clear for a long time.

If you bought cured or uncured rock and want to keep Hh and all the live stuff alive, you want a soft cycle. This is achieved by doing water changes so that ammonia does not go out of control. Keep your skimmer on too.

Prime is a good addition to De toxic ammonia but water changes still need to be done.

I've used some prime, just did a 20% water change yesterday, and decided to add Stability every day for the next week. Everything seems like it's still alive and well. I noticed all the feather dusters disappeared yesterday and after the water change they are coming back. They seem to be a good reference for water quality I think.

Forgot to add that the live rock was cured and covered with purple except for the 2 small pieces I added the second day, but they are starting to get some pink spots all over.

So cycle finished and ammonia levels went to 0 as well as everything else. I added 2 clowns and they are fantastic. I love these fish so much that I decided once I get rid of the little bit of algae that developed in the cycle, I am going to put a BTA in there for them and not do corals. This is now going to be an anemone only tank due to the size they can get, but I love the symbiosis between the clown and anemone and I want to promote this.

I should also mention, immediately after Christmas, I am upgrading to an 11 gal Cad Lights rimless and an aquaclear 70 modded as fuge so they should be happy in that space. I'm also upgrading the light at that time to a Current Usa. I'll make a new post when that happens, but ill keep posting the progress on this one so far.

post-89427-0-77894900-1445818310_thumb.jpg

So I stopped by one of the lfs today to pick up another astrea to tackle some brown algae after my water change today and I noticed a tiny 1 inch frag of green star polyp. He said $10 so I figured why not. It opened up a few hours after I put it in my tank so I think that's a good sign.

post-89427-0-00730900-1445903139_thumb.jpg

Simulated Fish

So I stopped by one of the lfs today to pick up another astrea to tackle some brown algae after my water change today and I noticed a tiny 1 inch frag of green star polyp. He said $10 so I figured why not. It opened up a few hours after I put it in my tank so I think that's a good sign.

Great choice on a first coral! I love my gsp, but beware it grows like a weed. if you don't frag it out or leave it on its own small rock it will cover any surface. Personally I love my growing carpet of gsp since this tank is just a starter tell I go big in a year or two.

Great choice on a first coral! I love my gsp, but beware it grows like a weed. if you don't frag it out or leave it on its own small rock it will cover any surface. Personally I love my growing carpet of gsp since this tank is just a starter tell I go big in a year or two.

Thanks! I was afraid of the growth rate, but I plan on an anemone over growing everything and there probably won't be much room for corals. I'd like something easy to maintain that can go up high, the gsp will be down low and I figure the anemone will have all the middle.

I know I'm moving fast, but I'm determined and monitoring this tank every day. All the lfs around only had RBTAs, but I really wanted a green one. I finally came across a beauty and it was only $30. I had to move forward with it. Nothing else is being added to the tank.

I also posted a close up of the anemone once it settled in a nook.

post-89427-0-83889600-1445977715_thumb.jpg

post-89427-0-51623800-1445988032_thumb.jpg

has the anemone hosted the clowns yet? my BTA has been in the tank for 1 month, the wait continues for me :(

Not yet, but it is beautiful. It's only a matter of time I think because it is a small space. He's right where they usually bed down at night so maybe it will happen soon.

Also, forgot to mention that the anemone moved and I coralled it to a nice spot with my power head and it looks like the clowns are courting it and getting closer. My damn peppermint shrimp just started attacking the anemone today, so I think I'm going to have to return it for a cleaner.

post-89427-0-66177100-1446080170_thumb.jpg

Archived