Coral Vue Hydros

Kimber's tank is getting swapped!

kimberbee

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear it is working out. In the end it will be much nicer than a pre built stand.

We did go out to look at a pre-built, and while I'm sure it would hold a tank just fine, it didn't use 2x4's as supports. Also, it was $200. My cost so far is about $25.

how the #### do you break one drill bit, much less six??? :lol:

Whoops, not drill bits, the screw bits. And they broke cause they came from Harbor Freight. Their stuff is so cheap. :closedeyes:

Whoops, not drill bits, the screw bits. And they broke cause they came from Harbor Freight. Their stuff is so cheap. :closedeyes:

I use 2 and a half inch star bits from home depot. Come with a new bit per box and used for decking, they also drill their own mini pilot hole so you don't need to use a pilot just put the screw in.

I find that I strip phillips heads too easialy like you showed in one of your pics, the screw was stripped.

Thanks for all the help erry'body. We double checked the pilot hole drill and put a new battery in both drills, which helped. But it also turns out I'm weak and have short arms. It turned into a two person job with my boyfriend drilling and screwing, while I used my body weight to hold everything, flat, level, and in place. Dude needs a few more quality tools in his garage.

I still can't believe we broke 6 drill bits...

21853674603_bf7ab8876e_z.jpg

22485854711_bc2359cb4f_z.jpg

It sounds like an ordeal getting to this point but it looks like the final process is a sturdy well built frame for your cabinet. That seems to be reason to rejoice...hoorah!
jedimasterben

I use 2 and a half inch star bits from home depot. Come with a new bit per box and used for decking, they also drill their own mini pilot hole so you don't need to use a pilot just put the screw in.

I find that I strip phillips heads too easialy like you showed in one of your pics, the screw was stripped.

Yeah, Philips heads seem like they really weren't meant to be used with power tools, much less the impacts that people use nowadays for most stuff, just tears shit up.

Yeah, Philips heads seem like they really weren't meant to be used with power tools, much less the impacts that people use nowadays for most stuff, just tears shit up.

That's why in shop we only use star bits not phillips.

The electrical plan has been made...

Back left corner: 4-way outlet box thing-y

Back middle: 6 outlet power strip with individual switches (return pump, rw-4, ATO, Skimmer)

Right side: 2x 6 outlet power strips, always on (1 - nanobox light, nanobox fan, bluefish, tablet, heater/fan... 2 - cabinet lights and fans)

22658210301_0243c965e5_z.jpg

This will give me a total of 18 surge protected outlets, plus one extra outlet on the 4-way box which will plug directly into the wall.

Outside left will have a drop-leaf shelf and possibly a side mounted ATO container.

Front will have a 24 inch towel bar.

Right will be the access door.

Bam.

• 2 weeks later...

People, we have an outlet!!

22890556082_6772fe4df1_z.jpg

While I was out all weekend at Aquatic Experience, my BF put my outlet together for me. :wub:

I'm wondering if I should spray paint it though? BF says galvanized steel shouldn't rust at all, but It might look nice to spray paint it all black.

Galvanized could eventually rust, but is a pretty negligible concern from humidity. Unless you're constantly dripping/leaking saltwater on it, in which case you have much bigger (think electrical) problems, it will probably last far longer than you need. Painting would have been easier before assembly, so I'd vote it's not worth it since it will be concealed out of view.

Galvanized could eventually rust, but is a pretty negligible concern from humidity. Unless you're constantly dripping/leaking saltwater on it, in which case you have much bigger (think electrical) problems, it will probably last far longer than you need. Painting would have been easier before assembly, so I'd vote it's not worth it since it will be concealed out of view.

True, there should be no moisture in the stand at all anyway.

Next I gotta mount two of the power strips. The third (the one with switches) is in use and will have to be added last. Unless I can find a spare power strip somewhere to swap out. Which I should do to make sure everything fits nice.

I'm thinking of a different way to mount the two power strips rather than on the inside of the frame. It might actually be a little difficult to plug in things at that angle (outlets facing into the stand). I'm thinking about mounting a 2x4 across the middle and mounting the power strips so they are facing out. Also need to consider where extra cables will go.

righttirefire

Hmmm.... I didn't realize the tank is almost 45 gallons with water weight alone pushing 375#... carry on, don't mind me over here stalking this thread

The electrical plan has been made...

Back left corner: 4-way outlet box thing-y

Back middle: 6 outlet power strip with individual switches (return pump, rw-4, ATO, Skimmer)

Right side: 2x 6 outlet power strips, always on (1 - nanobox light, nanobox fan, bluefish, tablet, heater/fan... 2 - cabinet lights and fans)

22658210301_0243c965e5_z.jpg

This will give me a total of 18 surge protected outlets, plus one extra outlet on the 4-way box which will plug directly into the wall.

Outside left will have a drop-leaf shelf and possibly a side mounted ATO container.

Front will have a 24 inch towel bar.

Right will be the access door.

Bam.

Industrial velcro is AWESOME for power strips. Super strong, but lets you remove them to change stuff. I have my temperature controller and power strip mounted with that.

Industrial velcro is AWESOME for power strips. Super strong, but lets you remove them to change stuff. I have my temperature controller and power strip mounted with that.

Smart. I think I'll do this instead of drilling/screwing. Where might one get such industrial velcro?

Smart. I think I'll do this instead of drilling/screwing. Where might one get such industrial velcro?

I got mine at Ace Hardware. Its just "Heavy Duty Velcro". Probably have it on amazon and home depot as well.

I got mine at Ace Hardware. Its just "Heavy Duty Velcro". Probably have it on amazon and home depot as well.

I venture out to Menards at least once a weekend. I'll look there. ?

jedimasterben

Galvanized steel will absolutely rust being near saltwater. Get as much of your electronics and such out of the stand as you possibly can. Saltwater is just so corrosive, it will eventually get to everything. Blech.

Get some more 2x 4's. You need to put at least 1 in each corner between your upper and lower frames.

I've got extras. I'll add some this weekend as well as placing my power strips and deciding on where to put the shelf/divider.

Galvanized steel will absolutely rust being near saltwater. Get as much of your electronics and such out of the stand as you possibly can. Saltwater is just so corrosive, it will eventually get to everything. Blech.

But... but... don't most people put all their electronics in the stand? I hope there will be no moisture inside the stand. Drip loops and most cords will be wound up outside and behind the stand. Only plugs and as little cables as possible will be in the actual stand.

Maybe consider one of those plastic outdoor outlet boxes with a lid to cover the electrical. like this type, but you'd have to find a 4 plug version. Will there be a shelf below the electrical and above the sump?

Archived