Cultivated Reef

Red Spot Glass Cardinals

Drew Shark

Hello all, this is my first post. I have been reading Nano-Reef for years, and I just never got around to creating an account. I have been keeping saltwater for about six years now, so I have a bit of experience.

On to my question: I am currently setting up a 40B peninsula mixed reef. There is no water in it yet. I would like to keep a school of these cardinals in the tank. I have a few questions about them:

1. I like to quarantine all new fish. What has been your experience with them in quarantine? Should I risk it and skip quarantine as they seem to be very sensitive?

2. I plan to get them from Divers Den. Has anybody ordered Red Spot Glass cardinals from DD? What was your experience?

3. What was the first food you had them eating? What is the biggest and smallest thing you have seen them consume?

Thanks in advance.

I thought about it but the reading I found led me to believe they have a very low survival rate. I passed.

That's what I was reading too. Then I saw a thread on RC where people were having very high success rates with the Live Aquaria specimens. LA was saying it had to do with transport. I have not seen any posts from people that bought them from Divers Den or LA so I wanted to see if anybody had some. They seem to sell very fast on DD, they are usually sold within the day they are listed.

Ive had them in the past and they are not susceptible to many diseases but they tend to perish because their lack of food intake. Most people never get them to eat and slowly starve. Using prawn/shrimp eggs seem to be one of the very best ways to get them eating right away. They seem to have a very fast metabolism as they tend to lose weight very fast. Once you get them to eat, you just tripled your survival rate. Fish received from DD normally are already feeding regularly. So that would be your best source for a high survival rate. Especially if it's your first time with them and unsure about getting to eat right away. I've haven't purchased them from DD but a LFS with fairly good success.

neuwave - Thanks for your advice. I do not expect the tank to be ready for the first fish for about a month, so I will work on tracking down shrimp or prawn eggs. Do you have a brand that you liked/used? I am going to see if I can find anybody with NutraMar Ova, as that is what the mandarin people like.

Hello all, this is my first post. I have been reading Nano-Reef for years, and I just never got around to creating an account. I have been keeping saltwater for about six years now, so I have a bit of experience.

On to my question: I am currently setting up a 40B peninsula mixed reef. There is no water in it yet. I would like to keep a school of these cardinals in the tank. I have a few questions about them:

1. I like to quarantine all new fish. What has been your experience with them in quarantine? Should I risk it and skip quarantine as they seem to be very sensitive?

2. I plan to get them from Divers Den. Has anybody ordered Red Spot Glass cardinals from DD? What was your experience?

3. What was the first food you had them eating? What is the biggest and smallest thing you have seen them consume?

Thanks in advance.

1.Quarantine all new fish...all the time

2.Ive ordered them in the past and generally they were in great health. However you may get one that arrives DOA

3.Mine loved to eat mysis from day one. I also fed them brine shrimp as well as plankton. They also went after rotifers and cyclops

FYI Please make sure you have a lid these guys are jumpers

1.Quarantine all new fish...all the time

2.Ive ordered them in the past and generally they were in great health. However you may get one that arrives DOA

3.Mine loved to eat mysis from day one. I also fed them brine shrimp as well as plankton. They also went after rotifers and cyclops

FYI Please make sure you have a lid these guys are jumpers

Not arguing here Rehype, just asking for my own knowledge, but if these are the first fish in a new set up what is the benefit of quarantine?

Not arguing here Rehype, just asking for my own knowledge, but if these are the first fish in a new set up what is the benefit of quarantine?

Quarantine enables some medications/treatments that cannot be conducted in a reef. Getting them to feed will be easier as they are in a smaller tank.

Quarantine enables some medications/treatments that cannot be conducted in a reef. Getting them to feed will be easier as they are in a smaller tank.

I would understand the medication argument if there were other fish already in the tank to be concerned about. I'm not a big fan of prophylaxis as a medication strategy personally, but that is a personal thing.

The feeding argument makes sense though. Smaller tank, it's more in their face and easier for them to get too.

You also want to qt in case they are carrying a disease or parasite. Once it's in the dt it'll be hard to get rid of it unless you get all the fish out (at least with ich)

You also want to qt in case they are carrying a disease or parasite. Once it's in the dt it'll be hard to get rid of it unless you get all the fish out (at least with ich)

Right, I guess I was assuming they would be the only fish in the DT for a reasonable quarantine period.

Thanks Rehype, you cleared up a lot of concern for me. Yes, I will have a mesh lid. Do I need 1/8" mesh or is 1/4" fine?

No worries. 1/4 is fine

Primarily to observe, medicate/treat livestock before they are added to your display. Its incredibly difficult to treat a fish for parasites or an infection once they are established in your display. Most medications cant be added directly to display tanks as they will negatively affect coral or invertebrates. As a result the animal will need to be caught, then removed from the display and placed in quarantine. This process is usually very difficult and places undue stress on an animal with an already compromised immune system.

Archived