ReefCleaners.org

RBTA Adjusting to new tank and new light?

davy jones

Hey guys, i have a beautiful RBTA thats been with me for about 6 months. It was in a Red sea max 130 with the powercompact bulbs over it and it looked awesome, fully bubbled throughout the day, always extended bright coloration

This is what she looked like 95% of the time in the RSM

2015-07-15%2020.32.10_zpsa3zgxrq7.jpg

Looked pretty good in the new tank for about a week and a half or so (pretty sure it was about that long.)

20150928_185042_zpsb2ybinm7.jpg

I did a waterchange about a week and a half to 2 weeks after moving everything to the new tank (not counting the one i did that same day) and since then the nem hasnt been the same, its color has changed to more of a rainbow color (guessing due to the led's) but the main issue is she never fully inflates anymore.. shes always smaller, the tentacles dont bubble up the same, she just seems.. depressed? Ive done water tests and ammonia is 0, ph is 8.2, salinity is 1.025 via refractometor, nitrite and nitrate are both 0.

here is a pic of what she looks like now. Granted i added rock and rescaped one day ago when i took this, but generally her base is like this with shorter barely bubbled tentacles..20151012_191741_zpsl4npzvka.jpg

Suggestions? Too much light maybe? im running the LED's at blue 50% and white 30% during the morning, which ramps to blues at 60% and whites at 30% then in the evening its blue at 50% and whites at 25%. I Just got the t5 bulbs in 2 days ago and they run for 4 hours.

Really, its probably the most important thing in my tank, my favorite critter in there. anything i can do?

Think your LEDs are wound up to high. What LEDs are you using? Back them off to 25-30% max output at peak and then over a few weeks slowly start ramping them up.

6 NanoBox Reef pucks, this is a retro from dave. I backed everything down and ill see what happens in the next couple of days. Hope it helps! Anything else i can try? spot feeding maybe? increased water changes? Some sort of media? Thanks!

From my experience, my BTA doesn't bubble up under LED's, never seen one in person that has. Only see them bubble up on MH and T5's.

I would just let it acclimate to the new lighting, and keep any eye on its color. I bleached mine originally with the razor nano before I switched to the nanobox tide. Now all it's color has come back, and it now fully opens up every day happy as can be, just doesn't bubble up. Have had it for 18 months in a 5 gallon Spec V.

From my experience, my BTA doesn't bubble up under LED's, never seen one in person that has. Only see them bubble up on MH and T5's.

I would just let it acclimate to the new lighting, and keep any eye on its color. I bleached mine originally with the razor nano before I switched to the nanobox tide. Now all it's color has come back, and it now fully opens up every day happy as can be, just doesn't bubble up. Have had it for 18 months in a 5 gallon Spec V.

My BTA has become huge, colorful, and has giant pronounced bubbles under LEDs :)

914DEFAC-13D1-45C5-9BC6-CDC78B704AD8_zps

My BTA has become huge, colorful, and has giant pronounced bubbles under LEDs :)

914DEFAC-13D1-45C5-9BC6-CDC78B704AD8_zps

I've seen yours :lol: That is why I said in person ;) Mine only gets small bubbles on occasions.

Soooo the anemone split last night. I came home to it and it's other half on tbe bottom side of the rock it was on. Is this good or bad?

Well now you have two anemones. So if you wanted two thats great. But if you wanted one thats bad>

Probably split due to the stress of too much light; its a survival mechanism. With the light lowered they should start inflating and bubbling again :)

I'm all for 2 anemones lol so long as they both live! Really upset that I stressed it out that much though, I've never had an issue keeping nems through out my span of 4 tanks.

So it looks like it is now splitting into a 3rd piece... the rest of the stuff in the tank have never looked better, and the tank is cleaner than the last one ever was so maybe it's that? And the light? Yay for more nems but not if it's stress induced.. :(

It will recover without to much issue. Congrats on getting 2 more! And if they are truly unhappy, they will move to another part I would assume. Get pictures for us!

The lights are out and they're in an unphotographical location lol but I'll try to take some tomorrow if the move any. Hope all goes well, she was/is my favorite thing in the tank

Archived