SaltCritters.com

Dropped's Desktop Nano - Closed down

dropped

You might know in NZ we have issues with mangroves, they grow to fast and need to be controlled. So i just went down to the water side where i know mangroves grow an got the smallest plants.

The things to the right are the seeds of mangroves.

are you in Auckland?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, every time I see this thread I my heart jumps to my throat. Then I remember which thread this is. I keep seeing it thinking someone dropped their tank and smashed it on the floor. Ha!

Glad to see this is coming along nicely. I hope the mangroves work out well for you.

You might know in NZ we have issues with mangroves, they grow to fast and need to be controlled. So i just went down to the water side where i know mangroves grow an got the smallest plants.

The things to the right are the seeds of mangroves.

are you in Auckland?

No im in Wellington, we dont quite have the same costal estuary area like Auckland does. all good though im not sure its something i want in my tank.

Nice light, you will be happy with it for sure! Did you buy it from Dustin?

Yip sure did, have it running at 70% currently, which my gorgonia doesnt seem to like at all... might have to turn it down.

Man, every time I see this thread I my heart jumps to my throat. Then I remember which thread this is. I keep seeing it thinking someone dropped their tank and smashed it on the floor. Ha!

Glad to see this is coming along nicely. I hope the mangroves work out well for you.

Haha sorry to do that to ya mate. Mangroves are growing so that is a good start. Ive read a few things to say these mangroves really only live 6 months in this situation im not sure why. I am also giving them a spray with RO water every day as they are under pretty strong lights.

Are you supplementing red or at least a plant light for the foliage?

I'm pretty well versed in planted freshwater aquariums. I'm no expert by any means, but I've got a pretty good handle on it; at least what it takes to grow healthy plants.

I'm wondering if you could get an offshoot of the roots for each mangrove to grow into a separate container behind the tank, or grow these in a separate container where they are now and have some of the roots hang over into your system. Feed the second container well with a fertilizer mixture that is deficient (not completely lacking, but close) on what you are trying to have the mangroves pull from your tank. This way they are getting the proper balance of nutrients to grow properly. This would also assist in faster growth to actually pull nutrients from the aquarium at a rate significant enough to make a noticeable difference (in theory). Supplemental lighting with a plant bulb would help tremendously I'm sure. I'd use something to block light in the grow container to help minimize/prevent algae growth. And consider shading the AIO section from the plant bulb to prevent algae growth, although that may prove to be beneficial as well.

At the very least, periodically switching the mangroves out (once a week) for a day or two and placing it in a container with balanced nutrients under a strong plant light (or full sun if you have a warm spot to do that) could make a difference. If the plants aren't making it more than 3-6 months, there is something they aren't getting that they need. They are getting a decent amount of most of what they need, but something is slowly being starved out. Macro nutrients are pretty lacking and limiting growth for sure in a reef aquarium (even a high nutrient NPS system is fairly low for plants) and I have no idea what they are taking up for micro nutrients or at what rates. It is possible that they are slowly depleting something faster than water changes can replenish, but you'd have to see what they look like as they perish to determine what the deficiency is and see if there is an effect on the corals as well.

Just some random thoughts.

No reason for posting this.

1AF03789-586F-4AB8-AC86-2F7278BCBD83.jpg

It looks great and the new light looks really good! Great job on the AIO insert, too. How are the little media filter shelves working out in the first compartment?

Are you supplementing red or at least a plant light for the foliage?

I'm pretty well versed in planted freshwater aquariums. I'm no expert by any means, but I've got a pretty good handle on it; at least what it takes to grow healthy plants.

I'm wondering if you could get an offshoot of the roots for each mangrove to grow into a separate container behind the tank, or grow these in a separate container where they are now and have some of the roots hang over into your system. Feed the second container well with a fertilizer mixture that is deficient (not completely lacking, but close) on what you are trying to have the mangroves pull from your tank. This way they are getting the proper balance of nutrients to grow properly. This would also assist in faster growth to actually pull nutrients from the aquarium at a rate significant enough to make a noticeable difference (in theory). Supplemental lighting with a plant bulb would help tremendously I'm sure. I'd use something to block light in the grow container to help minimize/prevent algae growth. And consider shading the AIO section from the plant bulb to prevent algae growth, although that may prove to be beneficial as well.

At the very least, periodically switching the mangroves out (once a week) for a day or two and placing it in a container with balanced nutrients under a strong plant light (or full sun if you have a warm spot to do that) could make a difference. If the plants aren't making it more than 3-6 months, there is something they aren't getting that they need. They are getting a decent amount of most of what they need, but something is slowly being starved out. Macro nutrients are pretty lacking and limiting growth for sure in a reef aquarium (even a high nutrient NPS system is fairly low for plants) and I have no idea what they are taking up for micro nutrients or at what rates. It is possible that they are slowly depleting something faster than water changes can replenish, but you'd have to see what they look like as they perish to determine what the deficiency is and see if there is an effect on the corals as well.

Just some random thoughts.

Haha just some random thoughts... I'm well versed in the planted tanks and getting them to grow well. actually a carbon source would help the mangroves grow faster a bit like dosing excel or pumping c02 into a planted tank.

Great idea on having the mangrove roots go over into another tank which can be dosed with nutrients i dont think the mangroves mind having roots exposed to air either so that could really work. Unfortunately this is my desktop tank and space in my office is limited. Might have to try and swap them out every week or so ( every few days is to much for me).

My comment on the mangroves not lasting very long was purely from what i have read, i dont see why they wont continue to grow but i guess only time will tell. So far new leaves are opening up and the seed pods i picked up are sprouting so thats a good sign.

A few of my planted tanks below.

59c1ceac3f1f23a61a97ea32115c3194.jpg

e5990345957a903c94911d93a3618de1.jpg

6bb289386c38f40d46e6819fd7c8b02d.jpg

It looks great and the new light looks really good! Great job on the AIO insert, too. How are the little media filter shelves working out in the first compartment?

Yea im really happy with the new light, the colours it puts out are great!.

The media baskets are doing well, and help out alot. My only issue so far is my zoas are not opening like they were in the past, not sure whats going on. I might look at getting some marine pure to put in the back. Did you have the same issue with zoas?

Yea im really happy with the new light, the colours it puts out are great!.

The media baskets are doing well, and help out alot. My only issue so far is my zoas are not opening like they were in the past, not sure whats going on. I might look at getting some marine pure to put in the back. Did you have the same issue with zoas?

I have problems with zoas closing up for no reason all the time in my 4g tank, but they are mostly fine in the 10g tank. And I can grow them like crazy in my frag tank, where acros go to die :D

I suspect some kind of pest, although heavy target feeding seems to help.

Generally, zoas do better in a "dirty" tank, so it's possible that with the new filtration you are getting things cleaner than they like. But I wish I knew for sure so I could fix my own zoas!

I have problems with zoas closing up for no reason all the time in my 4g tank, but they are mostly fine in the 10g tank. And I can grow them like crazy in my frag tank, where acros go to die :D

Generally, zoas do better in a "dirty" tank, so it's possible that with the new filtration you are getting things cleaner than they like. But I wish I knew for sure so I could fix my own zoas!

Its funny because they had been doing well until i put a fish in the tank, which i have since taken out. ill be honest, i have not really tested the tank for much apart from akl, i shall test everything tonight. I have been target feeding my acans, and if there is some left over ill spray the zoas but have not been very regular in the feedings, maybe once a week. Will test everything tonight and if its all OK ill go heavier in the feedings.

Just noticed both of your tanks have Apex controllers! very jealous! I think i would be slaughtered if i bought another one for the pico! but i want too! maybe i can hook one up to two tanks.....

I really like what you did with the driftwood in the second tank. The mostly buried one with the Anubis looks really nice.

I'm in the process of getting my planted tank up and running again. hopefully I can salvage everything that has been in buckets for a couple of months. I'd rather not have to get all new plants and deal with the snail issues again. I did really well for a long time, but I missed a couple of egg sacks and had a huge infestation. At least the auctions are coming up soon and I've got a friend that is moving, so I should be able to get a bunch of really cool stuff super cheap.

I've never been able to do consistently well with zoas. I don't have fish though, so not much waste in the water column, and I could never get them to feed consistently, not visibly anyway. At one point I was doing really well with some decently difficult SPS (I'd have to look up the names) while the zoas were either declining or seeing no growth. For now I'm sticking with Acans, Ricordia, duncans, and hopefully some Tubastraea and Dendrophillia if I can find some healthy ones. I like feeding the coral and getting a response. Much more enjoyable than dropping some food in and walking away.

Beautiful tanks dropped. I am sorry that I never 'dropped' by sooner to check out your thread but I am glad I did now. I have never kept a planted FW tank but I have thought about it. I have a spare 30g XH that I could use for a planted angel fish tank. Someday maybe....

You can make them as complex or as simple as you like. Anything from a sand capped dirt substrat and occasional micronutrient dosing to fully automated timers for dosing and CO2 injection. It all comes down to how much growth and maintenance you are willing to do. As well as how much money. It's not too far off from reeding really, just slightly different equipment.

You can make them as complex or as simple as you like. Anything from a sand capped dirt substrat and occasional micronutrient dosing to fully automated timers for dosing and CO2 injection. It all comes down to how much growth and maintenance you are willing to do. As well as how much money. It's not too far off from reeding really, just slightly different equipment.

You sure can, all my planted tanks have been dirted. However the fresh water planted tanks were not technical enough for me haha. My brain required more and marine surely has that.

92da9944398bd39bc59c2a970ba845ca.jpg

I usually do dirt as well, but after the headaches with my ex's tank, going with some faster growing plants, and trying to maintain more of an aquas aped look, dirt is too much of a pain. It works great if you run low light, only dose micronutrients, and just let the plants do their thing and only trim the tops when they get too tall. But anything else and the tank turns into a mess.

I'm restarting my 8" DeepBlue cube. I got some Aquasoil and may run my paint ball cylinders on it instead of my normal yeast reactors.

Last couple tank I ran Black Diamond blasting media, but it trapped so much of the shrimp waste and led to nutrient imbalances and I had nothing but algae issues after several months.

If you want a little more technical, check out Tom Barr's site.

Yea ive been dosing aquaworld aminos every second day for the last week. And have started feeding coral frenzy every 3 or 4 days.

Have you checked Magnesium levels?

Are large amphipods pestering them or nibbling on them at night?

Those are two things I've found in the past can cause problems with Zoas, and they're things that not everyone thinks to check.

Archived