SaltCritters.com

Dropped's Desktop Nano - Closed down

dropped

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the tank is nearly 5 months old.

Finally have started to see some chemical warfare between a few corals. Have had to move out my larger frogspawn as it has been throwing out super long hammers and attacking everything it can reach, no major damage though. The other war going on was with my kenya tree and the green candy cane, not sure who was winning but i moved the candy cane to the left hand side of the tank. May ditch the kenya all together, all though i like how it fills the gap, maybe a trim will help. I can see the next war coming between one of my acans and the kenya so will be keeping an eye on that.

Otherwise all my zoa are open and growing and the acans are popping out a few new heads too . GSP and some macro is running rampant in the tank, not sure what i'm going to do with those... might have to pull the big rock out during the next water change and pick off the macro. Anyone have any tips on controlling GSP?

Not sure if it was through being lazy or not but skipped a water change last week with resulted in my dkh dropping to 5, weekly 7L water changes normally keep everything in check at around 7.7 dkh and i have not had to dose anything yet. So back to weekly water changes.

Its been pretty darn hot here in New Zealand recently. Temp controller has been working well apart from yesterday where i left the curtains in my office open which normally blocks out a fair bit of heat, this caused the tank to see 29c (84.2F).

Been toying with the idea of an upgrade to this.

Its an Aquaone 40 all in one, 51L - 13.5 gallons. Wont be a pico anymore though...

AquaNano40_000.jpg

The gravel vac skimmer worked well. I don't run it anymore as I've gone bare bottom now. It's super easy to suck the waste and extra food out when I do my water change every week.

The tank is actually running better with out it.

Did some tests on the Pico last night

aquarium9120.png

Nitrate is now detectable, what is a safe level?

Ive been feeding the acans everyday as they love it, i guess this is causing it.

Did some tests on the Pico last night

aquarium9120.png

Nitrate is now detectable, what is a safe level?

Ive been feeding the acans everyday as they love it, i guess this is causing it.

You want nitrates at or below 5, ideally somewhere around 3-5. It's a good sign that you've got detectable levels now.

You want nitrates at or below 5, ideally somewhere around 3-5. It's a good sign that you've got detectable levels now.

well thats good! i started thinking about putting a skimmer back in.

well thats good! i started thinking about putting a skimmer back in.

You'll probably need it in the future because with heavy feeding your nitrates may continue to rise. But let you corals tell you what they like best, as many corals do well with even higher nitrates.

You'll probably need it in the future because with heavy feeding your nitrates may continue to rise. But let you corals tell you what they like best, as many corals do well with even higher nitrates.

i only tested the water as my zoas were closing up a bit.

what skimmer are you using?

Ahh PicO SkiM 2.0 Micro Skimmer, how do you find it?

i only tested the water as my zoas were closing up a bit.

what skimmer are you using?

Ahh PicO SkiM 2.0 Micro Skimmer, how do you find it?

I won it in a contest here on N-R!

Unfortunately, I've heard that they've closed up shop. I don't know if it's temporary or permanent.

Another good option is the Mame skimmer. A bit pricey but everyone who has had one seems to really like it.

Congratulations! Everything looks fluffy and happy! And fluffy. Did I say fluffy? :)

haha thank you! they were super happy the other day and double the normal size for some reason, i should have taken a pic.

I'm starting to have impure thoughts about putting sand back in...

Was time to get OCD with the wiring this weekend, also installed the Tunze osmolator which i stole from my 120L :) the Apex now controls the ATO on the 120L.

B38BEAAB-83AE-42C3-8451-90749865B213.jpg

The mangoves have been growing well. Ive been trying to keep the mangrove height down by cutting the tops off to promote lower growth, this seems to be working well. I guess ill see how it is in a few months.

D0C99917-D3E1-4EAC-A576-C4F94ECF6B09_1.j

56B05385-A1D0-4837-9EEB-4FE8B40C0BE3.jpg

DCFE86E4-E0B7-4303-86E2-0D0837C42720_1.j

Archived