SaltCritters.com

Finally took the plunge

uwharrie

I only added snails. I read an article here on nano-reef that snails works better and hermits attack them.

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/_/livestock/clean-up-crews-r16

Oh I forgot to mention, do a big water change before you add any living things. At the end of my cycle my nitrate was through the roof. I was lazy so I just added a hang on back fuge with some chaeto and my nitrates went from like 180 to 0 in a couple of days.

Did you add snails and hermits or just snails?

Did you add snails and hermits or just snails?

I added both snails and hermit crabs, but the snails did a way more effective job at cleaning the algae. The crabs were cute though :)

Another question. My system came with an intank fuge ( need to add a light) and a hydor skimmer. Should I run both? I have read that you don't really need both but since I already have them? Tank came with skimmer in chamber 1, intank media rack followed by fuge in chamber 2. Figured I would put heater in chamber 3

I run both on my 29G. My hang on back fuge doesn't have very much flow (less than 50gph) but it soaked up nitrates like a sponge. From what I know skimmer pulls out organics (polypeptides... etc) before they get a chance to break down into small molecules like ammonia or nitrate, which a fuge will readily soak up. Running both should have you all taken care off.

And worst case scenario, your chaeto dies and gets pulled out by the skimmer.

Are you running any chemical filtration?

Another question. My system came with an intank fuge ( need to add a light) and a hydor skimmer. Should I run both? I have read that you don't really need both but since I already have them? Tank came with skimmer in chamber 1, intank media rack followed by fuge in chamber 2. Figured I would put heater in chamber 3

Yes I also have the Intank filter set up with floss, chemipure and puregen

I run both on my 29G. My hang on back fuge doesn't have very much flow (less than 50gph) but it soaked up nitrates like a sponge. From what I know skimmer pulls out organics (polypeptides... etc) before they get a chance to break down into small molecules like ammonia or nitrate, which a fuge will readily soak up. Running both should have you all taken care off.

And worst case scenario, your chaeto dies and gets pulled out by the skimmer.

Are you running any chemical filtration?

Tank is now two weeks old

Water Chemistry as follows

Spg- 1.014

pH- 8.0

Ammonia- 0

No2-0

No3- 5.0

Cal-220ppm

phosphate- 0- 0.05

Kh- 179ppm

I know I need to get my salinity up a tad and my Calcium up as well (not sure just how much)

Did you ask about color changing led? I found an interesting YouTube video:

About the xenia either it will grow like crazy or die. I had it do both in different tanks. People have had to actually break down tanks because of things like xenia, gsp, encrusting gorgonian, blue cloves and probably a few others I can't recall. You can have a tank full of something you liked but didn't realize how it spread. I took a rock for a friend that had mushrooms on it so until we went to the lfs. Now I have mushrooms in a tank that I wasn't wanting them in and they spread fast. One must have gotten lose before I got the rock to the store.

Found another nice LFS this one in Greensboro. Triad Reef Critters. ( I live in the middle of nowhere but also in the middle of everywhere) Nothing close but seems I have a couple of really nice stores within an hour to hour and half.

Picked up my Cleaning crew, a few snails and hermits. Nice store and very knowledgeable staff

What are those red stuff? And oh if you see an astrea snail on its side give it a hand and put them right side up. They can never right themselves and will die if left like that.

I'm thinking by the time you put more salt in your calcium may be at the right range. Don't jus trump it in though. I would probably mix up some new saltwater with extra salt and do a water change. Put the "extra salty" water in slowly and avoid dumping it directly onto your inverts.

A red algae, I think they called it "Dragon's Breath" or maybe Fire

thanks for the tip on the snails. will flip them, none so far are coming out also two of the hermits ( Left- Handed) may has not survived the transition. out of the five, two are powering around, one is MIA and the other two have not budged.

What are those red stuff? And oh if you see an astrea snail on its side give it a hand and put them right side up. They can never right themselves and will die if left like that.

I'm thinking by the time you put more salt in your calcium may be at the right range. Don't jus trump it in though. I would probably mix up some new saltwater with extra salt and do a water change. Put the "extra salty" water in slowly and avoid dumping it directly onto your inverts.

Update. Did my first water change and now having issues with low salinity. Not sure how that happened since I what I put in was 1.020 and my change was 1.020 now it is 1.014. I purchased some hermits and snails on Saturday and drip acclimated. Two hermits were doing great till yesterday and now they are MIA. Snails have not budged. Since most hermits and snails are tidal I assumed ( wrongly I am guessing) that salinity shifts would not affect them that much. Now to raise the salinity I assume slow additions of hypersalinity solution. Edited to note found one crab plying king of the rock and two snails are now moving

Thanks! I don't mind spending a little more on quality equipment. My LFS carries a couple of brand but I did not pay any attention to price.

they all seem to be the same refractometer in the cheaper section ~30, but if spending a bit more, the ^^^ Milwaukee gets great reviews

Update, Three of the five hermits ( Left handed) are alive and well. The two I lost pretty much kicked the bucket shortly after going in the tank so I guess they just did not handle the stress if transport/transfer. My snails ( Pink Margarita and some sort of Turban) seem to now be moving about.

I did read somewhere here on the list that Margarita are not good for reef tanks due to being temperate.

Any recommendation for additional snails and hermits?

He said one of the issues is shooting thru the acrylic. Glass would get a better results. The Hermits are hard as they are tiny ( very tiny) and move a lot. Its his new challenge and once we get fish and corals the fun will really start.

good shots. I need some decent camera equipment...

I STILL cannot get the salinity up! It seems to be stuck at 1.016 ( readings not the hydrometer)

think I have managed to kill all my snails and assume it is due to the low salinity?

I just keep adding a hyper salinity mixture gradually as I don't want to kill my hermits.

Archived