Innovative Marine Aquariums

Finally took the plunge

uwharrie

After over 25 yrs of wanting one I finally have a reef tank. Thanks to a friend who upgraded to a much bigger set up

Biocube 29 with mods

Intank media basket

Intank fuge ( still not sure how to set that up)

Hydor skimmer ( ditto on the set up)

Steve's LED retrofit w/ moon lighting added

Just set up with 20lbs live sand and 26 lbs live rock

5C386F39-67A2-45E7-AFA8-EB0A7F8C39A2.jpg

Looking good man! Check out the below link for a pic, description and short video on your inTank Fuge and how to use it and then below that I added a youtube setup video for a Hydor skimmer, might not be the exact one you have but hopefully similar enough to use, good luck! :)

http://www.shop.mediabaskets.com/Biocube-29-Fuge-Basket-BC29FG.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwpyVltm-Aw

One question on lighting. The builder ( not who I got it from) also added an led strip that can change to a huge variety of colors ( I am pretty sure it's like what folks add to cars for lighting effects) what would be the purpose for all the colors? Is there a useful purpose? Other tan making the livestock think they are in a disco? ( the lights will actually cycle through all the colors)

Well, on the good led strips for aquariums you want an assortment of lights to cover the growth spectrum for corals. Like whites, blues, reds, greens etc. I don't think the disco effect is going to work though? Or can you turn them all on at once and not cycle through them all?

Could not get all colors at same time ( this is a flexible strip light ) not sure what the original builder was trying to accomplish

The Tank cycling wait is HARD!! But no I will not rush it. Levels today ammonia 1 nitratites 1. on day 3

should I seed it with a little raw shrimp? ( I did add the packet that came with the live rock but not sure if that stuff really does anything)

I do plan on picking up about 15 more lbs of live rock this weekend

I assume I should have the Media basket stocked and running per InTanks instructions?

For cycling just some floss is enough. Maybe when it gets going you can run some carbon

seems right! ive always been impatient as well, so i use seachem stability. its advertised as a bacterial additive to quicken a cycle and works great. as for the light strip, as long as there are other, brighter lights as well, the strip was probably there to alter the color effects like the high stuff does, to your person preference

I am starting to see a greenish/ brownish/ tan ( moss green perhaps) growth on my live rock along with the red coralline. Is this normal? or is it Brown algae?

Went to Aquatica today and picked up more rock. This hitchhiker came along. I think it may be a juvenile stone crab? My guess is bad for a tank

IMG_2243.jpg

I am starting to see a greenish/ brownish/ tan ( moss green perhaps) growth on my live rock along with the red coralline. Is this normal? or is it Brown algae?

Normal for sure on a cycling tank, you'll get all sorts of odd algaes to begin with :)

The little crab passed to that great reef in the sky. ( had planned on putting him in a tiny tank) was able to get a closer look. It was. Juvy stone crab. For sure not reef safe!

I think my tank has completed its first cycle Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate- 5.0 pH- 8

It has been running a little over 2 weeks.

So is it safe to add a cleaning crew? Or at least snails?

starting to get diatoms and a green/brown algae ( that produces bubbles)

When I started my tank I dosed ammonia to 3ppm and within 24 hours it would all convert to NO2 and another 24 hours all NO3. That's when I added my CUC.

Diatoms are completely normal and it's telling you you're on the right track. They almost all disappeared overnight after I added my snails. I know they're unsightly but just hang on for a little longer?

Did you add snails and hermits or just snails?

When I started my tank I dosed ammonia to 3ppm and within 24 hours it would all convert to NO2 and another 24 hours all NO3. That's when I added my CUC.

Diatoms are completely normal and it's telling you you're on the right track. They almost all disappeared overnight after I added my snails. I know they're unsightly but just hang on for a little longer?

Archived