ReefCleaners.org

Clownfish Hosting and Goby Question....

Dreichler

First question is, will my mandarin goby eat frozen brine/mysis? And my other question is, which clownfish will host to my red bubble tip anemone, i understand they might not, but which has the most success and close guarantee... I have a JBJ 45 with an AI Prime, and full of nice collector corals...

post-88706-0-30347200-1444504109_thumb.jpg

righttirefire

Wild caught? Non osc and per, they arent naturally hosted by btas. There is a load of good information out there about hosting clowns and improving your chances. You just have to look.

However

20150815_124716_zps4wxzbsih.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First question is, will my mandarin goby eat frozen brine/mysis? And my other question is, which clownfish will host to my red bubble tip anemone, i understand they might not, but which has the most success and close guarantee... I have a JBJ 45 with an AI Prime, and full of nice collector corals...

FWIW, mandarins are not gobies. Common misconception. They are dragonettes. Yes they will eat frozen IF they have been trained to do so. From what I understand it can be a tedious process. Lot's of threads out there on how to, here on these and other boards.

If you are looking for an answer on anemone hosting clowns that is as slam dunk as your question, you are in for disappointment. It isn't a given with any clowns, but as stated above wild caught fish are usually more eager to take up residence. A little google searching will find you lists of which species of 'nem host which species of anemonefish in the wild. But that really doesn't mean much for home aquaria.

Give it time with the clown, for all you know he will host with your GSP like mine did. I had 2 before the female went psycho and killed everything so she had to go. But the male was the one who hosted and she was in a separate tank for over a year and never hosted until I put her in with the male. The male on the other hand hosted within 5 min of being in the tank. They are odd fish.

A lot of those ways they suggest on the internet for clowns to host winds up forcing them and causing un-needed stress on them, best to just let them be.

Archived