Top Shelf Aquatics

Even i have got a Nano..

zaitmi

Nano Reef Tank.

Long Glass with black background (vinyl sticker)

Live Rocks

Live Sand

18x10x10

1 Phead

1 Hangon Remora Skimmer with (5" DIY pre filter box attached yesterday).

(Air Stone provided for more foam in skimmer and low ph.

Hangon Sanrise Reef Light Dimmable. 3 color options.

Wooden Stand

Live Stock :

1 clownfish

1 purple goby

1 skunk clown

1 red shrimp

3 zoas

1 hammer coral

2 turbo snails

Which aquascape is looking better i mean the top one or the down one?

post-69488-0-89989600-1444397631_thumb.jpg

post-69488-0-16922300-1444397653_thumb.jpg

post-69488-0-19658600-1444399202_thumb.jpg

Which aquascape is looking better i mean the top one or the down one?

I like the bottom one myself, but it's more about what you like.

Pretty sweet tank - is it a 10g?

So Im not sure if its the camera or what but that rock in the middle really throws me off... Why does it look so --- blue?

Anyways, I also like the bottom. You've got some pretty large corals in there! Either you spent a fortune or got a massive hook up!

I would probably remove the top rock on the right though - to me it just seems kinda "stacked" for lack of a better term. With such large coral colonies I would possibly move the zoas on to the rocks all of them and make plenty of room for the torch. Speaking of which the torch looks a little light and puffy... Might need more light.

Good luck!

Thanxxxx guys for replies. ok so according to your suggestions i will go with the lower aquascape.

The pictures dont do justice at all here after uploading within 1mb. It looks much better in my iPhone 5 (HDR Pic) with the actual size.

ajmckay, your eyes are really sharp, you are right as that rock is a fake purple rock i used for reef tank.

no, they are indians price is like $10 for zoas $22 for hammer coral.

ok i will take the hammer up where the green zoas is lying but there is too much flow...let see.. i wil try to fix it out..

How to upload high resolutions pics here?

Flickr, Photobucket, and other such image hosting sites can help with allowing you to post higher quality images. Some are free and/or ad supported on their site, while others cost money and can provide larger image hosting with better management.. :)

Ok thanxx i will try flickr..

Now i want to know about " DIY"2 part dosing by Randy Farley Homes.

calcium is 350 ppm

alkalinity is 7

Magnesium : no kit.

As i have small tank can i just pass by replacing water weekly.

As they say weekly water changes replishes everything required for the tank.

Suggestions appreciated..

Also how much you guys keep salinity......

like i keep 1.020 measured by hydrometer.

1.025 or 1.026 is what most people keep it at with corals. Its all about stability. Test your freshly mixed salt water. Then every couple days treat your water to see what your corals consume.

Now i want to know about " DIY"2 part dosing by Randy Farley Homes.

Here you go: An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System

Here is a good video for dosing two part solution:

As i have small tank can i just pass by replacing water weekly. As they say weekly water changes replishes everything required for the tank.

Weekly water changes are sufficient for a tank with soft coral. However, the more stony coral and/or coralline algae you have, the more likely you will have to dose calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium to replace the consumed elements. Dosing replaces these consumed elements; and in my opinion, it's not to elevate levels higher (if you are unhappy with the levels of your salt mix, you should switch brands).

Note: You shouldn't have to test magnesium until you start dosing calcium and alkalinity. Also, dosing is not a replacement for water changes.

Also how much you guys keep salinity...... like i keep 1.020 measured by hydrometer.

I keep mine at 1.025. You should check your hydrometer with a calibrated refractometer (or have someone else confirm your tank water's specific gravity). Inverts are more sensitive to lower specific gravity. Also, all levels will be diluted (low) if you keep your specific gravity lower than natural seawater levels.

Ok thanks for info...as i have soft corals i think i can continue just by replacing water and will increase salinity slowly by doing top up with readymade saltwater.

• 3 weeks later...

... I didn't think that pop eye would kill a fish?

popeye.jpg

I think you're right. He certainly "could" kill a fish, but probably wouldn't. I believe that he prefers vegetables (spinach) to seafood.

The disease isn't usually fatal. However, if left untreated, it could result in blindness. Anyways, sorry you lost your fish.

I personally wouldn't add a flame angle to a tank that small. They like a lot of swimming space since they are busy fish. Im trying to think of some red fish for a small tank but the ones I am thinking of are either cold water or not completely/bright red. Maybe others can.

Your tank is 18x10x10? So it is a bit smaller than 8gallons?

I think live aquaria recommends 70 gallons. Also they can nip at corals. I had one in my 30, they are beauties. We got a new powerhead and it died the next day. Sad. Good luck on your search!!

I just looked at your livestock, is it correct that you have an 8 gallon? If so I think your kind of way maxed out. No Ill will or disrespect or meanness. Just what I saw.

Yeah, like Hammertime, I wouldn't add another fish either. However, if you really want a red fish, you might consider a Pygmy Wrasse.

Archived