Pod Your Reef

My Custom 10 Gallon AIO

theleftcoastguy

theleftcoastguy

Hey, I wanted to share my new tank with everyone. This is an upgrade from a 3 gallon picotope that I had going from fall of last year till the end of this summer when I retired it and transferred what livestock was left in buckets to my new apartment.

IMG_0128_zpslobsejrr.jpg

The tank is a custom all-in-one I made from a standard 10 gallon. I had a piece of 3/16th inch black acrylic cut for the false wall. The overflow's toothless and runs half the length (roughly 9 ¾ of an inch) of the false wall on the left side of the tank, and is high enough such that the water level in the display is always above the tanks black trim. The layout of the filtration is approximately 14 inches on the left side to house the diy skimmer and maybe a small fuge section in the future, then an under-over divider I cut from glass which I have the heater in, and finally a return section that’s about 6 inches wide. Approximate water volumes are 6 gallons in the display and 2 ½ gallons in the rear compartments.

IMG_0142_zpsa8bygfh6.jpg

All of the rock was from my previous tank with the exception of one small piece. I’m aiming for a minimalist scape so that there’s plenty of room for growth and swimming and probably have between 4 and 5 pounds of rock in there. I used all new dry aragonite sand, probably enough for like an inch and a half of depth. The tanks been up and running since mid August and I’ve been slowly trying to stock it since. Anyway, here’s some specs:

Equipment:

Tank: Custom AIO made from standard glass 10 gallon aquarium

Circulation: Hydor Koralia Nano 425

Return Pump: Hydor Pico 70 gph

Protein Skimmer: DIY mesh wheel made from same pump as above plus some recycling

Lighting: DIY LED consisting of 2 Cree XP-G Cool Whites, 2 XP-G Neutral Whites, 2 XP-E Blues, and 8 XT-E Royal Blues all running at 700 ma.

IMG_0158_zpsaqqwcjen.jpg

Livestock:

1 Royal Gramma

1 Ocellaris Clown

2 Astraea Snails

1 Nassarius Snail

2 Hermit Crabs

2 Head frag of Hammer Coral

2 varieties of pink zoanthids

2 polyp frag of ‘pink zipper’ zoanthids

Green Montipora Capricornis

Green Seriatopora Guttatus (I think)

IMG_0215_zpsx6zfvkbk.jpg

IMG_0202_zpsc4rzlxps.jpg

IMG_0161_zpstru2ey5c.jpg

IMG_0156_zpserf2wtii.jpg

IMG_0110_zpsnem4rsz8.jpg

Thanks for reading, I'll try to keep this updated as often as possible, and feedback is always welcome!

theleftcoastguy

Thank you Halo. I didn't take many good pictures when I was siliconing, and I can't get behind the tank really but maybe these will help

cf388e18-04ee-4836-be6b-b8c3584d1503_zps

CAM01317_zpst5goxyjl.jpg

theleftcoastguy

Hi there, just wanted to post up a quick update. I grabbed a frag of radioactive dragon eyes from the lfs today, but they're still closed up, I'll try to get pics tommorow when the lights are on. In the mean time I have these.

IMG_0224_zpsm9mf5w9u.jpg

IMG_0222_zpsogzdk0uw.jpg

That's what my homemade skimmer pulls out of my tank over a few days. Pretty good for an essentially free skimmer. If anyone wants details in case they're considering making a skimmer let me know.

theleftcoastguy

Thank you Rural. No airstone here, it runs off a small pump I modified with a mesh wheel and a bubble plate. Thanks for following!

theleftcoastguy

Here's a pic of the frag I picked up yesterday.

IMG_0226_zpsiu94goxt.jpg

I'm also pretty sure two other zoa frags I have are budding off which would be super cool. I'll post more pics if that's the case.

Archived