Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reseal a 72g BF or upgrade?

RozZy

Hi guys.

I'm a bit torn about what to do with my lovely 72g BF aquarium.

I really like the looks of it and would hate to say good bye to it, but as I've read and heard is that all bow front aquariums have higher risk for leaks.

Now I found a 100 gallon setup for 200 dollars with canopy stand, refugium and all.

I'm a handy guy, I built my own canopy and reinforced the old stand for the 72 gallon. But a leak would devastate me and possibly get me evicted and I'm afraid if i reseal the 72 BF, ill miss something and make the entire thing burst.

What do you guys think?

post-78149-0-46318900-1443993668_thumb.jpg

post-78149-0-37636200-1443993676_thumb.jpg

post-78149-0-78984800-1443993680_thumb.jpg

post-78149-0-13291400-1443993685_thumb.jpg

Is it currently leaking?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it till it is.

Not leaking yet. What if it just break and ruin my apartment with 72g of water? Can that happen ?

What did you end up doing?

I have resealed many aquariums and it is really easy, however the bow front tanks may be a little harder due to the bend. Leaks can really happen in any aquarium new or old. I had brand new tanks burst at the seem after a few weeks of having them running. Unlikely, but it can happen.

If you are really worried about the water damage getting you evicted maybe a smaller tank would be better? I know most people don't like downgrading tank size, but if it will ease your mind maybe a new small tank would be best.

I'm going to replace it for an acrylic tank. At least I know those wont explode on me.

Did research about resealing a bow front, and its very unlikely that you'll be successful with it, so I'm skipping that hassle!

Finding a used acrylic costs 200 bucks on craigslist, sounds like a smarter route to me :D

Any tank can break and flood.

It's an unavoidable risk of this hobby.

See if you can find a company that offers rental insurance that will cover it.

Archived