SaltCritters.com

My humble SPS journey - Shallow 80g

joshky

Stability. At the peak of my dinos I let the tank go more than I care to say, I'm sure we've all been there before, but I was ultimately my worst enemy.

Yeah we've all been there, I started seeing dinos few weeks ago and was like "WTF DID YOU DO!?!?!". Did a total tank clean and massive water change and now getting back to normal. Plus beefed up my CUC. How is your's recovering?

How did the rock from tbs turn out? I'm moving in may and considering just ordering a package from them and setting the tank up with all new rock and sand..

Did you have pests? Did you cure the rock or anything?

Overall I'm happy with it, but I did have two (possibly more) bad crab hitchhikers (Pilumnus sayi) that have done some serious damage; I lost both of my clams to them and who knows what else they would have went after had I not caught them. I highly recommend setting up some crab traps.

Yeah we've all been there, I started seeing dinos few weeks ago and was like "WTF DID YOU DO!?!?!". Did a total tank clean and massive water change and now getting back to normal. Plus beefed up my CUC. How is your's recovering?

So far so good, acros are mostly doing really good and I'm really happy thus far. Just need to keep things steady for a few months and I might have something worth showing off. :P

• Like 1

Overall I'm happy with it, but I did have two (possibly more) bad crab hitchhikers (Pilumnus sayi) that have done some serious damage; I lost both of my clams to them and who knows what else they would have went after had I not caught them. I highly recommend setting up some crab traps.

So far so good, acros are mostly doing really good and I'm really happy thus far. Just need to keep things steady for a few months and I might have something worth showing off. :P

What was your process for the transfer? Did you just take out all the old rock and corals and stuff and move the new rock into the tank? and then put the corals in with the rock right away?

Also what do you mean by a crab trap? Ive never heard of one!

the reason im asking is cause im likely to do the same thing you did. If youd prefer we can continue this conversation in PM

Thanks!

What was your process for the transfer? Did you just take out all the old rock and corals and stuff and move the new rock into the tank? and then put the corals in with the rock right away?

Also what do you mean by a crab trap? Ive never heard of one!

the reason im asking is cause im likely to do the same thing you did. If youd prefer we can continue this conversation in PM

Thanks!

I did the transfer the day of receiving it, removed 100% of the old rock and 75% of the old sand; I put in the new sand and rock and then placed my corals on my frag rack/sand so I could think about placement. I think I did placement the next day, or soon after.

There are multiple ways to setup a crab trap, one many use is simply a glass up against the rock work with a piece of shrimp in the bottom (or anything heavy enough to stay) to attract predators, as long as they can climb in they will eventually and then they won't be able to climb out.

I did the transfer the day of receiving it, removed 100% of the old rock and 75% of the old sand; I put in the new sand and rock and then placed my corals on my frag rack/sand so I could think about placement. I think I did placement the next day, or soon after.

There are multiple ways to setup a crab trap, one many use is simply a glass up against the rock work with a piece of shrimp in the bottom (or anything heavy enough to stay) to attract predators, as long as they can climb in they will eventually and then they won't be able to climb out.

Im not sure thats going to work for me then.. I will be transferring over atleast 2 rocks, possibly more. They have my anemones attached to them and i dont feel comfortable forcebly removing them from the rock. I guess idk if its worth it, if i bring over old rock whats to say that the dinos dont just transfer over with it.

Thanks for the info, i might considering doing something like a half and half order. maybe just for the sponges and life and whatnot that comes with the rock.

Im not sure thats going to work for me then.. I will be transferring over atleast 2 rocks, possibly more. They have my anemones attached to them and i dont feel comfortable forcebly removing them from the rock. I guess idk if its worth it, if i bring over old rock whats to say that the dinos dont just transfer over with it.

Thanks for the info, i might considering doing something like a half and half order. maybe just for the sponges and life and whatnot that comes with the rock.

The idea of introducing live rock like this is not to remove the dinos from the system. I still had dinos on my glass, overflow, and sand which I did not remove. Using live rock to combat dinos is simply to introduce biodiversity, in a system without biodiversity and a low measurable amount of nutrients, dinos can and will thrive if introduced to the system. I removed all of the old rock because I didn't want it to throw off the look of the Walt Smith 2.1 rock, but if I needed to I could have left some of the rock.

For what it's worth anemones are really easy to get off of rocks, put an ice cube in a sandwich baggy and put it on its foot, it'll slowly detach with no harm to the anemone.

The idea of introducing live rock like this is not to remove the dinos from the system. I still had dinos on my glass, overflow, and sand which I did not remove. Using live rock to combat dinos is simply to introduce biodiversity, in a system without biodiversity and a low measurable amount of nutrients, dinos can and will thrive if introduced to the system. I removed all of the old rock because I didn't want it to throw off the look of the Walt Smith 2.1 rock, but if I needed to I could have left some of the rock.

For what it's worth anemones are really easy to get off of rocks, put an ice cube in a sandwich baggy and put it on its foot, it'll slowly detach with no harm to the anemone.

I wonder if the 20 gallon package would be enough.. 40lbs of live rock is quite a bit, plus im keeping some that i have already.. How bad was the shipping price since its not included..?

I wonder if the 20 gallon package would be enough.. 40lbs of live rock is quite a bit, plus im keeping some that i have already.. How bad was the shipping price since its not included..?

I bought the 30g package which ended up being $170 in shipping, I had both shipments sent at the same time. With the package Richard sends two shipments because usually it's people starting up a new system, if you're adding it to an existing system you can have both shipments sent at the same time. This is something you have to request if you want it, or you can split the shipments and spread the shipping cost out a little longer. (but it might end up costing more, I'm not sure)

Thanks for all the info and sharing your experience! I will likely go with one or the other package after i move. Likely it will have to wait until after june now so the move is gonna have to work with the rock i have and we will see what that does for the tank.

New FTS??

Slow and steady, things are picking up now I'm at 50ml daily Alkalinity/Calcium consumption. Color still coming in, but it's improving! Pictures speak for themselves.
Sticks
25978622814_dee79d4687_o.png
25978711774_146f36fabc_o.png
25980713853_cee2904b6e_o.png
25980713573_4348f2cc13_o.png
25980713093_e006d2ae6e_o.png
25980712703_a45a4ee0df_o.png
26557730176_1e9dbc5064_o.png
26310542950_90cc7b107b_o.png
Some LPS flubber things
26310543190_39284ede07_o.png
26491102312_8c2e684824_o.png
Thanks for looking.

Thanks for all the info and sharing your experience! I will likely go with one or the other package after i move. Likely it will have to wait until after june now so the move is gonna have to work with the rock i have and we will see what that does for the tank.

New FTS??

No problem! No FTS this round of photos, maybe next time. :( It's not that impressive anyways, haha.

• Like 4

Slow and steady, things are picking up now I'm at 50ml daily Alkalinity/Calcium consumption. Color still coming in, but it's improving! Pictures speak for themselves.

Sticks

25978622814_dee79d4687_o.png

25978711774_146f36fabc_o.png

25980713853_cee2904b6e_o.png

25980713573_4348f2cc13_o.png

25980713093_e006d2ae6e_o.png

25980712703_a45a4ee0df_o.png

26557730176_1e9dbc5064_o.png

26310542950_90cc7b107b_o.png

Some LPS flubber things

26310543190_39284ede07_o.png

26491102312_8c2e684824_o.png

Thanks for looking.

No problem! No FTS this round of photos, maybe next time. :( It's not that impressive anyways, haha.

Not that impressive?!?! The tank is gorgeous, don't sell yourself short. Give it a couple years and those corals will be huge and the tank looking even more amazing

• Like 1

Not that impressive?!?! The tank is gorgeous, don't sell yourself short. Give it a couple years and those corals will be huge and the tank looking even more amazing

Thanks I appreciate it buddy. As long as I don't mess things up again (knock on wood), I should have some nice mini colonies in a few more months. I'm getting some seriously impressive growth on a few pieces, very happy about that. Still a lot of brown going on but that'll sort itself out in time, seeing improvements everyday.

• Like 1
I haven't really paid attention to this one because it's brown and ugly from the side view, but I was looking at old photographs of it to see growth and all I can say is wow! Top down it's not to shabby looking either! When I saw this I had to take a photo and do a side-by-side comparison to show off.

26553829122_d9d5f89a32_o.png

• Like 3

Nice Josh, that is a crap ton of growth!

amazing growth!

Thanks guys, I'm still amazed I missed the growth on this one. I guess I need to watch my tank more ahah.

Took some quick top downs, wanted to do non-top-down photos but didn't have time to clean the glass and take more pictures.

26737457445_c6a93d877e_o.png

This one is getting the blue on it, I don't know how this piece is going to look but I knew about this blue color it was supposed to get.

26133617553_91c5c5b838_o.png

26133618573_bd6bdf3668_o.png

26133616813_0623d03649_o.png

Oregon Tort is getting lighter, and the polyps are a light blue now as well.

26737456255_91674d5e14_o.png

26133615503_987b6f2527_o.png

Old photo I meant to post last round

26737458105_36509be89b_o.png

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
It's getting harder and harder to take photos of my acros, and depending on their location it really hasn't been possible to get great shots so forgive some of the pic quality I just can't afford a macro lens right now. :D

27477165456_185b1072a8_o.png

27477164886_7fc2c98eb7_o.png

27235115080_63ea54836e_o.png

27235114740_55790e77d4_o.png

27235114460_e614ff05a9_o.png

27235114170_c1f9ee58be_o.png

27235113740_fe805bc2c2_o.png

27235113360_96875e293c_o.png

27235112990_37bbea0307_o.png

• Like 4

:o wow

:wub:

Thanks. :D

Lets see some current FTS of your beauty! And the sump too! I'm a big sump fan

Maybe when I get back from vacation, I was hoping to sell my duncans before taking another FTS but my buyer keep stalling. :unsure:

What are those red acros? Not red planet?

Larger red acro is red planet, the other two are wilds from Adam at BC, both of the mother colonies had a similar coloration to PC Superman.