inTank Media Baskets

cycling dry rock in a rubbermaid

Arizonah13

I have 50lbs of reef cleaners dry rock coming and I'd like to get them soaking/cycling until my 40b is done (building stand, acquiring parts, etc... ) Anyway, can I use one of those regular Rubbermaid storage bins (like what they sell for Christmas decorations and what not)? Or should I get a Brute tub that's actually "food safe"?

Thanks!

People put rocks and corals in rubbermaids all the time; I can't see why it'd be an issue. Many people do it for transport when moving, etc.

The dry rock from reef cleaners is good stuff. I soaked mine in some RO/DI water just to get the dust off of it then put it in my new tank to cycle. No leaching like other dry rock so you should be good to go with no vinegar unless you fell like doing that. You may want to try cycling the rock in the tub just to get things going with either a shrimp or some snake oil like Dr Tims.

You will love the rock it is great stuff!

12_egg_Omelette

Spectra I mentioned for him to clean the tank. Usually these containers new have an oil layer in them that don't respond well with reef tanks.

Also to say something that dr. Tims is snake oil is weird considering that is have legitimate scientific backing behind it.

Archived