Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Recommendations for getting water spots off of glass?

Mr. Clownfish

Mr. Clownfish

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting water spots off of glass? Since it took me a week from the time I drilled and cleaned it out until I was actually able to get the system up and running it seems that I had some area where the water dried up and left water spots. I tried scrubbing at it with a wet wash cloth and it didn't do anything. Anyone have any ideas of want I can use to get the water spots off without harming what going on inside the tank?

charnelhouse

Glass cleaner. Just spray/squirt onto your rag/towel etc. away from the tank so it doesn't aerosolize (sp?) into the water.

I've always used a dry cloth and buffed it. Or, at most a little water dabbed on the salt and then wipe clean. Shouldn't be that hard to wipe off salt residue.

Mr. Clownfish

Ok so I tried Windex into a wash cloth, rubbing it with my finger, dry cloth and its still not coming off. I'm worried that if I use anything else it might put a scratch in the glass.

And its not salt residue. Its hard water stains from when I drilled the tank. I didn't dry it after I drilled it and now its got some water spots that are driving me nuts.

vinegar. Never use glass cleaner.

Ill try this

I use rodi water. If that doesn't work, alcohol or vinegar. If that doesn't work, razor blade. All suggestions up there already.

I use rodi water. If that doesn't work, alcohol or vinegar. If that doesn't work, razor blade. All suggestions up there already.

This.

I soak a paper towel with vinegar and let it sit on the spot for about 5 minutes then scrape it off with a razor. I get hard water stains often from my freshwater tank. I had another tank before that I bought second hand that had really bad stains and wouldn't come off at all, too.

My car gets hard water stains and nothing will ever take it off. We tried the vinegar too. If a razor blade works let me know.

i wouldn't use a razor blade on a clear coat. Lol. I would recommend an afternoon project of compounding followed by a good hand wax.
charnelhouse

vinegar. Never use glass cleaner.

I use glass cleaner on the outside of both my tanks on a regular basis. I don't spray it onto the glass, I spray it on a microfiber cloth far from the tanks. I have zero issue and clean glass.

You get more crap in the tank from room dust settling in your tank then this method.

Am i doing it wrong?

I used to use windex. I switched to the rodi just for the fact of it working just as well and it's already right next to the tank.

charnelhouse

I used to use windex. I switched to the rodi just for the fact of it working just as well and it's already right next to the tank.

I can't get dirty water slimy shmeg off with straight water like I can with glass cleaner.

I can't get dirty water slimy shmeg off with straight water like I can with glass cleaner.

i usually soak the glass with it, wipe up any built up salt, then buff the glass shiny with a dry paper towel or rag. Slimy stuffs belong on the inside of your tank, silly. Not the outside you sloppy bastard.

i wouldn't use a razor blade on a clear coat. Lol. I would recommend an afternoon project of compounding followed by a good hand wax.

? hey if it works Im all over it. I might work myself to death but that's alright. If it scrapes off the tanks let me know as I'm sure with our hard water out here there is bound to be an incident lol. Sorry to the OP, I hope it comes off.
Mr. Clownfish

I went to the store, bought a brand new bottle of vinegar, came home, opened it up, caught one whiff of that smell and said nope. I put the bottle down, walked away and said "I think I can deal with hard water stains."

To many haunting childhood memories with vinegar. I think ill go to plan B with Windex and a razor blade. Ill have time this weekend to just sit down and clean the glass up really good.

usually i can get most water or salt stains off with just RO water and a squeegee. then i buff with a soft automotive towel. all this is after scraping and all over maintenance, but i always end up missing a spot and not seeing it until after i have some nice shiny glass. i would also dilute the vinegar about 50/50 that way the smell isnt bad and clean up with straight RO water after.

Vinegar dries with no smell. Dont be such a baby. Lol you can also try a magic clean mr. Eraser. But vinegar and microfiber cloth should do it.

I use glass cleaner on the outside of both my tanks on a regular basis. I don't spray it onto the glass, I spray it on a microfiber cloth far from the tanks. I have zero issue and clean glass.

You get more crap in the tank from room dust settling in your tank then this method.

Am i doing it wrong?

With all the time and money we put into the livestock in our tanks, why take an unnecessary risk when vinegar will work just as well?

charnelhouse

With all the time and money we put into the livestock in our tanks, why take an unnecessary risk when vinegar will work just as well?

Dunno. Haven't tried vinegar. Maybe I will.

Archived