Pod Your Reef

Setting Up A Booth At Frag Swaps?

Dreichler

So I'm thinking to start selling some of my corals at frag swaps and fragging them. I currently grow everything out in an extremely well maintained JBJ RL-45 with an AI Prime, and cleaned, fed, and maintained daily, weekly water changes, etc. Im thinking about buying an 18"x18" and about 7" deep, putting a small powerhead in, and getting a PAR38 bulb with a gooseneck clamp for lighting... Im questioning where i can get the best PAR38 bulb that can be dimmed, full spectrum is preferred, and any other tips you guys have such as setting it up at the show, cycling the water, keeping the water clear at the show, and making sure it doesn't "cycle" at the show... All tips are helpful.

I ran shows for a few years with a friend and learned ALOT...all the hard way lol.

One thing that was a big game changer was make or buy a rack and container that fit together. We ended up finding a 8 foot long and fairly shallow water tight container. This allowed us to make a 8ft frag rag that would come right out of a normal frag tanks, go into the transport, then fit right in our 8ft frag tank. So with you find a container that can easily fit a 17" frag rack so transport is just pick it up and drop it.

If your traveling long ways you'll want to keep your frags in your system till you are literally driving away. The above method also helps with that. Also youll want to consider having outlets in the car if going long distance. We would sometimes just crank the heat and that was fine.

And my final bit of advice for now is always have extra parts for your setup. We head a seal break in our plumbing and ended up having to make a 45 min emergency run to the nearest hardware store to get a hose.

I ran shows for a few years with a friend and learned ALOT...all the hard way lol.

One thing that was a big game changer was make or buy a rack and container that fit together. We ended up finding a 8 foot long and fairly shallow water tight container. This allowed us to make a 8ft frag rag that would come right out of a normal frag tanks, go into the transport, then fit right in our 8ft frag tank. So with you find a container that can easily fit a 17" frag rack so transport is just pick it up and drop it.

If your traveling long ways you'll want to keep your frags in your system till you are literally driving away. The above method also helps with that. Also youll want to consider having outlets in the car if going long distance. We would sometimes just crank the heat and that was fine.

And my final bit of advice for now is always have extra parts for your setup. We head a seal break in our plumbing and ended up having to make a 45 min emergency run to the nearest hardware store to get a hose.

sounds awesome! but i would get an AIO acrylic show tank... so no need for plumbing or anything.... any PAR38 recommendations? or water recommendations?

Water wise we just used what was in our tank and made enough to fill about double our tank volume. Once you start scooping frags out and filling them with water your tank gets low quick. Also you can get medical grad urine cup for very cheap that make great for great frag holders, as long as their not used.

As for a light you really dont need anything crazy for a show tank. Just need to be able to show blues and whites. I'd try to find something cheap and used.

Water wise we just used what was in our tank and made enough to fill about double our tank volume. Once you start scooping frags out and filling them with water your tank gets low quick. Also you can get medical grad urine cup for very cheap that make great for great frag holders, as long as their not used. As for a light you really dont need anything crazy for a show tank. Just need to be able to show blues and whites. I'd try to find something cheap and used.

i mean wouldn't a PAR38 with a gooseneck be easy, only cost in total about $70? And i don't make my own water i buy from the LFS, so what should i do about that, the frag tank i want is 7 gallons i believe... 18"x18" and only 6" deep, its an AIO, just need the pump and light... Whats your thoughts?

Can I ask why?

Wouldn't it just be easier to sell via your local club?

Unless you are shop, I really don't see the hassle outweighing any gains!

what do you mean local club? and i just like the whole environment of the swaps and would love to be a home vendor

Archived