Pod Your Reef

DrGibbys 10g shutting them down :(

drgibby

They all look nice! One thing I have learned in my 10g, though, is that while the steep rock hill looks good when it's just rocks, there's a lot less room for corals. The corals at the top of the hill tend to shade out all the spots available on the slopes. A broader rock pile, like in your last two pics, give more room to place corals without too much shade. But it all really depends on what kind of corals you end up keeping and how much light they like!

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They all look nice! One thing I have learned in my 10g, though, is that while the steep rock hill looks good when it's just rocks, there's a lot less room for corals. The corals at the top of the hill tend to shade out all the spots available on the slopes. A broader rock pile, like in your last two pics, give more room to place corals without too much shade. But it all really depends on what kind of corals you end up keeping and how much light they like!

Thats what i was thinking. The problem with the flatter scapes are just they dont feel as stable. I think that will change when the bottom has sand and the base doesn't slide, but im also thinking i might need to get some cement or putty to help hold it in place. As is im starting to get impatient and really want to start to get things wet. I am dying to get some fish and corals. Can't wait for this tank to have some zoas, rics, and gsp.

Also page 2!!

Im thinking of getting some of the reef cement before my fusion gets too many corals to move. The two part epoxy is awful to work with and isn't really holding the rocks together.

Take some pics and do a review! Stuff looks awesome

Im thinking of getting some of the reef cement before my fusion gets too many corals to move. The two part epoxy is awful to work with and isn't really holding the rocks together.

Take some pics and do a review! Stuff looks awesome

Ill mix some up for some pics later. I used it this weekend out of water. For a quick review all in all it works really well. The parts bond once its dried.

As for cons i know this list is long but the product still works very well im just very picky.

Product is difficult to get correct parts to get right texture. (mine always seemed to be too soupy)

Once you get correct texture you still have to hold bond together for a while or it will shift.

It drys very quickly.

your constantly mixing more because it drys so quickly.

I know this was a quick list ill try to get some pictures to describe what im saying. As for in water it says it can be done but with how it reacted to a little extra water i dont know how you would do it underwater without it dissolving

hm.. So I am guessing this is something that can not be done underwater? It is literally a cement mix? Never mind, too late for me. Unless I do it during a water change.

hm.. So I am guessing this is something that can not be done underwater? It is literally a cement mix? Never mind, too late for me. Unless I do it during a water change.

The package says it can be used underwater and some of the reviews says it can be done. look it up on youtube they seem to be able to do it

Thanks for sharing your experience. Personally I don't mind holding things together for minute or two if it sticks well in the long term.

Im looking for cheap live sand, rox carbon and a refractometer.... where should i start i really want to get this thing wet and those are whats holding me back. If the holidays weren't here i could go buy them but then people wouldn't be getting gifts this year so i must wait.

Amazon for cheap generic refractometers. Just make sure it's marked for sea water. I got mine for less than $30. I got my live sand from the LFS. One small bag was more than enough for my 10g Fusion, so it was less than $20. You could try advertising in local reef club forums in your area, someone may have some extra they might give away.

I've never found cheap ROX. I get mine from BRS and suck up the cost. Let us know if you find something cheaper :)

Ok an update on the reef cement. When i used it in my pico i took the rocks out and put the material between the two joints and smashed it together then filled in the holes. In comparison my 10 g i didn't want to remove all the rock because i was afraid i wouldn't get it back in the same way so i took the cement and painted the joints with it hoping that would bond it. It did until you actually tried to move anything or bump it then it seemed to break it up.

Moral of the story take your time work quickly but bond the joints well, dont just use it to paint the joints theres not enough surface area to create a secure bond.

Also thinking of ordering sand for this tank and my pico. How much would you guys suggest? Think 20 lbs would give me a decent coverage for both tanks?

Merry Christmas to me! Ive ordered sand, Saturday i will order Carbon and refractomter from the BRS sale, which means that i will have all the supplies necessary to get my tanks wet!!! So once the package comes in and Dave sends the bluefish casing that was missing i will be all set. Im very exctied! omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Holidays Everyone! I hope you all were safe and had a great time. Not a huge update as to whats going on. My packages all came in. I now have sand a refractometer and carbon and if i can ever get the hardscape into something im happy with ill be ready to get it wet. I thought i had something but when i took the rocks out to start cementing them i just couldn't figure out how i did it the first time. :rolleyes:

Now since this is my first time im looking for advice and future knowledge. Ive read so many other threads so i think ill be ok for now. Cycling seems easy enough i just fill it up with water and let it do its thing for a long time.

My question comes with corals and fish. What kinds of foods? Do you need to spot feed the corals? will the water have enough nutrients naturally?

I plan on raising GSP, Rics, Zoas, for now and having Firefish gobys and clownfish (this will not be all in the same tank as ill prolly split it up between the 4g and 10g)

Sounds exciting! GSP, rics, and zoas will all survive with no feeding but they will thrive if you feed them. I really like Reef Roids, personally. You can mix up a little bit in a small container like a shot glass with some tank water, and spot feed the rics and zoas with the pumps off. Or you can just dissolve a little bit in the water with the pumps on for broadcast feeding.

GSP really don't need spot feeding.

Corals love fish poop, but in such a small tank you won't have lots of fish, so they won't survive on poop alone.

Rics also love the occasional mysis or brine shrimp when they get bigger.

For the fish, ask the LFS what they are feeding when you get the fish, and make sure you see them eat before you buy. My clowns love pellets, but others have fish that will eat only flake or frozen.

The main thing is to go slow with adding things and make sure your initial purchases do well before adding more. GSP is a great test coral as it's usually pretty tough. If your GSP isn't doing well, then something is wrong.

Sounds exciting! GSP, rics, and zoas will all survive with no feeding but they will thrive if you feed them. I really like Reef Roids, personally. You can mix up a little bit in a small container like a shot glass with some tank water, and spot feed the rics and zoas with the pumps off. Or you can just dissolve a little bit in the water with the pumps on for broadcast feeding.

GSP really don't need spot feeding.

Corals love fish poop, but in such a small tank you won't have lots of fish, so they won't survive on poop alone.

Rics also love the occasional mysis or brine shrimp when they get bigger.

For the fish, ask the LFS what they are feeding when you get the fish, and make sure you see them eat before you buy. My clowns love pellets, but others have fish that will eat only flake or frozen.

The main thing is to go slow with adding things and make sure your initial purchases do well before adding more. GSP is a great test coral as it's usually pretty tough. If your GSP isn't doing well, then something is wrong.

Thanks for the advice Teeny! When my tank is cycled ill be asking you for a piece of GSP

As for everyone else. What kind of test strips or parameters do people check for when cycling and then what is checked once cycling is completed and how often?

When cycling, check salinity, temperature, ammonia and nitrates. You can also check nitrites but they typically spike real quick so you may never see anything other than zero.

After cycling, I mostly check alk, calcium, nitrates, and sometimes phosphates and magnesium. But that's in tanks that are mature and I know what to expect with the levels from one week to the next. In a new tank, nitrates and phosphates will be the big ones to keep an eye on. Alk/calcium/magnesium won't change much until you start to get lots of corals, especially sps. Then you'll get all the fun of monitoring and dosing :)

Alright so i know i said my tank would be wet by the first but my darn OCD is killing me. I just cannot decide on a scape that i like. I also need to go to the store and buy a power strip and organize all the wires. for now im going to dump all the scapes i have tried. None of them are screaming best coral placements and space for the fish to swim and hide. Anyways here you go.

24169829085_e953c7ace8.jpg2015-11-15 12.11.08 by drgibby, on Flickr

24169891495_39aa72ce53.jpg2015-11-15 12.49.26 by drgibby, on Flickr

24061814032_85152af24f.jpg2015-11-15 17.14.23 by drgibby, on Flickr

23802047159_1e3d0afed0.jpg2015-11-16 14.39.21 by drgibby, on Flickr

24061796952_a683ca9d14.jpg2015-12-09 20.12.49 by drgibby, on Flickr

23543073363_d996c2b53d.jpg2016-01-03 16.50.23 by drgibby, on Flickr

23874211640_ee695ae335.jpg2016-01-03 19.52.43 by drgibby, on Flickr

Sometimes i just hate being OCD.... :angry: i just want to get it wet

Water is mixing. I need to rearrange some of my frog tanks because i want to change the way things will be plugged in and how accesible the ato containers will be. Hopefully i will find time to do this soon. I have decided on a rock design i did the Teeny method of just tossing them in and saying looks good. I actually really like the way it looks very natural and gives things plenty of space to grow and things to hide.

Be ready the next post will show a lot :ninja::ninja:

Archived