Innovative Marine Aquariums

Spectras Cadlights Versa 42 It holds Water!

spectra

Well took the plunge today and ordered a Versa 42 from Cadlights. Could not resist the deal so hopefully it all works out. I have read many a negative review on them and also good ones so will see what happens.....I will try and give a non bias review of what shows up as I did tell Scott at Cad that I would do a build thread on the tank. Only has to travel 3 states so that is a good thing maybe :lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I debated on this tank too but ended up going IM. Considering this one again, I really miss my sump.

Let me know how you like the stand, that was what initially sold me on the IM versus this tank, but their website looks like they have re-vamped the stands and made them high gloss..............hmmmmmmmmmm

I debated on this tank too but ended up going IM. Considering this one again, I really miss my sump.

Let me know how you like the stand, that was what initially sold me on the IM versus this tank, but their website looks like they have re-vamped the stands and made them high gloss..............hmmmmmmmmmm

Yes I was going to go with a IM 50 Lagoon but decided to try the Versa 42. The sump is what got me....I have a Fusion 20 right now and the AIO are just not for me. I to am waiting to see how the furniture looks when it shows up.

Well should have it next Friday so fingers crossed. Picking up a Curve 5 for the skimmer and probably going to get a bigger pump also.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank showed up today very well packaged. Took off the plastic and wood just to make sure nothing was broke as for glass......Got it home and now it is time to assemble the Ikea furniture that came with it.....

Will post a few pics when I can.

Being lazy.........went out today and grabbed the skimmer and about 7 Zoa frags :lol: along with a nice little chunk of superman monti as it brought back memories of my old tank from yeas past.......

Now if could just figure out a light I would be all set......thinking of a ATI 6 bulb but......

LMK what you think of lighting.

Just a quick shot of the tank sitting on the stand. Stand looks good but am not to happy with the sump. Center section is only 2 inches wide between baffles.....not really any room for a fuge. Hopefully up and running in a few weeks.

IMG_1126.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well decided to toss the factory stand.....I do metal wok and can also do a little wood work so MDF went out the window......

Built a stand a few weeks ago IMG_1138.jpg

Well went back to work today and added a few braces to it and also a way to add a light bar...... IMG_1203.jpg

Also painted it so on to the wood now.......IMG_1204.jpg

Took a little time to cut up some maple ply and attach it to the frame. Not really sure what way I am going with the skin yet. Am searching for a used Router table and am just striking out all the time.......

Anyway it is going to be tight in the sump area as I am going with a Trigger Systems Emerald series sump rather than the stock Cadlights. I want a fuge area and the Cadlights is well 2 inches :wacko:

Also debating drilling the upper right corner for a return and doing a herbie style with an emergency drain. Let me know what you think on that idea if you can.

Anyway here is a mock up of the tank and sump with the skimmer Curve 5 is what I am going with. IMG_1213.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok have the skin kind of done..........looking for a color as I wanted to do white wash but hat jus di not work out at all......

IMG_1261.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Maple skin is finished. Need to finish the door this week. It is cut out but am in the process of staining it. Not even sure how many coats is on this thing so far.....

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

Also decided on going with a Herbie style drain so..........

IMG_1333.jpg

Following. I like the 42s dimensions.

Yes I wanted a 36" tank but could not really fit it in the corner. I almost went the rout of the 50 lagoon but wanted a sump. Plus the 18" depth helps out.

Am hoping to get it in the house this week as I am on vacation but need to move my other tank first and that is going to be a chore with all the stuff in it :lol:

righttirefire

How have I missed this. Awesome work spectra! Fiesta bowl! Pretty quiet around here this morning... too much party last night.

Archived