Coral Vue Hydros

DrGibby's 4g shutting them down :(

drgibby

I'd recommend you buy your L-fitting first and drill the hole according to how wide it is. It would be bad to drill according to someone else's size and then find out the fitting from your local home depot is too small :)

I drilled mine a little bit, checked the fit, and then drilled a little more. That way I got a nice tight fit.

• Like 1

I'd recommend you buy your L-fitting first and drill the hole according to how wide it is. It would be bad to drill according to someone else's size and then find out the fitting from your local home depot is too small :)

I drilled mine a little bit, checked the fit, and then drilled a little more. That way I got a nice tight fit.

ah good idea! But i should probably make sure its the same size as the hydor right? :P the L connector I should be able to get anywhere right?

• Like 1

ah good idea! But i should probably make sure its the same size as the hydor right? :P the L connector I should be able to get anywhere right?

I had to get my L connector off amazon came in a 4 pack i messed 2 up before i got the third just right.

http://www.amazon.com/RainBird-BE50-4PK-Irrigation-Fitting/dp/B001B3PI1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453210520&sr=8-1&keywords=bird+rain+l+connector

buy it with other stuff or you have to pay as much for shipping as the whole product

• Like 1

I had to get my L connector off amazon came in a 4 pack i messed 2 up before i got the third just right.

http://www.amazon.com/RainBird-BE50-4PK-Irrigation-Fitting/dp/B001B3PI1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453210520&sr=8-1&keywords=bird+rain+l+connector

buy it with other stuff or you have to pay as much for shipping as the whole product

That's the same one I got at Lowe's or Home Depot.

You also need to pick up some clear tubing - I think it was 1/2". It fits over the outside of the Hydor pump connector.

Btw, I shortened the end of the L that sticks out into the tank.

How much flow is to much flow? I think mine is fine but I never see videos with pumps on so I can't tell with surface agitation to compare...and yes it's been 2 days and I'm ready for the cycle to end so I can start playing....

It depends on your corals. Mushrooms and nems will run away from where you put them if they don't like the flow. Other than that nearly everything will tolerate as much flow as you can produce. The only problem is that the flow from a powerhead is very concentrated and not really random. That's why flow pumps like MP10 and RW-4 are popular. They give wider, slower flow, but more more water.

But really, other than some SPS, almost everything is ok with moderate flow as long as you don't have dead spots.

So as I admire everything in my tank I'm noticing black specs all on top of the sand. I was wondering what that was and it hit me it's my Ron carbon escaping it's mesh bag soooo. What bags do people get that can contain such small particles so they don't leak everywhere

Go to a crafts store and get organza bags. They sell them for birdseed or rice at weddings. They're great for small bags and they are so cheap you can throw them away after each use!

• Like 1

Go to a crafts store and get organza bags. They sell them for birdseed or rice at weddings. They're great for small bags and they are so cheap you can throw them away after each use!

Googled them and they look pretty good. Have to go to the store and pick some up!

• Like 1

Cycling is going well. Still no algae yet. :( My test strips will be coming early next week and i can start checking parameters. While were waiting for all this to happen my wife has been searching fish. Well she has fallen in love with the catalina goby and asked if we could get it. The more i look into it the more i feel its not gonna happen. Apparently it needs cold water :slap: . Now i have to go back and crush her.... :(​ Any ideas of fish that look similar but would work in a 4g or 10g?

• Like 1

Yeah, a catalina goby would be beautiful but you'd have to invest in a chiller.

I'm partial to green banded gobies :) I also love the clown gobies but they can be hard on the corals in such a small tank.

• Like 1

Yeah, a catalina goby would be beautiful but you'd have to invest in a chiller.

I'm partial to green banded gobies :) I also love the clown gobies but they can be hard on the corals in such a small tank.

Are gbg sand cleaners? Do they dominate lower part of the tank? The middle? Also do they have personality? I need fish with personalities!

Are gbg sand cleaners? Do they dominate lower part of the tank? The middle? Also do they have personality? I need fish with personalities!

Trio of Sexy Shrimp will give you some cool inverts. Porcelain Crab is a good filter feeder. Fish wise... Twin Spot goby but they're hard to feed. Circus Goby's are cool. Never owned one though. Helfrichi Firefish.. tank might be a little small and they jump. Coral Crouchers are sweet looking but I've never seen one in person. Golden Assessor. Dragonface pipefish or bluestripe pipefish if you can get one that eats frozen. Or a tailspot blenny!

So i placed an order at intank and it came in last night. It was very well packed and im so happy to get the baskets and nano mag.

24375566530_69b59fd942.jpg2016-01-27 19.58.26 by drgibby, on Flickr

It was very well packed by shipping Jeff and i love the extra stuff!

24577634881_9da09a9b89.jpg2016-01-27 19.59.12 by drgibby, on Flickr

Woohoo! omgomgomgomgomgomg

24553375422_9b0a3a511b.jpg2016-01-27 20.12.35 by drgibby, on Flickr

The mag works great and i never knew my tank could be this clean. My dumb fault though on this order is that i was going to modify the basket to fit in the 4g cadlight. Teeny had done this back i think around page 18 of his and it worked well. My fault though was Intank had recently changed the design of the media basket and it doesn't fit :slap: . Oh well i guess ill stick with my little make shift one and have an extra around. Any way heres the tank sooooo clean today !

24577602541_9d8e7ca374.jpg2016-01-28 09.08.13 by drgibby, on Flickr :wub:

i guess the next question is when do i order a cuc? do i need lots of algae so they dont starve to death or do i want them before i get overpopulated with algae.

You can put in the cuc once the tank is fully cycled. No need to wait for algae, you can feed them a little bit of fish food or pretty much anything.

You can put in the cuc once the tank is fully cycled. No need to wait for algae, you can feed them a little bit of fish food or pretty much anything.

They really enjoy the occasional hot pocket too :) atleast mine always did!