Pod Your Reef

DrGibby's 4g shutting them down :(

drgibby

You want to choose between zoas and softies only?

Just something that goes with the flow of the tank. My coral knowledge is limited so im not really sure.

Its been a while since i posted a fTS with everything happy. Here you go This is 5 minutes after a waterchange everything loves the new salt.

28589194805_b7692be212.jpg20160727_093838 by drgibby, on Flickr

Still trying to come up with an idea for a coral centerpiece so if you have some ideas lets hear them! The space is probably about 2 inches wide for size reference.

and a top down cuz i like the way it looks :P

28510747611_be1f08c608.jpg20160727_093930 by drgibby, on Flickr

• Like 1

Is it sad that im really considering taking out the spinstream and adding an MP10 to increase the flow in areas.. ill keep the return but with just a directional instead of the spinstream. Im just trying to think of ways to get more flow in the back of the tank the spinstream sticks to far out.

Im wondering if the mp10 is overkill though. The one in the IM10 is only at 40% and its a lot. In the 4g i'd have to put it at like 10-20%

any thoughts on this

• Like 1

I tried my MP10 in my 4g, but it was just too much. I couldn't set it higher than 20%, which means it really can't vary the flow rate much at all to give that nice random flow.

Instead, I installed a bigger return pump and used the spinstream. With the faster flow, I could set it just high enough that it didn't blast all the sand out, and that gave enough flow pretty much all over the tank.

I tried my MP10 in my 4g, but it was just too much. I couldn't set it higher than 20%, which means it really can't vary the flow rate much at all to give that nice random flow.

Instead, I installed a bigger return pump and used the spinstream. With the faster flow, I could set it just high enough that it didn't blast all the sand out, and that gave enough flow pretty much all over the tank.

I was wondering if it wouldn't be enough to make it have enough random flow :angry: . I have already upgraded the pump and added the spinstream and for the most part the tank is good. There is just one small spot of rock higher up right next to the return pump that just doesn't seem to get enough. Id try a tunze but i dont want that big of a footprint in the tank or even cords

We need to write vortech and tell them to make an MP5!

• Like 1

So things are going ok. The Lepto has shown some encrusting growth which is nice to see. The one orange ric is still shrunk and just staying that way. He just wont fluff up which is odd cuz the one next to him looks great.

Here are some pictures for the day

28735828896_72837a86d1.jpg20160804_142841_001 by drgibby, on Flickr

28767346585_bc88049c46.jpg20160804_142739 by drgibby, on Flickr

28662220642_8f745b4d72.jpg20160804_142823 by drgibby, on Flickr

My favorite picture of the day

28149677734_e9ce3c00e8.jpg20160804_142751_001 by drgibby, on Flickr

Holy Blasto batman. Ric looks good too :) has the lepto been good overall? Just super slow?

Yea the lepto has never had issues it just took him forever to start growing. Hes growing very well now though starting to cover his rock like hes suppose to

I was feeding the tank today and the acan reached up and grabed a bunch of mysis. Ive never seen him so puffy

28234926883_41767ccfc7.jpg20160808_104239 by drgibby, on Flickr

As i mentioned in the 10g thread the alk in this tank is doing well it just needs a bit of calcium added daily to keep the levels above 400

Also i still dont have any clue what piece of coral i want as a centerpiece. figure ill just keep waiting and looking around

• Like 3

So i have been talking with NYfishies, apparently a zoa king or queen they seem to have everything. They have been giving me some good ideas on what to put there. I found them while surfing the members forums and man do they have a great selection. Im hoping to add some really cool stuff soon!! :ninja:

• Like 1
FlamingPrawn

So i have been talking with NYfishies, apparently a zoa king or queen they seem to have everything. They have been giving me some good ideas on what to put there. I found them while surfing the members forums and man do they have a great selection. Im hoping to add some really cool stuff soon!! :ninja:

So what are the options so far?

So i have been using Polyp booster now for about 2 weeks and i can notice a huge difference. I have never seen my favia reach out and puff up as much as he is now trying to get food. Also the acan and ufo micromussa love it as well. This is some great stuff. One question i have is does it seem to leave an oily film on the surface? I might be putting to much in the tank.

28951352741_5d2c6d6c03.jpg20160816_105336 by drgibby, on Flickr

28922382422_e88fde6e7e.jpg20160816_105329 by drgibby, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Its been a while. Things are going great. Waiting some time before the new frags are shipped out. Im thinking of experimenting with less water changes maybe going every 2 weeks or so. I think i remember Dave going a long time without one. Maybe ill send him a message and ask him what he did. The tank just looks better when i leave it alone is all. FTS

28741187994_0a693fb89d.jpg20160831_111013 by drgibby, on Flickr

• Like 2

That micromussa is an absolute monster! it looks so good! Cloves are starting to fill out too it looks like

It really is.. i fear it and the acan are going to out grow this tank. The cloves have started growing out onto the rocks and the micromussa has like 8 heads.. considering it came as 1 or 2. The acan now has 2 very good heads and 2 even smaller ones starting. Its crazy how well they are growing.

• Like 1

Water change day means an update. So bubble algae seems to be popping up in this tank. im deciding if i want to ignore it or remove it or by some critter to go for it.

Water change day means an update. So bubble algae seems to be popping up in this tank. im deciding if i want to ignore it or remove it or by some critter to go for it.

Emerald crab would be your best bet. Only other is manual removal :unsure: . Can't just pop it either sadly. So I think next order we do I'm going to order a Yellow Carpet...

So i picked off what i could. A couple popped and i figure ill be picking more off from somewhere else. It was really hard not to pop them though. very thin outer shell on these bubbles.