ReefCleaners.org

Spencer's College Tank

Spencer7

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Tank Specs: 17g Display Started on 10/12/15

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................
Tank: ADA 60-P

Filtration: Eheim 250 Classic Canister Filter

Filter Media: BRS GFO and BRS 0.8 ROX Carbon

Lighting: 2x TruPop LEDTRiC Par 38's

Water Movement: Sparse!

Heater: 25w Jager Heater

Electronics: Reef Keeper Lite System

Sand: 20lb Nature's Ocean Reef Sand

Water: Petco Real Ocean Water & Grocery DI Water

Auto Top Off: JBJ ATO and Tom Aqua Lifter

Rock: ~6lbs Walt Smith Reef Rock 2.1 (dry)

Livestock: Ocellaris Clownfish, Aiptasia Filefish, Barnacle Blenny, 2x Trochus Snails, Emerald Crab, Elephant Conch

Coral: Large Colt, War Coral, Superman Montipora, Mint Pavona

Status: Tank and I are home for the summer, I am working, staying in shape, traveling, and hanging with my friends. The tank looks awesome, super simple and as low-maintenance as the freshwater it proceeds. I do a water change and change the media every 4-6 weeks--the tank evaporates about 4-5 gallons a month as well!

............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Front Tank Shots

Month One

21588448363_8974153dee.jpg

............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dosing Regimen: Chaos!

Spending Itinerary: Updated (10/16/15)

• Like 4

this a dorm tank? and where are you studying at? haven't seen you in a while

Dorm tank: Yes

I'm studying at University of Connecticut in the honors program as a STEM scholar. I am a freshman and my major is Material Science and Engineering.

I went quiet over the summer getting ready for college and working on two different projects for a company. Kinda put the hobby on the back-burner. It's hard to be super motivated about a tank that you know you're gonna completely dismantle at the end of the summer. I never planned to have it running (this is the 40g) while in college, way too much work for family, it would not go smoothly and there wasn't much of a point.

I didn't plan to set up a college dorm tank two months ago, just didn't think it'd be smart and I didn't know what my schedule, RA, room, etc. would be like. Now, after a month of college, I have a serious tank itch and decided that I'll convert my freshwater tank from home (I left it up because it doesn't require maintenance) and use that to play around with here. I have all the equipment for a small tank.

Let's hope for the best! You guys will be updated after Columbus day weekend (October 10-12th) that's when I'll be heading home and getting all my supplies.

Thanks,

S

So, I just feel like making a post on here lol.

I'm home right now, I took down and cleaned my freshwater tank and have gone through a good bit of used equipment. I'm trying to assess what exactly I want to bring back to college. Tomorrow I'll go to the store and get my sand, some small goodies, and some aquascaping putty. There's a fire safety room inspection on Thursday and I think I might play it safe and wait till right after it to set up the tank. They're strict and I'm not sure how 'up to code' my setup will be e.e lol.

I'll take a picture of my aquarium 'luggage' tomorrow, whole lotta buckets, electronics, backup equipment, piping...tank basics.

Thanks for following!

-S

Still unpacking gear but this is where I'm leaving it for the night (need to study for programming test)

I'll be hooking up my 3rd Par38. *phone pic*

Tank will be wet tomorrow!

22091417562_3f026dc175_c.jpg

• Like 1

Glad to see you coming back !!! I'm surprised you're able to get away with a tank of that size,which is badass. Will it be anything like the sps tank lol ?

• Like 1

Glad to see you coming back !!! I'm surprised you're able to get away with a tank of that size,which is badass. Will it be anything like the sps tank lol ?

Haha, it will be THE sps tank!

Pshh online they say max 10g and in an email they said max 30g...if anyone asks I'll just say 10g lol, they don't know the difference ;P

It's good to be back :) I'm excited to see what I can do in the 6-7 months I have before the tank will have to be moved.

21923849820_0ed666e109_c.jpg

So I take it you got rid of all the other pieces or what ? There was some absolutely ridiculous sps you had. That's crazy,well I'd say this tank is in the middle lol should be fine. Damn right as it gets to its prime it'll have to be moved lol.

• Like 1

So I take it you got rid of all the other pieces or what ? There was some absolutely ridiculous sps you had. That's crazy,well I'd say this tank is in the middle lol should be fine. Damn right as it gets to its prime it'll have to be moved lol.

Yup haha, it sucks that right as it can really be considered 'matured' (imo) that it will probably receive some shock. I don't know if I'll be home during the summer or if I'll be working somewhere else or doing research at a separate university, we'll just have to see.

Yea, I got rid of the pieces. Some RTN'd and I brought the rest to the store.

It'll be interesting to see if I get this tank 'really moving' in the time I have. It's gonna have a nice long cycle for sure.

All you can do is hope for the best,especially with sps as you know. You've got some serious dedication lol that's all I'm going to say hahaha.

Are you going to try and fit the 3rd par bulb over the top or just keep it as 2 ?

• Like 1

All you can do is hope for the best,especially with sps as you know. You've got some serious dedication lol that's all I'm going to say hahaha.

Are you going to try and fit the 3rd par bulb over the top or just keep it as 2 ?

We'll see, originally I hoped to use a clamp light to have light project at an angle but the shade for it doesn't dettach to fit the bulb.

So! I'll probably just hang it above with the others, there's plenty of room. I'm not in a rush to do this just because the tank's gonna be cycling for a month plus without coral so it'll be fine for now lol.

Just added rock and sand, whipped up a simple two-island scape similar to my old one. We'll see if I wanna change things up once the water clears.

60p Ada are great tanks!

You got that right Giga, this tank has been used for two freshwater setups and now this without getting a scratch or ever leaking. The silicone hasn't even flaked at all, which is sweet.

The dimensions also leave a lot of room for variety in the scapes :)

you should get a in-line heater and thermostat when you get the chance, would look awesome.

I've thought about it. (for aesthetics obv.)

For now just gonna take the heater out for FTSs, not really in a rush to spend the money, don't really care lol.

• Like 1

you should get a in-line heater and thermostat when you get the chance, would look awesome.

I have no facts to base this on, but my personal experience with my in line heater on my reef tank went like this. Had it on the tank for about a year, coral grew very slowly. Took out heater and replaced it with a cobalt neotherm, coral then exploded in growth. I noticed this and actually stumbled on a thread where someone was complaining about how theirs seemed to do that as well. I haven't ripped it apart to see what all is going on with it inside but its got me curious.

• Like 1