Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shallow Reef Tank - New tank update

tanacharison

tanacharison

New coral and new aquascape. The gyre moves a ton of water but i'm having a hard time finding the balance that I want. I'll grab up the icecap adapter for apex so I can make it more random. I pulled out the camera to do some better shots. Growth is going well and fish are happy. I think I have 4 brittle stars now!

DSC_0250_zpsrmsgybxa.jpg

DSC_0174_zpswlirvzt8.jpg

DSC_0161_zpsmmawdlnb.jpg

DSC_0210_zpshqemyex7.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tanacharison

Playing around with youtube editor and came up with the most anti dramatic video ever! At least the coral colors look good.

tanacharison

Looking down at the 2 cannons right before bed time. I'm seeing a ton of brittle stars crawling out of the rocks when I feed the coral. I never purchased them for the tank but they seem to be doing great. Ordered the icecap controller for the gyre so it can be programmed with my apex. I want to really randomize the flow with it I was thinking maybe run it off for 2 times 2-3 hours a day and just use return or use reef crest on MP10 during that time frame.

DSC_0300_zpsar254jkq.jpg

tanacharison

Nice top down pic, really shows off the aquascape.

Thanks! I Hope I can recreate it later down the road when I move everything to my new stand.

tanacharison

So everything came today :D Now the difficult part will be programing the gyre for a random and ramp pattern and then programing my mp10 around it. Sigh feels like too much work for tonight. Looks like i'm going to need to program it in a bucket of water... it ramps to 100% when its first connected to an apex.

Is anyone programing this for a random flow on a nano yet? I haven't ran my gyre past 45% lol

tanacharison

Finished building some of the best looking reactors to start my morning on a long tank day.

Hopefully I can get it all finished :blink:

9:00 Testing Key Elements

9:15 Clean Sump

10:00 Water Change, change socks

10:40 Clean and program Gyre

11:00 Drive out to LFS Reef Gallery for some new goodies

1:00 Lunch/acclimate party

2:00 Plumbing new bio pellet reactor

3:00 Make new RODI water

3:30 Place orders for plumbing new stand and kessil mounting arms and extensions.

4:00 Feed fish

4:30 Enjoy tank with cold beer and pizza

7:00 New coral photo shoot

11:00 Feed Corals

20160420_075754_HDR_zpsu6pnj3no.jpg

tanacharison

Just a update..

Utter Chaos Zoa, Mummy Eye Chalice, Miami Hurricane Chalice and Pink Watermelon Chalice

DSC_0312_zpsk10uirec.jpg

Just a update..

Utter Chaos Zoa, Mummy Eye Chalice, Miami Hurricane Chalice and Pink Watermelon Chalice

DSC_0312_zpsk10uirec.jpg

mmm tasty tasty!

tanacharison

Tank is going well.. Most corals are now growing faster than ever. I've been working with a good friend on designing a new stand for it when I move. I want to get all my electrical cords and apex units cleaned up and organized. Avast biopellet reactor is working twice as good as my old reactor with the same flow rate. I also ordered a new light for the refugium. My last light worked well but because it was mounted to the side I was not getting the full maco algae growth I could get that space. Giving something new a try...NanoBox Beam. :happy:

Looking at doing a slight tank upgrade but I haven't decided if I want to do it. I'm searching around for someone to build the same tank just 4 inches taller. Main reason is I can increase my max flow with the gyre and it wont directly blast any of my branching corals. If I do decided to do it I'm giving the synergy reef overflow a try, the low profile on the backwall should not disrupt tank flow much and give back some tank space. My only concern is with the difference in depth for my corals not sure if the Kessil A160 combo will still be ideal at that point given that I will also be increasing surface agitation as well. I might be looking for a new light :unsure: Slightly depressing given that I have not even installed the mounting arms and extension tubes.

DSC_0330_zpsbgrqfll3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
tanacharison

With the addition of they gyre I felt like I needed to increase my lighting intensity. I've slowing increased it overall 25% over the past few weeks. To my surprise a few corals are actually showing better color and growth as a result. I was more afraid of bleaching or even melting my LPS. New reactors are working out well and it does not look like changing media will be too difficult. Overall things are going well.

Cencalfishguy56

With the addition of they gyre I felt like I needed to increase my lighting intensity. I've slowing increased it overall 25% over the past few weeks. To my surprise a few corals are actually showing better color and growth as a result. I was more afraid of bleaching or even melting my LPS. New reactors are working out well and it does not look like changing media will be too difficult. Overall things are going well.

what percent are you at? I'm at 55% on a 20L hope to get to 70% in the next few weeks
tanacharison

what percent are you at? I'm at 55% on a 20L hope to get to 70% in the next few weeks

I have it 60% for 2 hours and 70% for 2 hours at my mid day peek.

reefernanoman

New coral and new aquascape. The gyre moves a ton of water but i'm having a hard time finding the balance that I want. I'll grab up the icecap adapter for apex so I can make it more random. I pulled out the camera to do some better shots. Growth is going well and fish are happy. I think I have 4 brittle stars now!

DSC_0250_zpsrmsgybxa.jpg

DSC_0174_zpswlirvzt8.jpg

DSC_0161_zpsmmawdlnb.jpg

DSC_0210_zpshqemyex7.jpg

Nice Shallow!

tanacharison

So I decided to order a Hanna Checker for Alkalinity and a few more filter socks. Hopefully I can cut down on my daily/weekly maintenance with quicker testing and less frequent sock cleaning.

New tank ordered for the move. I'm having additional thoughts on adding a larger gain sand to the tank. Mainly for the ability to add a fish or two that require sand. Barebottom is great for the corals and keeping the tank spotless but I also have a love for beautiful reef fish. I'll keep running it over in my head until the move in July.

tanacharison

That black bottom looks so hard to keep "clean"

Yeah it can be a pain at times. That's 2 hours after I syphoned all the gunk out. I just syphon it into my filter socks when I change them every few days. Biggest down side is almost no light reflection back to corals.

tanacharison

New light for refugium looks amazing! The colors look great.

DSC_0081_zps8o8jvrvf.jpg

DSC_0082_zpslv2bbujq.jpg

DSC_0104_zpsggtwjoqv.jpg

He also looks happy too.

tanacharison

Its unreal how much faster the Hanna Checkers, now if only they automatically sent the results to my apex aquarium log.

Archived