Coral Vue Hydros

Shallow Reef Tank - New tank update

tanacharison

After playing with a few different tanks I moved to this new shallow reef tank and wanted to share the build with the forum. Its my first acrylic tank. I'll be keeping the tank bare bottom with a lot of flow and heavy feeding.

Tank: Advanced Acrylics 26 Gallon 30x20x10
Advanced Acrylics Sump 20x16x16 with 3 Filter Socks and Small Fudge. ATO 4x16x16
Light: 2 Kessil A160 with Spectral Controller, Refugium Light JBJ Nano Glow 12" Nanobox Beam, Current USA TrueLumen Moonlight
Flow: Vortech MP10w Silent Drive, Maxpect Gyre XF-130 and Syncra 4.0 Return Pump
ATO: Tunze Nano ATO all water made with BRS 4 Stage RODI
Skimmer: Reef Octopus BH-50 Ice Cap K2-120
Reactors: Bulk Reef Supply ROX Carbon and Bio pellets, Avast Marine Media Reactors, with bio-pellet nozzle.

Control: Apex Controller, IceCap Controller and Battery Backup for Gyre

Heater: Eheim Jager 150watt

Water changes 10% weekly with Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
Dosing as needed with Bi-Ionics Cal and Alk, Ions for Mag
Feeding:
Fish- Pemysis Shrimp, New Life Spectrum Small Formula, Polyp-Booster (Daily)
Coral- Coral Frenzy 1mm (twice a week), Reef Roids, Reef Fuel (once a week),

image_zpsgo0ktgnk.jpeg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30×20×10 26 gallon from advanced acrylics with a 16×16×20 sump and separate ATO from them as well. It was similar to the frag tank design they sell but I tweaked it slightly.

Yeah I did bb in my last few tanks and liked it a lot. I'll be able to keep the flow high and tank clean as long as I syphon a few days a week. I like the bb with a black bottom and back wall instend of a clear or glass.

tanacharison

As a Summer time shout-out I've added a pair of Lemon Chromis to the tank! Hopefully they brighten your evening.

Message_1443727223056_zpsgmee8pqf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

that's a sturdy looking tank stand

Yeah it was originally for my 75 gallon and I built it so if I wanted a bigger tank I could use the same stand. Never thought I would enjoy something a lot smaller.

You got plenty of space for sump expansion, and maybe another small tank to compliment the first one. Great start so far. Following along!

Might look cool with some doors to hide what's under the hood.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATES!

New frags mounted.

I have snails.. Lots of them. I will post pics but maybe 50 or so tiny babies all across the tank. I moved 2 nerite snails from my last tank into this one so I'm fairly certain that's what they are although I did get a hitch hacker bumblebee snail at some point.

My only current issue is low Alk so Ive been using 2 part to help get it more balanced.

I also believe that I'm aiptasia free now, peppermint shrimp did well except I think they might be responsible for my frogspawn skeleton frag.

• 3 weeks later...

image_zpsriebrk7p.jpeg

image_zpsyhka97yn.jpeg

image_zpssvhmoclv.jpeg

image_zpsczywtnsp.jpeg

Massive photo dump with new corals. My oceans wonders mag rack came in today and I already filled it up, it is really strong and holds well on the acrylic tank. My second kessil A160 comes next week along with the updated controller for my MP10.

20151210_141922_zpsdnha1va6.jpg

Installed second A160 but I'm in need of a much better mounting system. I hate the look but it will hold for now. When I build the new stand for my transfer I can get the new mounting rails for a much cleaner look.

Quiet Drive was a simple switch and it did reduce the noise a lot. Now all I hear is my skimmer.

Tested everything last night and things were great. No NH3 0, NO3 0, PH 8.3, ALK 8 , Ca 460, Mg 1500. Bottom of tank its a battle to keep clean.. I'm siphoning gunky water 3 times a week off the bottom and wiping it off with a acrylic pad as well but black shows everything. Some spots acquired a weird film algae in higher flow areas its barley visible but the LEDs pick it up. I'm picking up a test kit for P04 today.

image_zpsggawy10l.jpeg

Can anyone ID this macroalgae? I think it was accidentally picked up when I bough my chaeto and it outgrew it in the fudge. I have not trimmed it at all only pulled some hair algae that grew behind it. Its very pink with thicker branches than chaeto.

20151218_102318_zps8cqqhlbd.jpg

20151218_102300_zpswcsq9ctf.jpg

20151218_101808_zps3crbrlva.jpg

Acans are coloring very nice and loving coral frenzy.

image_zps8u8akdnp.jpeg

image_zpspgdnnjsn.jpeg

LFS had some very nicely priced zoas.

image_zpsloqpbadd.jpeg

Torch looked more yellow/gold under there lights but it is still a very nice piece and acclimated well.

20151218_102236_zpsu227vrzy.jpg

Best $5 ever spent!

image_zpsnndbet29.jpeg

20151216_153143_zpswsiwcnjx.jpg

Finally the fat and happy fish.

Archived