Coral Vue Hydros

newbie here...Something new popped up !

BobinJersey

Always had freshwater tanks, taking a stab at a reef / fish tank.

Started my 28G BioCube Monday night.

Live sand, water and 13 lbs of Live rock from LFS.

Found this pop up..Is it a Aipstasia ?

Thanks ---Bob

20150924_2152411.jpg

No quarantine tank..

This is the only one I've seen in the tank.

have seen some postings using different methods to kill them...

Any thoughts on the best most efficient way ?

Throw that rock into the depths on hell and watch that demon burn. That's really the best way to get rid of aipstasia.

I like this idea !

Or maybe just give it back to the LFS that sold it to me !

I like this idea !

Or maybe just give it back to the LFS that sold it to me !

I guess taking it back would be an option.

But If not I would definitely take that rock out of the water, try to get it with some tweezers and the burn the rest of it off with a little mini torch.

I prefer the nuclear option for aiptasia. Long after the world is a wasteland I am convinced there will only be roaches and aiptasia left (and Keith Richards).

Get the rock out. Now. Watch the other rock like a hawk before adding anything else. Aiptasia infestation is why my original LR became dead rock one by one in my first reef tank after 2 bottles of AiptasiaX, lemon juice and boiling water just made the little @$*#ers laugh and reproduce faster.

yup....this thing laughed at boiling water and lemon juice.

peppermint shrimp doesn't seem to be touching it after 24 hrs. Not sure how long it takes for them.

may have to go nuclear.

Aptasia is gone thanks to my new friend The Peppermint Shrimp. Hopefully no more...

This is a new critter I saw tonight ! Walking around on the rocks..2 antenna, kinda hard to get a really good pic..

Good, Bad or Ugly ????

Thanks in advance for all the help !20150930_2139271.jpg

Aiptasia X has always worked pretty well for me, or boiling water in a syringe.

Man you always have the creepiest captions in your sig!

Aptasia is gone thanks to my new friend The Peppermint Shrimp. Hopefully no more...

This is a new critter I saw tonight ! Walking around on the rocks..2 antenna, kinda hard to get a really good pic..

Good, Bad or Ugly ????

Thanks in advance for all the help !20150930_2139271.jpg

Looks like an Elephant Slug. I had one that got about 2" across and would not hurt a thing other than micro algae. Super cool critter.

On a side note, if you add any Euphyllia corals make sure you keep an eye on the peppermint shrimp. I have had known aptasia eating peppies also eat a couple of torch corals. it was too late for the last torch by the time I caught the dang shrimp munching it.

Archived