Cultivated Reef

ESV B-Ionic part 1(ALK) and TLF C balance Part B(CA): AND Ca above 600... !

ManGups

I have been dosing TFL C Balance and primarily needed the part B since my ALK need to be kept from dropping. My Ca always seemed to be stable. My does was not high I was doing 1 am a day for ALk and no dosing for Ca. Coral growth is okay - could be better.

Anyways, I just bought the ESV B-Ionic Part 1 (ALK) since my Part B (which is again ALK for TLF) was over.

Question: Since ESV is 2 part do you have to dose both (ALk and CA) or can you just dose ESV Part 1 i.e. ALK ? Some posts on the forum say does the ALK as needed and do equal part of Ca after 10~20 mins and Ca will eventually fall into place.

Ideally if you have Ca stable is there a reason why i need to dose ESV part 2 when I dose ESV Part 1 for ALk?

Parameters:

SG: 1.026

PO4 : Hanna 0.002

NO3 : API shows 0

Ph: Apex probe shows ober the day varying for 7.9 ~ 8.1

Temp: 78 ~80 F over a day

DKH: last measured at 8.6

Salt : Coral pro Purple buckey

If you are dosing to make up for consumption, then you will have to dose both (not just alkalinity), really the three (alk, cal, and mag).

Thanks... well i need to dose together in equal amount. Dose Alk based on ALK consumption and the equal amount of Ca.

But continue to monitor calcium and make adjustments accordingly (keeping in mind what you read in the linked Reefkeeping article.

Running into slight problems here:

I was running C- balance 2 part and unfortunately I ended up with an extra C-Balance part B (Ca) {shipping issue/free replacement}. When I ran out of C-balance part A (ALK) I switched over to EVS Bionic.

Anyways Long story short : I started dosing 1 ml of EVS Bionic Part A (Alk) and 1ml of C- balance part B(Ca) last week.

PROBLEM:

During some random testing today Ca is above 600 ppm (tested twice on Salifert and again with red sea kits). Right now no issue physically seen in tank (Acro Polyps, Zoa's open, Acan all fat, Hammer all nice swollen up and no color or tissue loss out etc).

ACTION Taken:

I have stopped Ca dosing but wondering if I should continue ALK dosing?

I will let Ca deplete itself and also do a small water change and keep a watch on Alk and Ca as iIdo so.

Current parameters:

ph: 7.9

Salinity: 1.025

dKH: 8.3

Ca : ~ 600+ ppm

Mg: 1401 ppm

PO4: 0.02

NO3 : did not test

Others:

Tank is more than 1 yr old. Corals: mostly lepto, acro, moti's, digita's and few LPS - acan, hammer, zoa etc

I would appreciate any insight suggestion from people who have faced this before.

MAIN question: Technically can you mix two other 2 -part dosing and dose e.g : ESV Bionic Alk (part A) and TLF C-balance Ca (Part B ) or this is No No....??

Archived