Cultivated Reef

Radion/T5 retrofit design finally built !

ManGups

I used the same reflectors, the aquatic life, and love them. I personally use the blue plus and adjust my whites to make up the difference in the color i wanted. I run the T5's for 6 hours out of a 12 hour photoperiod. The ceiling, as long as it's not an old ass house will hold 11# easily. It will look nicer and have easier height adjustment rather than using some brackets from the wall. JMO

I used the same reflectors, the aquatic life, and love them. I personally use the blue plus and adjust my whites to make up the difference in the color i wanted. I run the T5's for 6 hours out of a 12 hour photoperiod. The ceiling, as long as it's not an old ass house will hold 11# easily. It will look nicer and have easier height adjustment rather than using some brackets from the wall. JMO

Same reflectors... U mean u used the aquatic life reflectors and cut them to fit?

I will go with a adjustable wall mount - not ceiling. I have no idea how to hang from the ceiling or will need to ask some and spend money on it

Personally I would toss an extra fan in there. Try and see if you can have it blows through one side and out the other ( left to right ).

-Dave

Dave .. I am thinking the same thing. I was thinking like 2 of these : http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/365309-my-fan-is-smaller-than-yours/

The unit has 2 open wire ports because I removed the moonlight LED's so i can actually use 2 small fans. I need to figure out size and voltage on those wire.

The LED's are these (1 W) - http://www.marineandreef.com/AquaticLife_Replacement_LED_p/ral70103.htmNot sure what if the small fans above can work on the same voltage ?

That looks AWESOME. If it worked on the stock Radion RMS system I would try something similar

I think an Odyssea 6 bulb unit might work on an RMS mount. I would not do 1 mount though

Update 10/01:

Light assembly build completed and 2 step behind final product. Still need to get a hanging assembly on wall, proper bulbs.

Light assembly- I used a plexiglass strip to mount the radion rather than a whole board. I wanted to keep the side vents on the top of the radion open. Notice the vent is just bedside the T5 fixture fan so on one end and another opening on another. I think this can handle heat well. If need I will get a small fan blowing sideways across on the top side of the radion.

The T5 relfectors are not drilled in and are set well along the little protruding edge of the fixture. I like it that way since this give me flexibility to turn the reflector within the fixture if needed.

I think this is okay as a first attempt. My ideal fixture would be a ATI 6 X 24W

21251911653_55749ea29f_k.jpg

JUST T5

21861057012_bc2738deed_k.jpg

T5 & Radion

21882607411_4d4873b114_k.jpg

Testing on tank - I still need to get a hanging kit

21846830086_efcd54bb63_k.jpg

T5 and Radions

21882613871_d5c3e2d6d2_k.jpg

Update 10/08: Light finally assembled and hung. Using 2 T5 special blue. Need to find tweak the hanging. Will be running the T5 for 4 hrs from 2pm to 6 pm. Radion intensity reduced to 35% with 2 week acclimation.

PS: Pardon the red t-shirt and checked night flannels. Was doing this late night after my 2 yr went to bed.

22049457091_554546cbb9_k.jpg

Get the wide angle lenses to diffuse the light some. Otherwise I like it.

Will wait for some time and see how it goes and upgrade to gen 3 pro with wide angle lens :) This whole thing now probably cost me 200 usd on tools, parts supplies.

reefernanoman

Update 10/08: Light finally assembled and hung. Using 2 T5 special blue. Need to find tweak the hanging. Will be running the T5 for 4 hrs from 2pm to 6 pm. Radion intensity reduced to 35% with 2 week acclimation.

PS: Pardon the red t-shirt and checked night flannels. Was doing this late night after my 2 yr went to bed.

22049457091_554546cbb9_k.jpg

That's a lot of light for that tank. I shouldn't be talking either! My current setup is overkill too :lol::lol: . Nice work anyways.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this is the first time I am seeing the finished product. Love it!

Thanks .. The light was dis-mantled. This was an attempt to supplement the LED with T5. I decided to go with a more T5 and LED supplement approach. I found T5 do much better when it comes to color color and growth. I have now gone with and ATI T5/LED Hybrid Powermodule and so far it doing well. I doubt I can make any more improvements on the light. I think reached the last straw.... last with probably MH's.

Archived