Pod Your Reef

Radion/T5 retrofit design finally built !

ManGups

I have a Fluval M60 tank with a Radion Gen 2 on an RMS mount. The aquscape that I have has shadowing effect so am looking to supplement it T5. Also T5 supplements better colors etc. Ideally would like a Nano-box hybrid but not looking to spend too much now.

So how you mount T5 with a Radion on an RMS mount? Any Ideas. Also could use suggestion on color etc.

Tank looks like this now: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350027-fluval-m60-aio-some-new-pics-sept-2015/?p=5148769

I looked into this as well. It seemed like the only option would be to buy a 6 bulb 24" fixture, remove the center 4 bulbs and screw in the radion.

No clamp-on solutions unfortunately :(

Thanks Harry.

I researched a bit and this seems to the best way to go or the way you suggested.

LINK: http://blog.marinedepot.com/2014/05/my-diy-hood-for-t5-radion-led-lighting.html

Mounting this on a RMS mount probably can be done but with 2 or 3 mounts. Again this is a lot of custom work and also not sure if 2~3 RMS mount to hold the hood is the right option or use the tank mount you see with Odyssea T5HO

Thanks Harry.

I researched a bit and this seems to the best way to go or the way you suggested.

LINK: http://blog.marinedepot.com/2014/05/my-diy-hood-for-t5-radion-led-lighting.html

Mounting this on a RMS mount probably can be done but with 2 or 3 mounts. Again this is a lot of custom work and also not sure if 2~3 RMS mount to hold the hood is the right option or use the tank mount you see with Odyssea T5HO

This is what I was drooling over. Check it out: a commercial fixture where the radion clips right in!

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/09/10/triton-aquatics-hybrid-t5-led-invites-bring-lights/

Oh Man..... Harry -- now you are just going to make me spend monieess... :unsure:

It stil hasn't come out... I am on the waiting list for a beta test. They said Macna

It stil hasn't come out... I am on the waiting list for a beta test. They said Macna

Well that has come and gone and they haven't answered any of my emails or anyone elses. Even about their reactors. Dead. Gone. Kaput. They announced this last MACNA too.

How about this? Get the light gut the MH reflector and fit the Radion in there.

To fit the radion - will have to drill holes on the outer shell from top and get the right length of screws. I think it might just work.

Big question is how much is the size of the MH reflector? Also heat dissipation can be a problem but i think a small fan can do that job. I would like to use all 4 T5HO (probably and overkill)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MH-24-Metal-Halide-T5-Aquarium-Light-Coral-Reef-Marine-250W-Bulb-Lamp-LED-346W-/111477953282?hash=item19f49a9302

what do you guys think?

Get two of these!http://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904298-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUEV0/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1443044865&sr=8-12&keywords=T5+lightthey have 18in 24in 36in 48in. You can hang them or prop them up. Just get the proper light bulbs.

I would like to go that way but mounting it is the problem . How do I mount it all together is what is bothering me. I would to do it nice clean rather than a patch up work.

That means I need to do build a custom housing in wood, paint, coat etc and the mount which I either want as tank mount or RMS kind of mount. Ar this point I don't want to do a hanging mount or a shelf bracket mount.

A proper shelf with some rigid handing could be one clean option.

Hanging would be the cleanest option unless you wanna build a canopy? It would be easy if you literally made a wood tray. About the dimensions of you tank about only 3-4in tall. Mount the radion in the middle and have the 2 t5s on the front and back of it. And have all the wires come out the back

Hanging would be the cleanest option unless you wanna build a canopy? It would be easy if you literally made a wood tray. About the dimensions of you tank about only 3-4in tall. Mount the radion in the middle and have the 2 t5s on the front and back of it. And have all the wires come out the back

It seems the wood is a cheaper option but needs work if you want a nice looking one. Another one is get one of these - See pic and the gut the MH from the middle and figure out a way to attach the radion.

I am going to see if I can find a used one and make sure we have enough space for the Radion to fit instead of the MH reflector etc.$(KGrHqF,!q8FGU2FCuQ5BRse4ODd9Q~~60_57.J

Dave is right.

Make sure the unit breaths OK for the LEDs sake. Should be alright. I believe there are fans mounted to the top vents in that fixture if not do that.

That reflector isn't quite as wide or long as a radion iirc.

Heat is what is bothering me. It has 2 fans but if it is built for a MH and T5 then I presume it can handle LED and T5.

I wrote to the seller and he said the reflector size is 9" x 5". I am at the flying back home so will measure when I get home.

The modifications if the hole is small would be using some metal sheet cutter. Length can be expanded but not sure on width since the reflectors for the t5 are just there.

Another would be adding another another fan on top and connect it to existing fan.

This is still quite some work but I guess less than building a custom hood for both radion and t5.

Ideal option is just gets Dave Hybird but cannot afford it.

I think your plan will work but you will have to cut more of the black center material. A radion is 11.8x7x1.5thick.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about heat. The stock fans of the radion and of that T5 unit should keep it cool enough. I've never noticed very much heat coming from my Radions because they do have a pretty efficient fan.

I think your plan will work but you will have to cut more of the black center material. A radion is 11.8x7x1.5thick.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about heat. The stock fans of the radion and of that T5 unit should keep it cool enough. I've never noticed very much heat coming from my Radions because they do have a pretty efficient fan.

Thanks

Found another one on ebay and trying to get the information on the MH reflector width. This comes with a hanging kit but there are tank mounts available for this.

Notice: the T5 has white reflectors? Not sure on those? Any suggestion?

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Thanks

Found another one on ebay and trying to get the information on the MH reflector width. This comes with a hanging kit but there are tank mounts available for this.

Notice: the T5 has white reflectors? Not sure on those? Any suggestion?

I saw an ATI fixture for sale on R2R with white reflectors as well. As far as I know ATI should be polished aluminum. So I'm fairly certain his was a knockoff.

All that said I've never owned a newer T5 unit. I would imagine the reflectors should be a polished aluminum to reflect anything. White isn't very reflective.

Found this one and got it off eBay.

I really like this - it a 6 bulb T5 with the dimensions as 24.9 x 13.9 x 3.4 inches and 11 pounds and tank mount. The distance between the 2nd and 5th light it around 7 3/4 inches which gives me enough space to put the radion in. It also has 2 fans built in so it might just work out perfect.

Will keep the post updated as we chime along ...

See here for retail information: http://www.marineandreef.com/AquaticLife_T5_HO_24_6_Lamp_Fixture_Lunar_Lights_p/RAL01131.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4ZOwBRDoxpjAvPXAl5MBEiQAEek_3j5l3TfpgBlwJrJ6iGQCp19HkFBtfnkNZSTPRzee_w4aApu38P8HAQ

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I am waiting for my 24" 6 bulb light fixture so that I can retro a Radion in it. what bulbs would be a good combination?

I am looking at using the T5 to run 4~5 hrs to supplement the radion for color and growth of SPS and LPS but am not sure which combination of bulbs to go with.

Here is ATI's suggestion:

OPTION 1:

4-Bulb combination : 16K - 20K - Bluish white with a noticable blue and red under-tone

• 3 ATI Blue Plus
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus

OPTION 2:

4-Bulb combination :

• 12K - 16K - Cool white with a noticable blue and red under-tone
  • 2 ATI Blue Plus
  • 2 ATI Coral Plus

OPTION 3:

4-Bulb combination

• 2 ATI Blue Plus
  • 1 ATI Aquablue Special
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus

Any suggestions: I am leaning towards option 3.....

Update 09/30:

Retrofit Design.

I got a few reflectors (not the best) and and working on the design of how to get the radion and t5 to work. The 6 bulb unit can take only take in 2 bulbs with the radion. Any bigger unit it is serious kill due to light spillage.

Here are some pics:

Acyrlic/Plexi glass for support to mount radion (need to cut to size and mount to frame)

21840486045_c74da0b5d1_k.jpg

Relfectors in place (need to cut metal clips to mount since it is shorter. they say 24" but not really there). The reflectors are not very well reflective. I am seriously thinking of cutting the Aquatic reflector so I can fit it in.

21850137481_fc082411a0_k.jpg

Radion in place

21828626082_64ea6b0e4a_k.jpg

Radion touching reflector ( need to figure out either insulation or bed the reflector)

21840483435_967c9ecd37_k.jpg

Final look

21652611008_7ab486cdd4_k.jpg

I am going to run this for some time w/o mounting to check out heat issues. I don't thing there is a problem since the Auaticlife and radion fans are both there. if any if will be the body of the radion heading up and if so I can just plug another fan from radion shack to the LED port of the aquaticlife.

Looks good. Are you sure you did not miss the protective film to remove on the reflectors, just a thought. I would go with blue plus and adjust whites through the radion...JMO. What does the top look like.

The bulb won't get hot enough to melt the plastic or anything through the reflector. The radion fan and if using it the AL fan will keep it super cool. Nice job!

Looks good. Are you sure you did not miss the protective film to remove on the reflectors, just a thought. I would go with blue plus and adjust whites through the radion...JMO. What does the top look like.

The bulb won't get hot enough to melt the plastic or anything through the reflector. The radion fan and if using it the AL fan will keep it super cool. Nice job!

Crap .. I did not know there is a protective film on the reflectors. I will check and see. I also ordered these : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DTU4JA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

If these reflectors are better then am going to return the retrokit since all I need is reflectors. I ran the right for 30 mins and it is all cool. I don't need another fan.

The Top part of the case is as it (see above post , 2-3 post back). It will have 4 holes through which I screw the Plexiglas and on the Plexiglas i mount the radion

I still need the bulbs and and a hanging kit. I don't want to drill holes on the wall and hang but seems no option so far. The unit is heavy ~ 11 lbs (not sure)

As foe the bulbs not sure yet -- I am going to get 2 of the same kind (either Aquablue special,Blueplus or coral plus), I have no idea now ...might as well get 2 of each and hit and trial method. I am essentially looking for color in corals and decent growth and obviously reduce shadows.

Archived