Top Shelf Aquatics

TJ's Tall Jungle - New FTS & Pics

TJ_Burton

Updates:

I pieced together my air circulation unit - used centrifugal laptop fan hooked up to a 12V power supply with built in control knob (re-purposed Cobalt Neo Flow power supply). Stuck that into a small box I constructed from thin PVCX sheet. Made a couple air channels to create a wider more laminar flow, and screened off the intake (from below) and the output (forward facing). Embedded a magnet in the top of the case for magnetic mounting too - made the most sense to me ;)

12074484_10153442552933283_3686538219109

12096592_10153442552958283_8871731575587

12115565_10153442552983283_1725910425825

Today I am going to try and figure out which broms I am going to put into this enclosure. I have a lot to choose from, and I have a few 'themes' in mind. Do I go for all bright, crazy, contrasting broms? Do I go with mostly dark and toothy, or maybe keep it all bright pink? Various sizes, or all the minis?

Anyways,
I will figure that out :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the broms picked out and in place! Ended up with the following:

- Wild Tiger
- Tar Baby
- 2 of Dartanion
- Hannibal Lector F2

- Alley Cat

All are placed on the wood stump itself and have plenty of drainage. Orchids are still not in their final resting places, but that will come later on. Still waiting to get leaf litter, tropical moss paste, and a few other things before I grab the frogs. Looks like I am going with 4 R. vanzolini for this setup.

Going to do a Biopod later on with 5 or 6 Mantella Madagascariensis! That will be a Christmas present to myself though ;)

12106714_10153453181598283_2933681478694

So I finally settled on a group of 4 Ranitomeya vanzolinii, hopefully 3 males and one female, from Understory Enterprises.
Also picking up a few ficus sp, pepperomi sp, and a rare climbing vine that I am in LOVE with, Burgundy/Bronze Marcgravia.

Picking them up mid November at a local pet expo!

You are killing me with this setup. Great job on the center piece. I think you caused me to catch the bug, been researching these now for 3 days... :rolleyes: Awesome build. Just curious since I have never setup one, do you feel like the dimensions on this one are more than fine or would you go with the next step up (24" X 18" X 36")?

You are killing me with this setup. Great job on the center piece. I think you caused me to catch the bug, been researching these now for 3 days... :rolleyes: Awesome build. Just curious since I have never setup one, do you feel like the dimensions on this one are more than fine or would you go with the next step up (24" X 18" X 36")?

Glad to hear it!

Honestly those dims are awesome as well if you are keeping arboreal frogs like Ranitomeya sp, Pumilio sp, etc.

If you plan to keep Phylobates, Dendrobates, Ameerga, or alike species, you'll want more floor space than height.

Did you see the blog I put together?

Header-Reefs-Vs-Vivs.jpg

Glad to hear it!

Honestly those dims are awesome as well if you are keeping arboreal frogs like Ranitomeya sp, Pumilio sp, etc.

If you plan to keep Phylobates, Dendrobates, Ameerga, or alike species, you'll want more floor space than height.

Did you see the blog I put together?

Header-Reefs-Vs-Vivs.jpg

No, thanks for the heads up! Your writing is as impressive as your setup! Bravo! I think I will go with the smaller one. If history serves me well, less is more! Now if I can just get my hands on lap top fan unit like yours, I'll be set. Keep up the great work. Look forward to following along and thanks again for sharing this build.

No, thanks for the heads up! Your writing is as impressive as your setup! Bravo! I think I will go with the smaller one. If history serves me well, less is more! Now if I can just get my hands on lap top fan unit like yours, I'll be set. Keep up the great work. Look forward to following along and thanks again for sharing this build.

This is the one I used: Centrifugal Laptop Fan 12v DC

Hey question for fellow canadian where do you order your plants from ?

Bromeliads I generally import myself (very large numbers are required, so I only do it when I am completely out) but I have also seen really nice compact neoregelia sp at Big Al's Mississauga & Scarborough.

Orchids I purchase from Cloud's Orchids.

I buy various ficus, peperomia, and other oddball plants from Understory Enterprises.

Anubias, mosses, and various other aquatic/semi-aquatic plants I purchase from Big Al's.

Bromeliads I generally import myself (very large numbers are required, so I only do it when I am completely out) but I have also seen really nice compact neoregelia sp at Big Al's Mississauga & Scarborough.

Orchids I purchase from Cloud's Orchids.

I buy various ficus, peperomia, and other oddball plants from Understory Enterprises.

Anubias, mosses, and various other aquatic/semi-aquatic plants I purchase from Big Al's.

I actually work from big al's whitby never had any other semi aquatice other than green hedge and anubias

I actually work from big al's whitby never had any other semi aquatice other than green hedge and anubias

Java Fern, Java Moss, Mondo Grass, Flame Moss, Christmas Moss, Weeping Moss, Baby Tears, Red Ludwigia, Hygrophila, Riccia, Hydreocotyle, Sensitive Plant, etc. I have all purchased from Big Al's in the past, and all of them can be grow terrestrially provided they have adequate RH.

So may be a little bit before I update this thread with new photos and such. My little daughter Josephine made her entrance into the world the other night!!!

Here we are at the hospital; tuckered right out and dying to get home (which we are now, yesss!)

12195808_10153475926723283_1558331788352

Congrats to the both of you buddy! Enjoy every moment, they are fleeting. Our Emma turns two pretty soon and it has flown by in a blink of an eye!

Archived