Innovative Marine Aquariums

Magnesium levels- too high?

dribblet

So I have a 20gallon mixed reef, mainly LPS, with some new SPS frags. Inverts and two clowns in the tank as well. I use redsea's coral pro salt, and RO water that I get from my BRS setup hooked to my sink. My measurements have been steady for a while now. I recently started testing magnesium and alkalinity with redsea's foundation test kit. My readings are as follows:

Temp - 80 F

SG - 1.025

pH - 8? -> My pH probe recently broke. Tested with API's test kit. Color is hard to see.

Ammonia - 0 ppm

Nitrite - 0 ppm

Nitrate - 1 ppm

Calcium - 400 ppm

KH - 8.4 dkh

Phosphate - 0.01 ppm

Magnesium - 1440 ppm

So my pH has been running a little low (7.5, 7.8, 8.0) and I decided to try and fix that problem while also maintaining my calcium (just added sps corals) by dosing with Kalkwasser in my ATO. I started with 1/2 teaspoon for a gallon of water. My pH has raised a little bit, but now my Magnesium level is at 1600 ppm, and my calcium is at 470 ppm. I'm scared that it is too high, and wonder what would have caused this to happen.

Ideas? Is this an emergency? Nothing looks like it's dying :c

I would not raise it any but I don't think it is an emergency by any means. If everything looks healthy and happy then it is not hurting a thing. I would probably use less kalk at least until your sps start really growing. It takes them a while to get acclimated and happy before they start to use up large amounts of calcium. Just keep testing over the next few weeks and if your levels start to drop add some more but your levels could drop quite a bit before it would be a concern.

the only thing that is going to kill stuff faster than a swing of a parameter in one direction is the swing of it again in the opposite direction

I think you'll be fine, Mg is ok and Ca. will gradually be consumed.

You make guy try and get a little more gas exchange also to help your ph. More surface agitation, open windows in the room to let fresh air in, run skimmer line outside... Opening the windows when it wasn't really hot outside really helped my ph. I wouldn't worry about the other levels but I would back off on the kalk some like everyone said. I had plans of running my kalk in my ato but never got around to it. My monti cap is groaning like crazy and my two part doseing covers it for now.

Archived