Top Shelf Aquatics

How big of a WC would you do?

dragonxflare

In a 49 gallon tank + 30 gallon sump, how many gallon water change per week would you do?

I am currently only doing 5 gallons per week, I am debating on upping it, to 10g per week. Thoughts? Sps heavy tank (mostly frags)

I think alot of people worry about a certain number, if you're exporting nutrients fast enough and corals arent using elements faster than you can keep up with weekly changes, then you can get away with less per week or more time in between.

As just stated, it all depends. I think you are doing fine at 5 per week at the moment, but that may change as the things in your tank change. Keep doing what you are know, and change as your tank tells you it needs something.

Happy Reefing!

As an example, I have a 10G and a 28G cube. I change 3.5G for the 28G and 1G for the 10G. My bioload is small though, and this keeps my nitrates at 10ppm or less. I think that the rule of thumb is 15% per week WC I believe, so in your case it's like 6G per week, but 10G is better. I would keep it right where you are at right now and just monitor nitrates to see how high they are a week after you change your water. It also depends on your bioload, how heavy you feed, how much actual volume of water you have, etc. Good luck and adjust accordingly.

Archived