Cultivated Reef

Geek'S 25g IM Lagoon - total darkness

Proudgeek

itsyahboydanny

Here is the new setup. All remaining items will arrive this week and the tank will be wet on Halloween :o:scarry:

2015-10-15-lagoon.jpg

Harry, it was very nice to meet you today. The frags look good! Thank you so much. See the front row below:

2015-10-25-Frag-rack.jpg

While down south, I stopped by Reeftop Aquariums and picked up a blue florida ricordea. The green banded goby always photobombs...

2015-10-25-FLRicordea-Voldemort.jpg

Today's BC14 FTS. This will be the last one before all gets moved to the lagoon on Saturday.

2015-10-15-BC14-FTS.jpg

can we get a quick review of the stand? your impressions, and issues? should we buy it?

That light is sleek, will go nice with the stand. I cant wait to see this tank grow, you and the few others with the Fusion lagoons are going to be our guinea pigs to essentially test out the tank for us ;) . Good luck ill be here following along.

can we get a quick review of the stand? your impressions, and issues? should we buy it?

Unfortunately, this has a tricky answer. Also, check Dave Fason's 25G laggon build thread as he posted his own review there.

Do I like the stand? It looks nice and is functional. However, a handful of parts had manufacturing defects and both stands I received were damaged while in transit. Let's blame the UPS guy for that. Would I buy again? Probably... but assembled from an LFS so that I could properly inspect it before taking it home. At the end of the day, IM stood by their product and shipped the appropriate replacements twice but the process was time consuming. Living on the opposite side of the country did not help manage my frustrations with the long transit times in between. I am satisfied with the way MD supported my issue as well. They were very efficient and on top of my issue.

That light is sleek, will go nice with the stand. I cant wait to see this tank grow, you and the few others with the Fusion lagoons are going to be our guinea pigs to essentially test out the tank for us ;) . Good luck ill be here following along.

Thanks! Early adoption has its pro's and con's... Glad to help :scarry:

• Like 1

Hi. Been following this. My Lagoon 50 has been up for a week now. Loving it. It is stunningly beautiful. I have two Prime Leds on it. The stand is great and nice looking. It was already assembled so I had no problems.

For this build, I decided to test out what I have gathered to be the top 3 aquarium online merchants. Here are my findings:

Marine Depot

- Good pre sales support

- Great communication and customer service

- Fast shipping

Score: +1

Bulk Reef Supply

- Placed order, received email confirmation. They called shortly after for information verification and order shipped same day

- Great communication and customer service

Score: +1

Drs Forster & Smith

- Placed order at 1:18 PM Eastern and quickly received email confirmation. No other contact was made by them.

- Called the day after to find out when the order would ship as I had not received a "shipped" status update. The CSR stated that my order had been cancelled as they tried contacting me to verify information but failed. I stated that I had not received any calls or emails and she then proceeded to validate my contact information. Surprisingly, it was correct :rolleyes: . She stated that since the order was cancelled, I would have to order again throught the website if I wanted to re-place the order. I declined and informed her that I had decided to go with another merchant and to please send me an email with the order cancellation details. I immediately received the cancellation confirmation.

Score: -1

Hi. Been following this. My Lagoon 50 has been up for a week now. Loving it. It is stunningly beautiful. I have two Prime Leds on it. The stand is great and nice looking. It was already assembled so I had no problems.

Great! The 50g is such a beauty. Congrats.

• Like 2

Ok, so no tank move today. Dave is running a little late (and so am I) but I am sure the wait will be worth it.

I received the intank baskets and they fit perfectly! Could not be any happier with that purchase.

The DRSFS purchase I reviewed above was for new salt mix, sand, and a couple of small items. As I had to go to Chicago Wednesday through Friday, I decided not to order anything online as I would just pick up locally today to complete the move over the weekend. Even though the move won't happen, I'll be heading out this morning to pick up the remaining items and get the tank wet.

Pics or it never happened

Sorry but we ended up going to the rocket-heat game :)

The water is still settling from the fill... Just turned on the return pump to help clear it up. Will post something tomorrow.

Just giving you grief ;) Good to hear it was a great time.

Now take that IM sticker off the tank :P It will look even better.....

I hear you. And it's crooked.
  • Like 1

The DUO finally arrived! It is gorgeous... Unfortunately, i will not be able to get it going tonight. Will post photos once i mount and program it over the weekend.

• Like 1

The daily water evaporation is about 48 oz... whereas the BC14 is about 4 oz. I know the 14 is smaller and covered but i was not expecting it to be this much difference. Will have to get the ATO right away. Thoughts?

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

The daily water evaporation is about 48 oz... whereas the BC14 is about 4 oz. I know the 14 is smaller and covered but i was not expecting it to be this much difference. Will have to get the ATO right away. Thoughts?

I'm a huge fan of the Hydor ATO on marine depot. Once sensor goes in the tank and that's it. Very efficient. Use it on my 20 with an aqua lifter.

Super excited to see how your build turns out. I really wish they had the lagoon tanks when they first came out with the fusion tanks. I love the dimensions of it.

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of the Hydor ATO on marine depot. Once sensor goes in the tank and that's it. Very efficient. Use it on my 20 with an aqua lifter.

Super excited to see how your build turns out. I really wish they had the lagoon tanks when they first came out with the fusion tanks. I love the dimensions of it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking tunze all along but will research the hydor as well. At this point, I'll wait for Black Friday/cyber Monday if I can.

• Like 1

oh man no kidding on the evaporation.my lagoon 50 I have to fill with ro every single day it is almost empty. I have the Tunze nano ATO from my biocube but have had to replace the pump once already and just sent it to Tunze again last week he thinks it is the circuit now. Once I get it back will see how it goes otherwise going to get something else.

Are you using two media baskets in the 25? In my 50 I am using one, on the other side just using the intank floss holder. So far all is clean and healthy. Thinking of starting a refugium with another media basket though.

oh man no kidding on the evaporation.my lagoon 50 I have to fill with ro every single day it is almost empty. I have the Tunze nano ATO from my biocube but have had to replace the pump once already and just sent it to Tunze again last week he thinks it is the circuit now. Once I get it back will see how it goes otherwise going to get something else.

Are you using two media baskets in the 25? In my 50 I am using one, on the other side just using the intank floss holder. So far all is clean and healthy. Thinking of starting a refugium with another media basket though.

I have two media baskets and they are great for sure. Note that i have not moved my livestock in yet as Dave is working on an adjustment for my DUO. The light looks insane though :)

With the biocube, i could be gone for a few days without worrying about water levels and salinity. Those days are gone for the time being...

Good luck with the pump.

• Like 1

The BC14 is now out in the covered patio pumping fresh water with a touch of vinegar. This means that....... I am all set up with the lagoon. It truly looks gorgeous. Most corals already opened up and are looking great. Even the fish gave me a big fins up once they checked out their new place.

In protection of my green banded goby, I just finished putting together the BRS diy screen with 1/8" netting and it looks great as well. I was expecting an eye sore but I really like the look. My son helped with the screen and having a helper makes all the difference in the world...

Feeding the tank soon and then going to bed.... Photos tomorrow.... Yes, I know. Sorry.