SaltCritters.com

Sump/Refugium question

Frankie_garcia

Frankie_garcia

Hello all,

i am starting a nano tank in the living room, i have been into reef aquarium for quite a while and had a few questions. in this stand for the nano tank it will only fit a 10gal aquarium.

is there any point or help in water quality to put a 10 gallon refugium or should i go with the 20long?

going with the 20 long would require me to build a new stand.

thanks in advance for the replies.

Toss in a SCA-301 skimmer and a GFO/Carbon reactor. Both of those would easily fit in a 10 gallon. You could also have a refugium in the middle section as well and that would be more than enough for your tank.

Hello all,

i am starting a nano tank in the living room, i have been into reef aquarium for quite a while and had a few questions. in this stand for the nano tank it will only fit a 10gal aquarium.

is there any point or help in water quality to put a 10 gallon refugium or should i go with the 20long?

going with the 20 long would require me to build a new stand.

thanks in advance for the replies.

Either one will be awesome with this :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364870-dlux-sump-kits-for-glass-aquariums-10g20l40b/

20L is better (more refugium area) but depend on how big your nano tank is, 10G might just be good enough.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of getting the biggest sump possible. The extra volume is great for stability in a nano, and you'll never regret having enough room for equipment.

That said: there's many ways to successfully run a tank. If it's easy and doable, go big. If it's hard and stressful and un-fun...well, there's plenty of good tanks with small sumps.

I once had a 5 gallon sump/fuge on a 25 gallon cube tank. I don't think the fuge offered nutrient export but it did provide a nice place for pods. But most of all it hid equipment and also slightly raised the tanks overall water volume. A 10 is double the size so yes I feel it is absolutely worth it! Even if it is to just hide pumps, skimmer, controllers/power strips, reactors, etc.

Archived