ReefCleaners.org

5 gallon stocking opinions, primarily shrimp and crabs

lkoechle

So, my husband is giving me a tentative go ahead to build a new tank. My plan is a 5.5 gallon DIY AIO. Our goal for this tank is to experiment with:

Macros and gorgs (I want a seahorse tank someday and would like to go this route, so figured I could experiment small and see if I liked it)

SPS care with no skimmer or sump

^--------------------------------------------^

This is the primary reason for this tank. We are looking at moving next year and would like to frag some of our favorite sps to keep. Since we'll be in an apartment most likely while house hunting, this pico would be the primary tank until we can buy a house and set up our dream Cadlights Artisan II 150 build. I would like to already have my methods down for caring for this tank so I'm not being a stay at home mom with an infant, a toddler, a cat, and a greyhound all in an apartment while figuring out a routine for the tank.

But, I want movement and livestock. How many shrimp/crabs can I cram into this tank? Will shrimp eventually kill each other/over crowd? I haven't been able to find good information on this except that everyone on my list should peacefully co-exist.

What I'm looking at is:

3 sexy shrimp

1 pom pom crab

1 venus anemone shrimp (or pederson shrimp, which do you like?)

1 Randall's shrimp

and possibly a blackray goby (or other tiny prawn goby, open for suggestions) for the randall's shrimp.

Thoughts on this list? The goby would be added last and is dependent on the nitrate levels and how everything else is going on in the tank. I'm hoping the macros will help a lot with nutrient export combined with daily or every other day 10% water changes.

Opinions on list?

Looks good. I have a five gallon that is similarly stocked. Would recommend getting pellets so the inverts don't have to try chasing things out of the water column. It's usually helpful to add the pistol and shrimp goby at the same time so they set up shop together. I have a Pederson's and love it. Always moving and swimming and the highlighter blue color is a cool accent on the body.

Archived