Cultivated Reef

tlb's 17g Mr. Aqua

tlb

Current tank shot 11/25/15:

PMzOPAw.jpg?1

After years of freshwater tanks and telling myself I wouldn't, I've finally caved and started a reef. Too much forum lurking and video watching got the best of me, and I just built a little fish tank rack in my shop and had and empty 17gal Mr. Aqua sitting around so why the hell not. Plan on keeping it simple to start with live rock as my only filtration, and will add a HOB or skimmer if needed.

Only livestock plan for now is a pair of clowns, maybe a small third fish down the road. Haven't given tons of thought to exact corals yet, probably a beginner smorgasbord.

Tanks specs:

-17gal Mr. Aqua rimless

-165w mars aqua led

-Jebao RW-4

-eheim 50w heater

The beginning:

o0QEpse.jpg

The tank rack (in progress):

42K5Crr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tank has been cycled for a couple weeks now, finally got some livestock in it this week.

i2qyuHf.jpg

Pair of ocellaris:

SwrRwII.jpg

Picked up a some zoas to test the waters, not sure what they are:

aveCfzE.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had a nice cycle of cyano and a bit of hair algae over the last month. Stayed consistent with my water changes and cyano removal, and everything cleared up after a few weeks. Tank seems happy right now, parameters are staying stable and noticeable growth on the corals.

Full tank shot:

VDhbnRN.jpg

This was two heads when I got it, currently spitting into 5:

euLhgbx.jpg

Acan seems to be constantly changing colors:

7HM2awk.jpg

Bonus shot of my planted jungle(needs a trim):

6FwWObI.jpg

New coral day! Got a shipment of frags and a rock anemone today. Got another zoa, a nice looking ricordea, a bunch of lps, and a few cheap sps to test the waters. Put the rock nem right where I wanted, and it's stayed there so far. I'll try and get some better pics up this weekend, need to work at getting some better pics out of my DSLR. PMzOPAw.jpg?1

6Kakb6b.jpg

Archived