Innovative Marine Aquariums

Deep Blue 80 Breeder Build

Gooburz

Ok so hear me out on this one, I've become obsessed with the Deep Blue 80 breeder tank and I found a LFS that carries them and can order them. So my thought process was to set the tank up post deployment without a sump/fuge for the year and a half we will have in that house. After that time we will be buying a home and then when we moved I'd drill the tank and plum it for a sump at it's final destination.

My reasoning for that is it would be a nightmare moving the whole system while it had a sump and plumed. I've moved my tanks many times so moving isn't a big deal for me.

Now during that time I'd still continue to use my ESHOPPS 150HOB rated for a 100 gal and do 25 gallon water changes every couple of weeks, ATO unit added as well. I've been running sumpless on my 40 breeder and 20L and had no issues for the past 3 years so I don't see it being a issue with the 80 breeder for a little over a year. Wanted to get some people's inputs on it, figure during that year too I can save up some more money and get higher end equipment for it as well.

Some may say why not wait and upgrade to the 80 breeder once I move.......really, tell a reefer not to upgrade when they have a chance lol.

Is this the shallow reef tank by deep blue? If so, its already drilled and reef ready. If I were you, I would just sump it now. It's not much more difficult to move a tank with a sump vs. Without one. Just add unions to your piping and it makes it easy to connect and disconnect

Is this the shallow reef tank by deep blue? If so, its already drilled and reef ready. If I were you, I would just sump it now. It's not much more difficult to move a tank with a sump vs. Without one. Just add unions to your piping and it makes it easy to connect and disconnect

The tank isn't reef ready, they make a reef ready model but I'm not a fan of that I'd rather have an overflow box. It would be plenty difficult taking down all the plumbing and then having to redo it once I'm at the new place. have you moved a tank before?

I would say waiting to drill it post move will create some more nightmares later.

Such as? I'm not opposed but please be specific.

The tank isn't reef ready, they make a reef ready model but I'm not a fan of that I'd rather have an overflow box. It would be plenty difficult taking down all the plumbing and then having to redo it once I'm at the new place. have you moved a tank before?

Such as? I'm not opposed but please be specific.

I have move two tanks before. One freshwater and one reef tank. Was not bad at all. I had a 20 gallon tank filled with saltwater at my new place set up and I added the coral, live rock, and fish to it. They stayed in there for 2 days while I had time to drain the large tank, clean the sand out, and clean it up ready to move. Once I got the tank and stand to the new place i added new sand because the old stuff was full of junk and i didn't wanna start a large cycle. After the large tank was running at the new place I added all the stuff back and did not have any loses

I have move two tanks before. One freshwater and one reef tank. Was not bad at all. I had a 20 gallon tank filled with saltwater at my new place set up and I added the coral, live rock, and fish to it. They stayed in there for 2 days while I had time to drain the large tank, clean the sand out, and clean it up ready to move. Once I got the tank and stand to the new place i added new sand because the old stuff was full of junk and i didn't wanna start a large cycle. After the large tank was running at the new place I added all the stuff back and did not have any loses

That's why I was thinking of waiting till I'm in the house we will be buying because I don't wana break down plumbing and a whole sump. I figured once we move do my move like I always do and I'll have everything prepped for drilling once we move to the new place.

Just make sure you have a budget or savings set aside for it. Moving is expensive as hell. I wish I had some set aside

Budget will come out of money I've saved on deployment and moving I won't have to pay for, the military pays for that for me so that one is a freebie :)

I'm guessing sump it first will just be the best thing to do right off the bat. I think what I'll do is get their reef ready rimless model and then just use my ESHOPS PSK-100 HOB for a month or 2 tops until I can set a little aside for the Bubble Mag Curve 5. The ESHOPPS is rated for 100 gal so I think it can do fine for a month or 2. The rest I'll just buy for it off the bat.

Budget will come out of money I've saved on deployment and moving I won't have to pay for, the military pays for that for me so that one is a freebie :)

I'm guessing sump it first will just be the best thing to do right off the bat. I think what I'll do is get their reef ready rimless model and then just use my ESHOPS PSK-100 HOB for a month or 2 tops until I can set a little aside for the Bubble Mag Curve 5. The ESHOPPS is rated for 100 gal so I think it can do fine for a month or 2. The rest I'll just buy for it off the bat.

Yup. I would sump it from the beginning. You can run the ESHOPPS in the sump even to keep the display tank looking pretty. Make sure you get a sump big enough for everything you want. The owner of my LFS has the deep blue 80 shallow and put the same size tank for the sump (not drilled) and runs a deep sand bed, mangroves, refuge, has a frag rack, skimmer, and room for all the other stuff he runs on the tank down there. Works great!

As long as you use unions, the plumbing should be really easy to take apart. It will take a little more time but all you would really need to do is label which parts go where and you're done. The toughest part is going to be moving the contents of your display (live rock, corals, sand, fish, etc.) but that will be tough regardless of if you have a sump or not.

Yup. I would sump it from the beginning. You can run the ESHOPPS in the sump even to keep the display tank looking pretty. Make sure you get a sump big enough for everything you want. The owner of my LFS has the deep blue 80 shallow and put the same size tank for the sump (not drilled) and runs a deep sand bed, mangroves, refuge, has a frag rack, skimmer, and room for all the other stuff he runs on the tank down there. Works great!

I'm going to use my display tank, the 40 breeder as the sump with no baffles, going to use a small DIY plastic crate for live rock and chaeto grow out. I'll wind up running the sump a bit deeper to make sure the ESHOPPS runs smoothly down there, if not I have no problem hanging it on the DT for a couple months, I plan on painting the back of the display anyways.

Hopefully I can sell my PAR38's with goosenecks, ESHOPPS, and current LED light afterwards to offset some of the costs.

As long as you use unions, the plumbing should be really easy to take apart. It will take a little more time but all you would really need to do is label which parts go where and you're done. The toughest part is going to be moving the contents of your display (live rock, corals, sand, fish, etc.) but that will be tough regardless of if you have a sump or not.

I'm going to use the flex tubing for the sump and use a heat gun to bend it the way needed. I figure that would be the easiest way. As far as moving I think after like 4 times now I have it down to a science. Plus once I do move it won't be out of state, it will be a in state local move maybe 15 min away from where I am now which will make life SO much easier.

Archived