Pod Your Reef

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

I enjoyed your macro tank, now I'll start on this one. Just been busy that I didn't notice it started a month ago.

Oh wow has it been that long already? I guess I should give it a name then :lol:

Here's the soapfish pre-dinner

IMG_852922_zpstpaqdccc.jpg

He's still very shy, he only comes out after I turn off the pump and put food in the water.

• Like 9

Well it turned out beautifully! How did you have the camera set? Flash with manual or shutter-speed priority? My fish pictures always seem to turn out well mostly by dumb luck :rolleyes:

Well it turned out beautifully! How did you have the camera set? Flash with manual or shutter-speed priority? My fish pictures always seem to turn out well mostly by dumb luck :rolleyes:

Thanks! I do have a lot of practice photographing fish though! (I do all the pics for my LFS)

I always use manual. For that shot I did ISO 100, f/10, at 55mm (used the 18-55mm stock lens)

• Like 1

Thanks! I do have a lot of practice photographing fish though! (I do all the pics for my LFS)

I always use manual. For that shot I did ISO 100, f/10, at 55mm (used the 18-55mm stock lens)

Do you set the shutter speed too? I gotta go practice :)

Do you set the shutter speed too? I gotta go practice :)

Whoops I forgot to add that. I'll have to check later what I used for that shot, but when using flash I usually use 1/100 or something around there. The flash freezes movement so it's not a big deal

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It was nice to meet you last night. There were actually more than a few people there last night from NR. Hopefully SDMAS starts doing the monthly meetings again. In the past they have always had great speakers and good raffle prizes. SDREEFS is a great local forum and over the years I have met some really cool people.

That's a cool fish yoshii. But don't they get super big? I dont know anything about soapfish..

He will definitely outgrow this tank, but at his current size, a smaller tank is better.

It was nice to meet you last night. There were actually more than a few people there last night from NR. Hopefully SDMAS starts doing the monthly meetings again. In the past they have always had great speakers and good raffle prizes. SDREEFS is a great local forum and over the years I have met some really cool people.

It was nice to meet you too!

I still need to post on SDreefs :lol:

For everyone else, look at how beautiful the hotel/convention center is for MACNA!

2015-10-27%2008.28.10.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up this new macro from Aquatic Warehouse, idk what it is, but it's really pretty! (sorry for the blurry pic)

IMG_8541_zpsejeqg9xr.jpg

In school news, I'm signing up for classes and I'm super excited to be taking this class next quarter! omgomgomg

Screenshot_8_zpsjsbjg43m.jpg

• Like 8

If there are any veterans reading this thread, thank you for your service, you guys are the strongest of all of us :)

In fishy news,

Bye bye little guy

20151110_150001_zps5kbvoooh.jpg

Hi new, slightly-bigger little guy

20151110_202854_zpsre4n3eja.jpg

• Like 14

Picked up this new macro from Aquatic Warehouse, idk what it is, but it's really pretty! (sorry for the blurry pic)

IMG_8541_zpsejeqg9xr.jpg

In school news, I'm signing up for classes and I'm super excited to be taking this class next quarter! omgomgomg

Screenshot_8_zpsjsbjg43m.jpg

Love this macro, Yoshii! I don't see any blurry in that photo :)

Cool!

did the soapfish get too big?

what is the new guy? Hi fin goby?

No, but he hid all the time and only came out when I was feeding :( I thought over time he'd become less shy, but he stayed the same.

It's a Bangaii Cardinal. I think I might pick up another one later. Although right now it's being a picky eater and will only eat Omega Brine :angry:

Love this macro, Yoshii! I don't see any blurry in that photo :)

Haha thanks! I need to ID it, but I'm lazy :lol:

I have the same tank. Thanks for the idea on the pump, the stock definitely needs an upgrade.

Cool! Glad to see some other people with this tank :)

I currently have my Mini Jet 606 at the 2nd (middle) stop, but I'm considering lowering it to the lowest setting cause the flow is pretty strong.

No, but he hid all the time and only came out when I was feeding :( I thought over time he'd become less shy, but he stayed the same.

Pity,

Its always the cutest ones that are shy...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When you haven't gone on NR in forever... omgomgomg

NR%20Notifications.jpg

Ok, some quick tank updates! (currently on a study break)

I've made some changes to the content of this tank, as I had to move it back home for Christmas break, and then move it back to SD after New Year's (3 week gap). I'm so glad this is a tiny tank, but it was still kinda a pain to move since I was getting a ride with a friend back to the bay. Ok, mostly it was a pain for the livestock, not me :lol: So I've transitioned this tank to more of a macros/softies tank. I took out the SPS, fishie, and most of the gorgs. As much as I love them, I figured since I'm going to be moving this tank a lot I'd rather do something simple but something I'd still like. Also, I stuck a heater in for winter but lately we've been in a heat wave (80s) so currently it's out.

I finally found where to get the free filtered seawater at Scripps!! :lol: Turns out I pass by it on the way to class.

School is busy, but awesome. My phycology class is as amazing as I thought it would be! It's a 5 hour long class, but it gets out right at sunset so I get this sunset view at the beach twice a week B)

Insta%20small_1.jpg

*searches phone for any pictures of tank*

Ok, found one! This is after I moved it across my desk the other week.

If you couldn't tell, the Caulerpa in the back keeps growing out above everything and has been shading out some other macros.

2016-02-16%2021.50.58.jpg

• Like 9

It's great you manage to keep a tank despite living so far from home. Good to hear that school is treating you well!

I hope you're doing well too! :) I need to go through everyone's threads and update myself!

It looks nice and it's great that you can bring it with you wherever you go! And welcome back - happy to hear school is going well :)

Thanks, I really missed you all :wub:

• Like 1